Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4061578 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27250 on: January 14, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
What is probably true is that it will most likely force Notre Dame to go undefeated to get into the playoff since they'll never have that 13th data point.  And if that drives them to join a conference, that's probably the closest thing to a realignment end game that we'll see in the next 20-30 years.

The 13th data point is going to hammer Notre Dame yearly, and you're probably right that if anything gets them into a conference, it's that.  In my view, the ONLY justification for going to round robin + championship game model is to benefit your expansion cause (you can sell more money + 13th data point/playoff berth to potential candidates). Doing this probably screws Notre Dame into joining a conference, BUT I don't see any reasonable way they end up in the Big 12, so what's the actual point?  Hope FSU and Clemson get tired of not making money and eventually defect?  That's possible I guess, but not imminent.

Does Boren have a good relationship with ND? I know Dodds did and was pursuing the Irish because he's a boss.

Of course the easiest interpretation is that Boren is just running his mouth and/or is senile -- he and Bowlsby have contradicted each other so often it's comical.

I'd assume ND would join the ACC. Then they would go get UConn or something and be done with it.

Healthy ACC + revenue strong/politically tangled Big 12 probably stops most realignment. Doesn't give the Big 10 or SEC much to draw from.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27251 on: January 14, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
in a round robin the tie breakers should be:

Head to head is the first and then ooc opponents record

done

a champ game with a round robin is terrible
Just do highest CFP rank as the second tiebreaker.  That's what we actually want.

I think we'd need to have that poll come out on Sunday instead of Tuesday (is that what it is?) for that to make sense.

I'm not sure that turnaround time is enough to get people to get tickets and book travel to the neutral site. 

And I'm assuming it's a neutral site if Bowlsby is talking about $25-35 million for valuation of that game.

The final poll does come out on Sunday, how in the world do you not know that?

I didn't pay much attention to the bowl season this year.

Wait...I mean the poll before the final Saturday of games. That's still Tuesday, right? 

The final, final one can be whenever, but what I'm saying is that it would have to come out the Sunday after Thanksgiving because the title game is the first weekend of Dec. 

Offline davegladow

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eyeblack Odyssey
« Reply #27252 on: January 14, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
What is probably true is that it will most likely force Notre Dame to go undefeated to get into the playoff since they'll never have that 13th data point.  And if that drives them to join a conference, that's probably the closest thing to a realignment end game that we'll see in the next 20-30 years.

The 13th data point is going to hammer Notre Dame yearly, and you're probably right that if anything gets them into a conference, it's that.  In my view, the ONLY justification for going to round robin + championship game model is to benefit your expansion cause (you can sell more money + 13th data point/playoff berth to potential candidates). Doing this probably screws Notre Dame into joining a conference, BUT I don't see any reasonable way they end up in the Big 12, so what's the actual point?  Hope FSU and Clemson get tired of not making money and eventually defect?  That's possible I guess, but not imminent.

Does Boren have a good relationship with ND? I know Dodds did and was pursuing the Irish because he's a boss.

Of course the easiest interpretation is that Boren is just running his mouth and/or is senile -- he and Bowlsby have contradicted each other so often it's comical.

I'd assume ND would join the ACC. Then they would go get UConn or something and be done with it.

Healthy ACC + revenue strong/politically tangled Big 12 probably stops most realignment. Doesn't give the Big 10 or SEC much to draw from.

So if the round robin + championship game thing happens we can guess the benefit is ...

Stability for the ACC?

Yeah, that sounds about right for Big 12 leadership.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27253 on: January 14, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
more Boren. Some veiled threats at leaving Big 12 if he doesnt get we he wants

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnehoover/john-e-hoover-david-boren-tired-of-big-s-little/article_cd7816c7-5571-5ebe-9392-3911e9337f83.html?mode=jqm

He also addressed the question of what was a better long-term scenario for OU: staying in the Big 12 or moving to another conference.

“I think if — if — we can get the Big 12 on the right track, if this comprehensive plan could be adopted, then I would rather stay in the Big 12,” he said. “I think that would be to our advantage. But it’s something that we really need to have happen. But we just need to wait and see what develops. Certainly, my first choice, if we can get the right things done in the Big 12, the right steps taken, especially these three, then I think we ought to stay in the Big 12. If it just doesn’t happen, then I try to think long-term.”

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27254 on: January 14, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
Why is 10 teams a disadvantage?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27255 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »
FYI K-State received $29.97 million in total conference distributions and Tier III Revenue in FY 2015.

K-State's Tier III contract payout was $4.045 million in FY 2015.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27256 on: January 14, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »

Its not. I think Boren looks at it from the angle of what he sees as media perception of the Big 12 and his own fanbases hatred of the conference.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27257 on: January 14, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »

Its not. I think Boren looks at it from the angle of what he sees as media perception of the Big 12 and his own fanbases hatred of the conference.

Alright. For pete's sake give let's just give OU some 2:30 kick offs so they shut up for a while.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27258 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »

Alright. For pete's sake give let's just give OU some 2:30 kick offs so they shut up for a while.

It's more than that.  He wants the league to fold the LHN.

In a nearly 25-minute telephone interview with the Tulsa World on Thursday evening, Boren sketched out a plan for the Big 12 to grow out of what he called a “little brother” status and compete again with the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences.

Boren wants the Big 12 to expand to 12 teams, he wants the league to fold Texas’ Longhorn Network and other third-tier properties into a Big 12 Network, and he wants a conference championship game. All at once, in that order, and immediately.

“I think if we try to do it piecemeal, we’re just gonna kind of end up with just a Band-Aid on top,” Boren said. “I think we need a comprehensive plan to strengthen the conference and give it equal status with the other Power 5 conferences.”

Boren wants Big 12 leadership to begin working on implementing all three immediately. League presidents and chancellors meet on Feb. 4-5.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnehoover/john-e-hoover-david-boren-tired-of-big-s-little/article_cd7816c7-5571-5ebe-9392-3911e9337f83.html

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27259 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »
I'm not sure making us look more like Conference USA would help with little brother status.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27260 on: January 15, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
FYI K-State received $29.97 million in total conference distributions and Tier III Revenue in FY 2015.

And didn't SEC/Big 10 schools receive around $31/32 million total in the same time frame?

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27261 on: January 15, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »
Didn't read the article, but does Boren suggest which 2 teams he'd like to add?
There just aren't many options outside of ND, which isn't going to happen, that will add enough value to the Big 12 imo.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27262 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

And didn't SEC/Big 10 schools receive around $31/32 million total in the same time frame?

So what you are saying is OU made as much or more than the SEC/ Big 10 schools

Sent from my Tapatalk using iPhone

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27263 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »
Didn't read the article, but does Boren suggest which 2 teams he'd like to add?
There just aren't many options outside of ND, which isn't going to happen, that will add enough value to the Big 12 imo.

“We have been, as a group, looking at expansion, discussing expansion, and we have had outside consultants helping us look at what schools are the possible best fit,” Boren said. “So there are more than two out there that could be a good fit. There may be six or seven, and we could pick from that group the right two. We have to be very careful. We don’t want to go out and get Okefenokee A&M or something just to have a name.

“We’ll look at the fan base, we’ll look at the size of their programs, we’ll look at the academics of the institutions. We’ll look at them comprehensively as to which is the best fit. And also we’ll consider geography to a certain degree.”

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27264 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
Universities spouting off with thinly veiled threats to leave are what makes us seem weak.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27265 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
Boren also says that it is extremely difficult, though not impossible, to get a GOR school in virtue of the GOR. If this is the case, why is he talking about leaving when OU is itself a GOR school?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27266 on: January 15, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
Boy, I was very frustrated, for example, that we let Louisville get away and we let other schools get away. We had opportunities at one time several years ago before all these schools gave up their rights, their legal rights and their financial rights

Asked if OU has a standing invitation to the Big Ten, Boren said there are no “official” invitations, but said there are “always, always informal conversations that we get approached (with) from time to time. … I think there are always opportunities for Oklahoma.

:dunno:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27267 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
Conference (in)stability is a self fulfilling prophecy. If any random 10 teams from the Big10 or SEC were standalone,  they would be fine because they would galvanize. The problem with this conference is that we don't tell everyone to eff off and simply be proud of what we are.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27268 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
Conference (in)stability is a self fulfilling prophecy. If any random 10 teams from the Big10 or SEC were standalone,  they would be fine because they would galvanize. The problem with this conference is that we don't tell everyone to eff off and simply be proud of what we are.
I very much agree with this.  So ridiculous for Mizzou to say "THERE'S SO MUCH INSTABILITY THAT'S WHY WE'RE LEAVING" -- hey dumbasses, who do you think is causing this instability?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27269 on: January 15, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
I very much agree with this.  So ridiculous for Mizzou to say "THERE'S SO MUCH INSTABILITY THAT'S WHY WE'RE LEAVING" -- hey dumbasses, who do you think is causing this instability?

Well obviously that is because of corruption and Ferguson/StL people running Mizzou /KK
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27270 on: January 15, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »

Don't you think it is ironic that every league that UT has been associated with has had instability problems?

UT doesn't know how to play nice, and they foolishly pursue short-term self interest to the detriment of long-term self-interest.  By-God, They Are Texas.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27271 on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »

Don't you think it is ironic that every league that UT has been associated with has had instability problems?

UT doesn't know how to play nice, and they foolishly pursue short-term self interest to the detriment of long-term self-interest.  By-God, They Are Texas.
Don't you think we're the same way, if not, you're a fool.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27272 on: January 15, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »

Yes, I may be misremembering, but w/ their Tier III payouts, I believe OU/UT/KU all received more than the SEC/Big 10 schools. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27273 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »

Yes, I may be misremembering, but w/ their Tier III payouts, I believe OU(8-10mil)/UT(15mil)/KU(6mil) +25mil; all received more than the SEC/Big 10 schools.
You are correct. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27274 on: January 15, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

I think there are a lot of schools butt hurt they aren't at the level of Texas