Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 14043 times)

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
It's Time
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Guys it's time to admit that this is all we'll ever be as long as Snyder is in charge. This needs to be his last season. And don't hire Sean to keep it status quo. If we want another Dr. Pepper we need to move on.

This offense has been puzzling for the last 5 years. We tip our hand with formations and personnel. We don't understand using the hot hand. The offense will run for 15 yards and then throw 3 straight downs with a bum shoulder QB and bad receivers. I'm afraid to say but I think Del Miller might've actually been important to pair with Dimel. Nothing we do anymore is logical. Snyder's not willing to change it (that is if these aren't his own decisions already) and therefor he needs to go.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: It's Time
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »
Who are you calling guys?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
He's talked about how he's talked to other coaches like Joe and Bobby Bowden about not knowing what to do after retiring & a fear of dying pretty quick like Bear Bryant.  I've heard part of the reason he retired the first time was to try to develop something else in his life while he was young enough that football wouldn't be everything & not put himself in a Bear Bryant position.  He then watched it happen to one his friends in Joe Paterno dying from his cancer right after being fired.

Bill's staying in that seat until the doctor gives him 2 months to live, he develops dementia, or he's in a wheelchair.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
2 conference titles in nearly 30 years (and one of those was shared) just isn't that special. It's been a wild ride, and i've loved a lot of it, but if he is going to delegate all of his duties then he should watch from the booth and hand it over to someone young and energetic. I'll forever love him for what he's done. Go cats.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
He's talked about how he's talked to other coaches like Joe and Bobby Bowden about not knowing what to do after retiring & a fear of dying pretty quick like Bear Bryant.  I've heard part of the reason he retired the first time was to try to develop something else in his life while he was young enough that football wouldn't be everything & not put himself in a Bear Bryant position.  He then watched it happen to one his friends in Joe Paterno dying from his cancer right after being fired.

Bill's staying in that seat until the doctor gives him 2 months to live, he develops dementia, or he's in a wheelchair.

i don't think the wheel chair would stop him TBH
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
So a little bit of sleep and sobriety isn't enough to calm the hell down? See these are bad takes because you didn't have these feelings yesterday, this was by no means a program defining loss. I mean, it's as standard of a college football loss as you're going to get, so I'm confused at the change of the overhead view of what this program is.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »
The reason no one had these feelings before the game is because we thought this season would be different. We thought it could be 2012 (or Hell at least 2011). Instead it's pretty clear that it's not the case. We made the same puzzling coaching moves in another game that actually matters. This is the 5th straight year the staff makes bizarre choices. You had a chance to declare that the program wasn't just average and you did the opposite. It's not just the one loss. It's the last 5 years

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »
The reason no one had these feelings before the game is because we thought this season would be different. We thought it could be 2012 (or Hell at least 2011). Instead it's pretty clear that it's not the case. We made the same puzzling coaching moves in another game that actually matters. This is the 5th straight year the staff makes bizarre choices. You had a chance to declare that the program wasn't just average and you did the opposite. It's not just the one loss. It's the last 5 years

2011 is still very much in play. We had a ton of games exactly like last night and they almost all seemed to swing in our favor which is very unusual.

I think many are thinking we lost to some Iowa State level opponent and we did not. Vandy will be at least a top 50 team by the metrics this year and possibly top 25.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
I'm not saying Vandy sucks but they are a mid-level Big 12 team on their best day. They will struggle to score all year. Luckily for them the SEC East contains zero offenses of value so they will compete in every divisional game most likely. I'm also not saying we are ISU or Texas Tech all of the sudden but we're not OU or OK St either and that's disappointing because we thought we might be.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
I'm not saying Vandy sucks but they are a mid-level Big 12 team on their best day. They will struggle to score all year. Luckily for them the SEC East contains zero offenses of value so they will compete in every divisional game most likely. I'm also not saying we are ISU or Texas Tech all of the sudden but we're not OU or OK St either and that's disappointing because we thought we might be.

True. We might still beat one of those teams though (OU or OSU).

I'm disappointed and the offense played and coached poorly last night, but this still is or can be a very good team.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
I'm not saying Vandy sucks but they are a mid-level Big 12 team on their best day.

Then so are we

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
If you trust Gene Taylor with this hire I have pity for your mortal soul

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
I'm not saying Vandy sucks but they are a mid-level Big 12 team on their best day.

Then so are we

Which is why there needs to be a change, because we should not be a mid level program. There are plenty of things that need to change after last night, but coaching happens to be one of them.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »
This thread :dubious:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »

Then so are we

Which is why there needs to be a change, because we should not be a mid level program. There are plenty of things that need to change after last night, but coaching happens to be one of them.

Neither Vandy or K-State are mid level programs, goodness gracious. K-State is a top 25 program and Vandy, under Mason, seems to be headed there.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
My take is Bill's biggest strength never really was calling the plays or even developing overlooked talent but rather in identifying and hiring top-tier up and coming coaches to staff up the program.  That has slipped dramatically in 2.0 as evidenced by the maintaining the nursing home in Vanier.

If nobody is attempting to poach your coaching staff, your staff probably sucks.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »
My take is Bill's biggest strength never really was calling the plays or even developing overlooked talent but rather in identifying and hiring top-tier up and coming coaches to staff up the program.  That has slipped dramatically in 2.0 as evidenced by the maintaining the nursing home in Vanier.

If nobody is attempting to poach your coaching staff, your staff probably sucks.

His 2.0 geriatric staff will have compiled the 3rd best conference winning percentage since his return only behind OU and OSU by the end of this year.  How do you explain that given your position that he isn't good at calling plays or developing players?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
I'd say our 3 best returning assistants are the 3 oldest in Dickey, Mo & Hayes.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »

His 2.0 geriatric staff will have compiled the 3rd best conference winning percentage since his return only behind OU and OSU by the end of this year.  How do you explain that given your position that he isn't good at calling plays or developing players?

Exactly.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »

Exactly.
Ok I wasn't clear as well as took a cheap shot and got called on it.  The nursing home comment was a bit unfair as well as misleading.  There were (and are still) certainly some good coaches and I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure those are the staff he drug back with him from 1.0 for the most part.  The recent additions haven't been lighting the town on fire however and it's the 'lack of adjustments' in staffing in addition to those ingame that are killing us.

My point was more along the line of in the 90's he was an absolute genius at unearthing and hiring incredibly good staffers.  That has not been the case in 2.0 overall.  Other than Klein, name 1 staffer that's likely to go to a head coaching job (not named Sean - and that's another part of the problem btw, the nepotism...)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
When you took the 4 seconds to make this ridiculous point, did you cut out a couple tenths of a second to consider salaries when discussing retention? I'll help you guys, our assistants are paid very very well.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 01:28:35 AM »
We should just hire Beatty to be our co-WR coach.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 05:07:12 AM »
The important thing to keep in mind is that one day we’ll all be dead and none of this will matter. Until then, jfc. I hate to be one of those “be happy with what you’ve already got” guys, but none of us is in a position to affect meaningful change. All we can do is support the team, enjoy the games, and have fun rooting for a team that isn’t complete trash. Or not. Don’t do it at all if you’re to the point that a disappointing K-State loss so disturbs your emotional well-being. Bitching is fine. It’s part of the online superfandom deal. But these histrionic posts after every pratfall and loss, are just silly. 

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »

Then so are we

Neither Vandy or K-State are mid level programs, goodness gracious. K-State is a top 25 program and Vandy, under Mason, seems to be headed there.

Sure we might be a Top 25 team but do you see us competeting for a conference title soon? I cannot see it with the consistent baffling decisions we make. And I don't really want to settle for 8-9 wins a year.

I'll happily eat crow if the rest of the season proves me wrong but we don't appear to be in the same class as either Oklahoma school. It was by far the most disappointing loss and least encouraging game I've seen us play since Snyder came back.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
And I don't really want to settle for 8-9 wins a year.

you sound like a cornhusker fan during solich years..