Author Topic: Self funded  (Read 6197 times)

Offline justanotherguy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Self funded
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Self funded
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
well written article and some great coverage of our athletic dept from greenville, tx

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
Yeah its awesome! I got this email a few weeks ago saying that the students don't have to pay an activity fee next year so that's pretty cool! Gene is the GOAT, one day their will be a building named after him.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
Why is enrollment plummeting at KSU?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
Less kids each year are going to college, KSU isn't the only school in Kansas taking a dip but by far it is losing the most. KSU gives out the best scholarships out of anyone in the state so I don't know. Most of the kids in my high school class didn't even go to JUCO so I honestly can't tell you. All i know is that a lot of people are afraid of gaining debt as they feel as if college isn't worth the time or money.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
Less kids each year are going to college, KSU isn't the only school in Kansas taking a dip but by far it is losing the most. KSU gives out the best scholarships out of anyone in the state so I don't know. Most of the kids in my high school class didn't even go to JUCO so I honestly can't tell you. All i know is that a lot of people are afraid of gaining debt as they feel as if college isn't worth the time or money.
Enrollment is up 50% at technical schools in Kansas though, maybe people feel as if less is more when it comes to investment and time spent learning.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
Up in here in sojoco Arkansas is spreading a lot of scholarship money around, I think targeting the KU families that are not getting the time of day from KU

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
Enrollment at 4 year institutions has needed an autocorrection for a long time. Glad tech schools are getting the bulk. Supply of 4-year students was/is too high. I want everyone to get a great education, but that doesn't have to come from a 4-year college.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
Tuition has gone up like every year for the past decade too.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
I know some kids who are paying 25% more in yearly tuition then I did in 2009 when I started college. A 25% increase in less than 10 years is outrageous.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
Yeah if I wouldn't have went to KState I probably would have went to BUCO and would be getting certs to start in IT with an associates and spending no money at all.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
Enrollment at 4 year institutions has needed an autocorrection for a long time. Glad tech schools are getting the bulk. Supply of 4-year students was/is too high. I want everyone to get a great education, but that doesn't have to come from a 4-year college.
That is true, a lot of people really aren't looking for or interested in a well-rounded university-style education, but rather a training/job placement program which technical schools are great at.   This leads to lots of resentment in both directions.  Maybe Kansas needs to lead the way with a large technical school that has a minor league(ish) type sports program attached to it which would meet most people in the state's needs.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
That is true, a lot of people really aren't looking for or interested in a well-rounded university-style education, but rather a training/job placement program which technical schools are great at.   This leads to lots of resentment in both directions.  Maybe Kansas needs to lead the way with a large technical school that has a minor league(ish) type sports program attached to it which would meet most people in the state's needs.

We should just continue to turn K-State Polytechnic into this role.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
The real question is how does K-State enrollment look relative to regional P5 and high mid major schools.

The answer is . . . not good.

Even MU is back on pace to all time record applications.   Cornhole, Iowa, Iowa State, OU, OSU, CU, CSU, Ark are holding at (less than 1% off all time record  highs) or at all time enrollment highs.  Even KU is back on track.   K-State down over 10% in 3 years. 

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »
You must also consider that K-State enrollment exploded between 2009 and 2015, so a decrease in enrollment could still be higher than it was pre-2009. KU had a giant decrease in enrollment in those years as well.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
You must also consider that K-State enrollment exploded between 2009 and 2015, so a decrease in enrollment could still be higher than it was pre-2009. KU had a giant decrease in enrollment in those years as well.

Relative to many other P5 schools, K-State's enrollment did not explode, it only increased at a nice pace.   The uptick ended in 2014.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Ft Riley lost a lot of people and the state of KS has incentivized Vo-Tech classes to KS high schoolers while cutting funding to universities.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
elite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Self funded, thanks Currie!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »

Relative to many other P5 schools, K-State's enrollment did not explode, it only increased at a nice pace.   The uptick ended in 2014.
Idk why k-state is dying the way it is but it’s very concerning imo.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
It’s hard to believe this:

So how is Kansas State successfully operating without any support? Three main things — Big 12 revenue, ticket sales and a passionate alumni and fan base that donates millions each year through the Ahearn Fund.

Kansas State’s annual financial report submitted to the NCAA shows those three areas combined for $71.9 million in revenue, or 83 percent of monies brought in during the 2017 fiscal year. Kansas State earned $44.1 million in 2016-17 for media rights and licensing, up more than $4 million from 2016. The Big 12’s revenue-sharing model played a key role in that number, accounting for $34.8 million.

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »

Idk why k-state is dying the way it is but it’s very concerning imo.

This isn't too complicated... state funding has declined 17% over the past 8 years while household income in Kansas has not regained pre-recession levels. https://realprosperityks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Higher-ed-report-FINAL.pdf 

Currently, university students now pay about 71% of the cost of tuition, up from around 50% pre-recession http://kmuw.org/post/students-state-universities-kansas-pay-higher-education-funding-cuts

To add to the issue, economic activity in Kansas has been well below our neighbors.  Missouri has slouched a bit recently and our coincident index is now slightly better than Missouri: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?id=MOPHCI,KSPHCI,OKPHCI,NEPHCI,COPHCI,  This has probably forced some kids to look away from a four-year degree or do so in another state.

K-State has also been hurt because while we went on a building spree KU went on an endowment building process; hence, somewhat lowering our competitive advantages. 

I used to work a lot with some of the ag economic / economic departments of regional schools and it was difficult to watch top faculty at KSU be picked off by Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan St., Purdue, etc.  I hope we get it squared away and back on track.  KSU made tons of progress and hopefully it can get the wheels moving again.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:12 PM »
It's oscar
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
do we blame The Animal or whatever Gen Myers nickname is?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »

We should just continue to turn K-State Polytechnic into this role.

Give 'em a Div II athletic department to compete with the other state universities of Kansas.  The KSUPI Mighty Honyockers
#GeauxYox