Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135927 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
catastrophe, how should the 5 actors that were used have been switched to avoid the possibility of a viewer interpreting their casting/role as racist?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #501 on: April 25, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
I think it's clear that they're saying "lighter beer (and skin!  ;) ) is better."

i'm going to abandon my planned line of interrogation to follow this up - you think it is not just plausible, not just probable, but demonstrable that a for-profit, consumer-facing company intentionally inserted a message about the preferability of certain skin colors in communication directed at their customers?

(not addressing the specifics on this ad or company)

I think many companies will insert whatever message they feel will maximize sales. If you felt that the strongest portion of your customer base would react positively to a racist/sexist/bigoted (explicit or not) message, of course you would insert it.  Historically this has been the case.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
chingon, do you think an explicit or implicit racist (anti black) message would help sell beer in 2018?  afaik, the commercial was solely used in the us, but i don't actually know that for sure.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
The advert, which aired in the USA, New Zealand and Australia, was for a Heineken Light beer which has 99 calories.

actually, not exclusively for the us.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »
chingon, do you think an explicit or implicit racist (anti black) message would help sell beer in 2018?  afaik, the commercial was solely used in the us, but i don't actually know that for sure.
Yes I do, if done cleverly enough. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »

you're saying a well-disguised implicit message, not saying a humorously presented explicit message, if i understand you correctly?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:03 PM »
catastrophe, how should the 5 actors that were used have been switched to avoid the possibility of a viewer interpreting their casting/role as racist?

Within the framework of that commercial you’re not gonna be able to avoid any possibility, but you’d see a lot less outrage if it was (starting with bartender and ending with beer recipient): 2, 5, 1, 4, 3.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »
Within the framework of that commercial you’re not gonna be able to avoid any possibility, but you’d see a lot less outrage if it was (starting with bartender and ending with beer recipient): 2, 5, 1, 4, 3.

i'm not sure about the sexist implications of having a woman so intent on serving a man that she's using binoculars to scan for any hint that he might desire something from her.  but i think we can clearly agree that any commercial that includes a black actor must feature a black actor as the principle customer to escape any racist overtones.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #508 on: April 25, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »

you're saying a well-disguised implicit message, not saying a humorously presented explicit message, if i understand you correctly?

Could be either. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
i strongly disagree with you regarding the latter, then.  can you point out a single example of a company using such a strategy?  if it were actually effective, would not someone be using it?

btw, i'm not conceding the point regarding whether an implicit anti black message might help sales - it's just much harder to argue against.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
All you have to do is get your target group to feel like they are sticking it to/ triggering the sjws by buying your product.  This has recently become an extremely successful strategy, it will be used in marketing larger commercial products as well ( I am pretty sure it's being used already by smart local companies).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
All you have to do is get your target group to feel like they are sticking it to/ triggering the sjws by buying your product.  This has recently become an extremely successful strategy,

example please.

btw, counter example - like all the companies that fled ingraham the instant hogg told them too.  i'm not sure you can find someone the target group wants to stick it to more than hogg and these were already companies that had decided it was ok to be associated with ingraham and yet even those self-selected companies declined to stick it to him in droves.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
I'm sure no one had an example campaign that worked so well before the 2016 election where Trump's strategy was successful, yet here we are.

Counter examples will of course exist, not every company will use this strategy (or effectively).  I don't quite think the Hogg example really matches though. 

PC, anti-PC, anti-anti-PC, anti-anti-anti-PC, are all tribes to exploit for gain.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 25, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
Without the skin colors of the people the bottle is (1) sliding past and (2) sliding to, the phrase “sometimes lighter is better” makes no sense within the context of the commercial.

They could’ve done the same thing with the bottle sliding past a bunch of fat people and ending with a skinny girl and it would’ve been the same thing.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 25, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »
I'm sure no one had an example campaign that worked so well before the 2016 election where Trump's strategy was successful, yet here we are.

politics and commerce are different.  in politics, any support over 50% is superfluous - there is no penalty to alienating 40% of the population.  in commerce, any potential customer you alienate is a cost.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
Without the skin colors of the people the bottle is (1) sliding past and (2) sliding to, the phrase “sometimes lighter is better” makes no sense within the context of the commercial.

They could’ve done the same thing with the bottle sliding past a bunch of fat people and ending with a skinny girl and it would’ve been the same thing.

of course it makes sense without skin color.  good grief, have you never seen a light beer commercial before?  and using fat/skinny people would be off-putting for at least some of the people they think might be a lower calorie beer.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
you still haven't answered my question, dlew.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #517 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »

politics and commerce are different.  in politics, any support over 50% is superfluous - there is no penalty to alienating 40% of the population.  in commerce, any potential customer you alienate is a cost.

I don't think that's true.  Determing which audience you can  alienate is an essential factor in successful marketing.  This is something the antiPC crowd constantly talks about.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 25, 2018, 07:58:25 PM »
I don't think that's true.  Determing which audience you can  alienate is an essential factor in successful marketing.  This is something the antiPC crowd constantly talks about.

i don't think either of those assertations is factual.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 26, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
what's the question?  whether the ad is "racist"?  i already said i think the message of the commercial is "lighter beer (and skin) is better."  i think it's a racist message. 

i'm far from a PC warrior, but I'm not sure how the "wink wink nudge nudge" joke of the commercial could have been more overt and remained "wink wink nudge nudge."

that said, it's possible (but pretty unlikely) that the everyone involved didn't intend and all overlooked the racial subtext of the ad -- if none of them recognized or intended the racial aspect, then i don't think it's racist.  but if that's the case, i think they're all lousy at their job.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:18:30 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 26, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
The meltdown over Kanye is some the best 1st world probleming/storming out of the room, slamming the door and throwing oneself on the bed stuff I've seen in a while.

I hope MAGADASHKANYE continues this onslaught (to promote his upcoming multiple album releases)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 26, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
5 "Albums" 7 Tracks each BTW.  MAGADASHKANYE laid down all the beats.

Respond below if you'll buy and then deny.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #524 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:13 AM »
The Atlantic does a fabulous job of saying something in 3000 words that could just as easily have been said in 300.

I don't know how you read that crap.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd