Author Topic: Hope worms hack off.your.encrypted Apple.  (Read 13758 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Hope worms hack off.your.encrypted Apple.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »
This is just absurd. Don't let fear drive you to be unreasonable. Whoever even first discussed the possibility of this bill is a rough ridin' idiot.

The writers of this bill have no rough ridin' idea how any of this works. They probably couldn't operate a jitter bug with instructions. This is the type of thing that opens us up to being the least secure industrial country in the world.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/technology/burr-feinstein-bill-encryption/index.html

Let's leave them to the stuff they know like climate change and energy
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2016, 07:52:53 PM »
Is anyone surprised known Nazi Diane Feinstein is a sponsor of this bill?

The Big Train

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
Welp they didn't find crap, but let's pass a law so next time we can unlock the phone faster to find nothing. What a rough ridin' waste of money, but now the government has the real prize in sight!  A skeleton key that hackers will find and use to access everybody's crap. :flush: :flush: :flush:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/turns-nothing-substantial-san-bernardino-143331633.html

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »
Welp they didn't find crap, but let's pass a law so next time we can unlock the phone faster to find nothing. What a rough ridin' waste of money, but now the government has the real prize in sight!  A skeleton key that hackers will find and use to access everybody's crap. :flush: :flush: :flush:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/turns-nothing-substantial-san-bernardino-143331633.html

Federal legislation iso beyond absurd. We already have a judicial system equipped to handle this issue. What an absurd overreach

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
 Every decent hacker already had access to your phone.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »
Every decent hacker already had access to your phone.

Mcafee says anyone could do it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »
Aiming to have an absolutely impenetrable lock screen is like aiming to have a front door on your house that can withstand any attack by conventional weapons. Neither necessary nor sufficient for security.

The Big Train

« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Just the last 6 digits of your SSN chum1, it's still kind of secure

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2016, 07:14:46 PM »
I never lock my screen. I don't have a lock on my wallet either. I live life on the edge, baby!

The Big Train

« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
When big hacker comes in and steals your whole life I hope you feel the same way

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
Screw big hacker I think I might just help myself to chums identity
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
Looks like 1.4% of US smart phone users had a lost or stolen phone last year.

:ohno:

The Big Train

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2016, 07:44:01 PM »
Yet, you wouldn't object to the government having access to 100% of them.  The lack of knowledge of how any of this works is just astonishing.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »
Yet, you wouldn't object to the government having access to 100% of them.  The lack of knowledge of how any of this works is just astonishing.

Maybe you should educate me. Here's what I've said:

But I don't think the bill would be any more silly than the idea that devices need to be absolutely impenetrably secure in the first place. "Really rough ridin' hard to break into" is a sufficient standard.

The Big Train

« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »

But I don't think the bill would be any more silly than the idea that devices need to be absolutely impenetrably secure in the first place. "Really rough ridin' hard to break into" is a sufficient standard.

The security field is ever evolving in the IT world.  It takes an army of people to keep up with hackers and people that want to steal our data.

Retailers like Target and Home Depot probably thought 'good enough' was fine for their customers security.

https://securityintelligence.com/the-top-5-retail-breaches/

The fact remains that good enough, is not secure.  Retailers use websites, that are built for e-commerce, to interact with consumers.  That is one portal for hackers to target.  Now think about using the very device consumers use to access those sites.  Not only do you open up the people that shop, but also every single person that uses that device.

Apple recently said they now have over a billion active devices around the world. 
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10835748/apple-devices-active-1-billion-iphone-ipad-ios
So, instead of the 300+ million people that could potentially visit Targets site, which maybe 10% do a year, you have 10x that. 

Some of those people have nothing to do with those retailers, but because they simply have the device that runs the same software as the other billion, they are at risk.  Creating a back door for the government may seem like a way to protect us, but it opens us up even more to attack.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »

The security field is ever evolving in the IT world.  It takes an army of people to keep up with hackers and people that want to steal our data.

Retailers like Target and Home Depot probably thought 'good enough' was fine for their customers security.

https://securityintelligence.com/the-top-5-retail-breaches/

The fact remains that good enough, is not secure.  Retailers use websites, that are built for e-commerce, to interact with consumers.  That is one portal for hackers to target.  Now think about using the very device consumers use to access those sites.  Not only do you open up the people that shop, but also every single person that uses that device.

Apple recently said they now have over a billion active devices around the world. 
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10835748/apple-devices-active-1-billion-iphone-ipad-ios
So, instead of the 300+ million people that could potentially visit Targets site, which maybe 10% do a year, you have 10x that. 

Some of those people have nothing to do with those retailers, but because they simply have the device that runs the same software as the other billion, they are at risk.  Creating a back door for the government may seem like a way to protect us, but it opens us up even more to attack.

Does this have anything to do with lock screens? Because I was talking about lock screens. I also didn't say anything about what I think the government should or shouldn't do.

The Big Train

« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2016, 08:16:50 PM »
Take away the fingerprint scanner and reduce the lock code to 2 digits. So yes, it does, dumbass.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
Take away the fingerprint scanner and reduce the lock code to 2 digits. So yes, it does, dumbass.

I'm not getting the connection that you're insinuating exists between lock screen security and the hyperlink to that article on millions of stolen account numbers.

The Big Train

« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »

I'm not getting the connection that you're insinuating exists between lock screen security and the hyperlink to that article on millions of stolen account numbers.

I'm not surprised by that honestly.  There is a pretty big disconnect between you and anything technology related, and that's ok.  You just go about your life, and the smart people will worry about protecting it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »

I'm not surprised by that honestly.  There is a pretty big disconnect between you and anything technology related, and that's ok.  You just go about your life, and the smart people will worry about protecting it.

OMG

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
Big hacker doesn't care about lock screens or fingerprint scanners.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
i'm starting to think tbt is the one that has no idea how any of this works and it's not that astonishing really
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2016, 08:52:29 PM »
I mean I'm no Saul or Chings, but I did take more than one computer class at KSU :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
I mean I'm no Saul or Chings, but I did take more than one computer class at KSU :dunno:

Is that where you learned about the connection between lock screens and large scale data breaches? I must not have had that "computer class."