Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 317523 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2375 on: April 19, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »
Yea, that sounds like pre-existing conditions to me. The only way you can realistically allow people with pre-existing conditions to participate is if you have a legitimate individual mandate forcing everyone to pay in from the beginning. Obamacare is really weak on the latter, making it pretty awful all around.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 19, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
It's amazing how insurance companies overlooked all of these totally obvious problems. Conclusion: insurance companies are really dumb about making money.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 20, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
Yea, that sounds like pre-existing conditions to me. The only way you can realistically allow people with pre-existing conditions to participate is if you have a legitimate individual mandate forcing everyone to pay in from the beginning. Obamacare is really weak on the latter, making it pretty awful all around.

Yeah the law was doomed by not having a massive penalty that would have pushed people into the market.

But you guys are kinda right about prexisiting conditions. Previously they would target high risk things.  Forinstance, when I was buying private insurance because my job didn't offer anything my left knee was excluded because of a surgery I had in HS.  They also excluded my right knee just because.  The other issue is lifetime caps, but that is only tangentially related. The problem from the old system is that insurance companies regularly invented prior conditions and killed your coverage.  This is actually one of the best things about the ACA because people would always find a way to get their surgery or treatment.  They would either get on medicaid, default, on the charges, or work out a payment plan.  Most of the time though the payment for the already socialized costs would be pushed onto people with insurance.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 20, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
I sure hope insurance companies learned their lesson about needing to account for pre-existing conditions!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 20, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
Single Payer please. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 20, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
Single Payer please.

Absolutely agree! Pay for your own damn health care. You pay for your own car repair, house repair, property upkeep, food, etc. Why is paying for your own health care any different?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 20, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »
Exactly,  just let the government be the insurance company and let's be done with it.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 20, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
Exactly,  just let the government be the insurance company and let's be done with it.

Wrong. Making government pay for your health care is making me pay for your health care. You pay for you. I will pay for me.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »
Poor people should die in the streets
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »

Wrong. Making government pay for your health care is making me pay for your health care. You pay for you. I will pay for me.

You already pay for my health care and I pay for your health care in the form of insurance companies.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2385 on: April 20, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »
Why exactly should young healthy people be forced to insure old and unhealthy people who decided they didn't want to pay for health insurance until they got sick? That seems like an absolutely terrible policy.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 20, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
Exactly, let's get rid of this insurance nonsense
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 20, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Exactly, let's get rid of this insurance nonsense

Same question, dumbfuck

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: April 20, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
straight cash homie ought to cleanse our gene pool to an acceptable level

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 20, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
I can't believe that people don't think basic healthcare should be a right as an American citizen.  We are the most powerful country to ever exist on the face of the world and we can't take care of people who get the flu. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 20, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
Heard an interview with an Aussie guy a month or so ago.  He said they have a combo system where the basics are covered by the govt, but there is a private market for anything you may wish in addition to the basics.  He said he pays something like $600 a year and its great.  When asked about access, he said that if you have some non emergency stuff, you may wait a couple weeks to a month.  He said if you have an accident and need a surgery, you get it that day. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 20, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
I can't believe that people don't think basic healthcare should be a right as an American citizen.  We are the most powerful country to ever exist on the face of the world and we can't take care of people who get the flu.

Interesting fantasy you've contrived there.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I can't believe that people don't think basic healthcare should be a right as an American citizen.

From where would such a "right" emanate?

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 20, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
You already pay for my health care and I pay for your health care in the form of insurance companies.

Wrong again. If I pay premiums for health insurance, I am paying a private corporation to insure my health care costs in accordance with the terms of the private contract between me and the insurance company.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 20, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
I can't believe that people don't think basic healthcare should be a right as an American citizen.

From where would such a "right" emanate?

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 20, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
Heard an interview with an Aussie guy a month or so ago.  He said they have a combo system where the basics are covered by the govt, but there is a private market for anything you may wish in addition to the basics.  He said he pays something like $600 a year and its great.  When asked about access, he said that if you have some non emergency stuff, you may wait a couple weeks to a month.  He said if you have an accident and need a surgery, you get it that day.

I like the general sound of that. One of the biggest issues with Americans is that we tend to think if we didn't come up with the idea it is probably not that good. Our healthcare system is actually pretty far behind many other developed countries.

People also need to realize that everyone with insurance in this country is already subsidizing basic healthcare costs of the poor and uninsured. Hospitals typically just write off those expenses and pass them on to patients that actually pay.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 20, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »

I like the general sound of that. One of the biggest issues with Americans is that we tend to think if we didn't come up with the idea it is probably not that good. Our healthcare system is actually pretty far behind many other developed countries.

People also need to realize that everyone with insurance in this country is already subsidizing basic healthcare costs of the poor and uninsured. Hospitals typically just write off those expenses and pass them on to patients that actually pay.

What are considered "basics"? Is preventative care a "basic"?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 20, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
I'm not sure, but I would be pretty surprised if poor/uninsured people go to get preventative care in our system. Also don't know about the Aussie system but I would assume that's included in basic. There is a reason insurers want you to get preventative care.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
I'm not sure, but I would be pretty surprised if poor/uninsured people go to get preventative care in our system. Also don't know about the Aussie system but I would assume that's included in basic. There is a reason insurers want you to get preventative care.

No, but if they did have coverage to get preventative care it would save a bunch of money later, so in this "Basics Only" system it should be covered.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 20, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »

Wrong again. If I pay premiums for health insurance, I am paying a private corporation to insure my health care costs in accordance with the terms of the private contract between me and the insurance company.

do you pay more than me in premiums since I'm younger and never get sick?