Author Topic: Bowl Projections  (Read 336623 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl Projections
« Reply #1450 on: December 03, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Jerry Palm also has us Texas vs. A&M.    Yawn....though we should be able to beat them.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 03, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
eff Bama. Can't even win their own division.

Not even that, they scheduled Mercer in November.....  :blank:

Honestly, this should not be a talking point. The SEC has moved one of their pud OOC games to late October/early November for years.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 03, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
I DO NOT WANT THE LIBERTY BOWL VS MEMPHIS....eff THAT
Dax fan club member!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1453 on: December 03, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »

Honestly, this should not be a talking point. The SEC has moved one of their pud OOC games to late October/early November for years.
Agreed. They had FSU and Fresno early ooc.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »

It should be a talking point as they only have 8 conference games.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: December 03, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
I don't think that anyone can say Florida State, Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer is a weak OOC.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 03, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
I don't think that anyone can say Florida State, Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer is a weak OOC.
They had a pretty weak conference schedule, outside of Auburn. Didn't at half their conference opponents have their coaches fired at the end of the season? Plus vandy.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:46 PM »
They had a pretty weak conference schedule, outside of Auburn. Didn't at half their conference opponents have their coaches fired at the end of the season? Plus vandy.
The use of teams like Mercer in Nov is laughable.  It's a scheduled second bye week.  Lets give them some credit for FSU, Fresno, and an okay CSU.  Does that mean we shouldn't also check them for having teams like Vandy, Ole Miss, A&M, and Tenn on their schedule?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 03, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
I'm not arguing a) that they should be in or b) that they played a top rated schedule. The way their schedule unfolded didn't help them out with FSU being bad as well as several of their SEC opponents having down seasons.

However, I will say that the late season pud OOC game that is a regular event in the SEC shouldn't be even in the top 10 of talking points of why Alabama shouldn't be in.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 03, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I'm not arguing a) that they should be in or b) that they played a top rated schedule. The way their schedule unfolded didn't help them out with FSU being bad as well as several of their SEC opponents having down seasons.

However, I will say that the late season pud OOC game that is a regular event in the SEC shouldn't be even in the top 10 of talking points of why Alabama shouldn't be in.
I've said for a long time that these November OOC games are connected to early conference games that artificially inflate the rankings of SEC teams.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 03, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »

I've said for a long time that these November OOC games are connected to early conference games that artificially inflate the rankings of SEC teams.

Duh. But that’s nothing to complain about. We (and everyone else) should be copying it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »

McMurphy just put us in a a bowl in Birmingham. Yikes.

Update 10:15 a.m. ET Sunday: I still believe Ohio State gets in as No. 4 seed and Washington is in a New Year's 6 bowl. If so, bowl projections below should be close. If not, well, I'll be redoing them all afternoon. One small tweak: moving Texas Tech to Heart of Dallas and putting Kansas State in Birmingham.

LOL, he's too busy being butthurt about Steve Levy making a simple mistake to make his Facebook scoops credible.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 03, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Wiscy losing was really just the worst case scenario. This season was probably the season where the SEC was the least deserving and yet they comprise half the playoff with the possibility of an all SEC championship game

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

Duh. But that’s nothing to complain about. We (and everyone else) should be copying it.
Agreed

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 03, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »

I'm not trying to pigeonhole you into supporting Bama's candidacy.  I think the late season OOC game, especially against the pud-est of puds is an issue that should be used to malign the SEC et al (as noted below about SOS manipulation). 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
Wiscy losing was really just the worst case scenario. This season was probably the season where the SEC was the least deserving and yet they comprise half the playoff with the possibility of an all SEC championship game

It's the best thing that could happen if you want a better playoff system than a bunch of tards selecting teams.  The big 10 and pac 12 getting left out is the only thing that will put pressure on the system  The only fair way to do this is to make the p5 conference winners automatic bids...then 3 others.  That way EVERY P5 conference team has a chance each year...just win the conference....no excuses.  Just like bball.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1466 on: December 03, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

It's the best thing that could happen if you want a better playoff system than a bunch of tards selecting teams.  The big 10 and pac 12 getting left out is the only thing that will put pressure on the system  The only fair way to do this is to make the p5 conference winners automatic bids...then 3 others.  That way EVERY P5 conference team has a chance each year...just win the conference....no excuses.  Just like bball.
I like this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 03, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

It matters because, like houstoncat, said they, and the ACC, only play 8 conference games. The Big 12, Pac 12, and the Big 10, the conferences that have been left out of the CFP, have their best teams playing 10 damn conference games. Ohio State won 2 more conference games than Alabama did, but Mercer and Fresno State phew tough.

It's also worth noting that Alabama doesn't play non-con road game. They have only played two since 2003 and none since 2011, one of those road games was at Duke, and not new decent Duke either. They have no pending road non conference games in the future either.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 03, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »

Yeah, but its more difficult with only 3 OOC opponents. Plus, these are more difficult because you have to work with all of these G5, FCS or whatever teams/leagues to fit their schedules. Another P5 league doing this would make that more difficult. I don't disagree that it is a good idea though.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 03, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »

I like this.

Everyone knows an 8 team playoff is the only fair way to do it. Five P5 champs, one group of 5 highest ranked, and two at large. The only people arguing against this just make some lame slippery slope argument.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: December 03, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
Wake Forest vs aTm in the Belk Bowl...dodged that bullet.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: December 03, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »
Liberty bowl is Iowa State vs Memphis

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: December 03, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
Texas Tech to Birmingham Bowl

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
Dreiling reporting Cats accepted Cactus bowl bid

The Big Train

« Reply #1474 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
Hmm, I may go to that