Author Topic: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan  (Read 10482 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
Typing CMU can be a bit problematic if you aren't careful

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
So if Gundy didn't know that even an intentional grounding would end the game (and it's seeming clear he didn't), and he still ran a play that he couldn't be 100% sure his team wouldn't execute in the one hilariously bad way that wouldn't end the game in that questionable (to him) rule situation, then the whole debacle is on him.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
Is this the first instance of Pereira being correct?

Maybe you can enlighten me but I'm not aware of him ever getting a rules interpretation wrong.

He's probably correct about rule interpretations, but he's a dang moron when it comes to video reviews. I suppose you could argue that the refs are just always wrong, but that doesn't seem likely to me.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Is this the first instance of Pereira being correct?

Pereira's right most times, imo.  It's all the other networks' kroger-brand people they've rolled out since Pereira became a thing that are wrong ever-y time.  CBS's guy is the main offender, I think.
CBS fired him because he became a running joke to people but even Mike Carey wasn't wrong about rules interpretations, they were using him to guess what replay officials would confirm or overturn

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

what injustice occurs if OSU is given the win?  what argument could CMU possibly make if they were determined the losers?

At this point, I think Vegas would have a pretty big problem with it.

Nope, CMU still covers

Is that the only bet available?

Well I don't know what the o/u was but I'm guessing that the 57 they ended up with is still under. I doubt they were taking props and second half bets for CMU OSU.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
it's not crazy to expect the officials to know whether or not the game is over.  you shouldn't have to wonder - in game - whether these professional referees actually know the rules.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
and frankly, it doesn't matter what gundy knew.  completely irrelevant.  the bottom line is that when the game actually ended, by the rules, Oklahoma State was winning.  and yet they lost.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Typing CMU can be a bit problematic if you aren't careful

If only you knew how often I have caught mistyped versions of cmu in professional emails... Luckily I always check that throughly before sending
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/mac-official-who-called-oklahoma-state-game-admits-error-cowboys-could-challenge/

Apparently CMU would have to agree to overturn the call, if they challenge it. Wow!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
and frankly, it doesn't matter what gundy knew.  completely irrelevant.  the bottom line is that when the game actually ended, by the rules, Oklahoma State was winning.  and yet they lost.

If Gundy knew the rule, he should've physically show the refs the rule and raise hell and not leave the field before the untimed down until the refs heard him out and ended the game.  Get your objection on the record

If Gundy didn't know the rule, he shouldn't have called that play and put his team in a spot where they could eff themselves.

Either way, it's on Gundy.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
there's probably been an instance or two of general confusion for one of the aggieville Chinese food purveyors

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »
Wait a minute, knowing the rule or not shouldn't have dictated whether or not he asked Rudolph to throw the ball away, Rudolph didn't properly execute the play, he needed to take two more steps.

He is absolutely wrong for not even asking the officials if they are sure they are applying the rule correctly. If he asked they could have and should have call up to the booth, they do have a rule book. No one, before Saturday, had seen a game extend because of an offensive penalty, Gundy and the OSU coaches should have slowed that sit down and got some clarification.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/mac-official-who-called-oklahoma-state-game-admits-error-cowboys-could-challenge/
X
Apparently CMU would have to agree to overturn the call, if they challenge it. Wow!

If it was K-State in CMU's position, they would've already agreed to overturn it, offered an apology to OSU fans, and sent a $5,000 donation to OSU for the players having to have an undeserving sad post game meal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/kylefredrickson/status/774712712416796673

Two absurdities here:
1. College football thinking that the only way to reverse a game result is for the beneficiary to say no thanks is laughable.
2. LOL at CMU even taking 3 seconds to think about this. That win could be a potential windfall for that school outdid they need it for bowl eligibility, that loss essentially means nothing to OSU. They win out they're in the playoff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
Wait a minute, knowing the rule or not shouldn't have dictated whether or not he asked Rudolph to throw the ball away, Rudolph didn't properly execute the play, he needed to take two more steps.

If he didn't know the rule, meaning he thought that an intentional grounding wouldn't end the game or he wasn't sure about it, he shouldn't have called that play b/c clearly he shouldn't have had confidence that his team could execute it correctly.  He should've had a receiver going down to the corner of the endzone and had his guy throw it 15 feet past that guy, or ran any of the other dozens of plays they could've ran out the clock w/o putting themselves in jeopardy under his uninformed understanding of the rule.

He is absolutely wrong for not even asking the officials if they are sure they are applying the rule correctly. If he asked they could have and should have call up to the booth, they do have a rule book. No one, before Saturday, had seen a game extend because of an offensive penalty, Gundy and the OSU coaches should have slowed that sit down and got some clarification.

Yep, and his failure to do so precludes him from crying about it now imo.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »
the loss means nothing to OSU? 

hey, OSU just lost at home to CMU.  CMU may not be chopped liver, but 6 wins isn't a given for the pokes.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
A buddy of mine is on the coaching staff at CMU, he seemed pretty jazzed about the whole situation. 

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
CMU should agree to overturn the game if OSU agrees to schedule them again and pay CMU $5 million to cover program expenses.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »
the loss means nothing to OSU? 

hey, OSU just lost at home to CMU.  CMU may not be chopped liver, but 6 wins isn't a given for the pokes.

I would laugh my ass off if OSU only finishes with five wins, we know their APR isn't getting them into a bowl.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »

If he didn't know the rule, meaning he thought that an intentional grounding wouldn't end the game or he wasn't sure about it, he shouldn't have called that play b/c clearly he shouldn't have had confidence that his team could execute it correctly.  He should've had a receiver going down to the corner of the endzone and had his guy throw it 15 feet past that guy, or ran any of the other dozens of plays they could've ran out the clock w/o putting themselves in jeopardy under his uninformed understanding of the rule.

Yep, and his failure to do so precludes him from crying about it now imo.
why on earth does it preclude him from crying about it now?  his subjective knowledge of the rule doesn't affect whether or not the rule exists.  he can say "yeah, I didn't know the rule. but now I do, and the rule says the game is over and we win."  when officials wrongly extend the game, they should be corrected.  period.  and gundy downplaying the finish makes him look embarrassed and weak to me.  if I were one of his players, i'd be pretty steamed, i'd think.

in hindsight, yes, that play call is super risky from Gundy's perspective if he is under the impression that an intentional grounding penalty extends the game.  but guess what, it doesn't!  so objectively, and assuming the rules of football are properly applied (which is a fair assumption I might add), it was the right call. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »

I absolutely agree with this. The officials messed up and as a direct result of that OSU lost the game.

I will say I think the rule is dumb in this instance. I think an offensive penalty that results in a change of possession should be treated like a defensive penalty in this situation with an untimed down. But that is another discussion.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »

I absolutely agree with this. The officials messed up and as a direct result of that OSU lost the game.

I will say I think the rule is dumb in this instance. I think an offensive penalty that results in a change of possession should be treated like a defensive penalty in this situation with an untimed down. But that is another discussion.

Yep

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
Saying this loss means nothing to OSU is ridiculous.  Now they have to win out for a shot at the playoff whereas before they could've lost a future game.  You can asterisk it all you want but 10-2 OSU with losses to CMU and OU is not getting in where a 11-1 OSU with a loss to OU would.  Although unlikely, a 11-1 OSU with a loss to CMU could miss out.  They could just as easily be jumped in the bowl pecking order as CMU and the loss could be the difference between the playoff or a new year's six game.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
why on earth does it preclude him from crying about it now? 

Because he'd have played, and lost, under the rules as he knew them and/or he didn't preserve his (or even make an) objection for appeal.  There's consequences for poor performance.