Author Topic: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan  (Read 10574 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »
Why aren't people LOSING THEIR MINDS over the finish of that game?  Why didn't Gundy go on a half hour rant in the post game press conference? 

I have no clue what I would do if that happened to k-state, but I imagine I would be writing letters to the Big 12 Conference offices and the NCAA offices for starters.  Probably the MAC offices too.

I would also DEMAND that K-State claim the victory.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
Probably cuz no one knows what you're talking about

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »
Probably cuz no one knows what you're talking about
Exactly!  This should be front page of NYT stuff, but Gundy and Co. are like, "sure, CMU got an extra play even though the game was over but ho hum whatever let's just move on."  I hope this screws OSU out of bowl eligibility just to teach them a lesson that sometimes you need to raise hell.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »
Gundy doesn't want to get fined and he has a mullet.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:33 AM »
I would probably make a post on gE about how it was bullshit but not really care past that
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »
I would go on a hunger strike and maybe light myself on fire

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
Taco bell will suffer the most

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Maybe they should've just not played shitty D at the end

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
If I was Mike Gundy, I probably wouldn't want to call more attention to the time I lost to Central Michigan at home.  In the past, the NCAA has been pretty clear that they aren't going to overturn the results of a game so that is all he would be doing. 

I am generally against overturning the results of a game but with the last play of the game being completely erroneous, this is a game that could justify it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
Maybe they should've just not played shitty D at the end
Maybe the refs shouldn't have let CMU run a play AFTER THE GAME HAD ENDED.

Am I bonkers here?! 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »
I had a Twitter meltdown and was a little embarrassed by it. OSU should do something, its pathetic that the Big 12 is just rolling over and taking this. People keep comparing this to the Miami Duke finish last year and it isn't close to the same thing. The Miami Duke game wasn't extended by a play, that was just a couple of missed calls. The 1972 Russia USA basketball game is a much better example. A two game suspension for the two crews involved is pathetic. There is no reason that the CMU win shouldn't be vacated and both referee crews fired, there is no way that OU wouldn't be given this win if it happened to them.

Another thing that is bothering me is that people are calling Mike Gundy dumb for calling that throw away play. It wasn't dumb, it was absolutely the best call. How was it Gundy's fault that Rudolph didn't get out of the pocket. I've seen that play called a thousand times, we did it last year against WVU, the lions did it yesterday. You can call them stupid for not talking to the refs about extending the play, I was sitting in my living room wondering if that was right and Mike Pererra said before the play happened that they misapplied the rule.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
Yea, I think most people are over it because OSU tried really hard to lose that game and succeeded.

FWIW - I said this at the end of that ridiculous Miami game last year, but if you can objectively determine that a game ending call was incorrect, it would make sense for there to be a mechanism where the result could be changed within 24 hours.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »
You can call them stupid for not talking to the refs about extending the play, I was sitting in my living room wondering if that was right and Mike Pererra said before the play happened that they misapplied the rule.

This is another thing that keeps OSU from complaining too much. You have at least a dozen coaches on the sideline and none of them know that rule? Maybe they just figured there was an exception in that circumstance? I do think there is an element of unfairness in being able to commit a penalty on the last play that works in your favor.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
Gundy should've done all of d-rew's things on the field after the refs said there'd be an untimed down and before the untimed down happened, if he even knew the rule.  If he didn't even know and only knows now b/c of the tv ref guy or mir and his rulebook phone app, it's too late for him to bitch.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »
I had a Twitter meltdown and was a little embarrassed by it. OSU should do something, its pathetic that the Big 12 is just rolling over and taking this. People keep comparing this to the Miami Duke finish last year and it isn't close to the same thing. The Miami Duke game wasn't extended by a play, that was just a couple of missed calls. The 1972 Russia USA basketball game is a much better example. A two game suspension for the two crews involved is pathetic. There is no reason that the CMU win shouldn't be vacated and both referee crews fired, there is no way that OU wouldn't be given this win if it happened to them.

Another thing that is bothering me is that people are calling Mike Gundy dumb for.calling that throw away play. It wasn't dumb, it was absolutely the best call. How was it Gundy's fault that Rudolph didn't get out of the pocket. I've seen that play called a thousand times, we did it last year against WVU, the lions did it yesterday. You can call them stupid for not talking to the refs about extending the play, I was sitting in my living room wondering if that was right and Mike Pererra said before the play happened that they misapplied the rule.
agree 100%.  even if Rudolph didn't get out of the pocket, STILL NOT DUMB.  because who cares if it's intentional grounding?  game over either way. 

the only dumb thing OSU has done is not make a huge stink after the refs decided to give CMU a play.  although, generally speaking, it's not too ridiculous to expect the officials to know and properly apply the rules of the game.  i'm generally pretty lenient on officials because, hey, they make mistakes, they miss things sometimes -- the game moves quickly and a missed hold here or there isn't 100% outcome determinative. but this one was. in this instance, the call was not a judgment call issue.  it was 100% just applying the procedural rules of the game to determine whether or not the game had ended. 

what injustice occurs if OSU is given the win?  what argument could CMU possibly make if they were determined the losers?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
This may have been a better play call to end the game:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
Is this the first instance of Pereira being correct?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
Anyone blaming the Gundy play call is stupid.  Clearly the game should have been over regardless of Rudolph being in or out of the pocket.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
Another thing that bothers me is how people are minimizing how good CMU is. OSU shouldn't have lost to be sure but people are acting like CMU is as shitty as Eastern Michigan. They've been to bowl games the last two years, they almost beat OSU last year, and they currently have more players in the NFL than most of the Big 12. BTW for most of this board who missed this game because they were watching the first quarter of Ohio KU, :lol: CMU plays KU in '17th and '18th but they will not have their current QB who is the best they've ever had.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:24 AM »

what injustice occurs if OSU is given the win?  what argument could CMU possibly make if they were determined the losers?

At this point, I think Vegas would have a pretty big problem with it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »

Maybe you can enlighten me but I'm not aware of him ever getting a rules interpretation wrong.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »

Nope, CMU still covers

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
  If he didn't even know and only knows now b/c of the tv ref guy or mir and his rulebook phone app, it's too late for him to bitch.

Pretty sure a reporter said when asked at the end of the game Gundy just said "I need to look at the rule." So safe to say he did not make a big stink about it in real time.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »

Nope, CMU still covers

Is that the only bet available?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

Pereira's right most times, imo.  It's all the other networks' kroger-brand people they've rolled out since Pereira became a thing that are wrong ever-y time.  CBS's guy is the main offender, I think.