Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106328 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/921917082786254848

Good for Alex. I would imagine there are several players that feel the same way.
He is the best football player on the team. It is really unbelievable.

:billdance:

No he isn't

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
Kirby got burned covering a back on a passsing play, but then they said Riley put a WR in the back field for it. That was damn genius.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 22, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/921917082786254848

Good for Alex. I would imagine there are several players that feel the same way.
He is the best football player on the team. It is really unbelievable.

:billdance:
This is not true. Not even the best RB.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
If he is frustrated I hope he leaves.
well this is a dumb statement to make

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 22, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?
why would you want one of our only good players to leave? I'm glad he is frustrated and he should be. matter of fact a lot more players should be frustrated

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 22, 2017, 08:08:53 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?
why would you want one of our only good players to leave? I'm glad he is frustrated and he should be. matter of fact a lot more players should be frustrated

Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 22, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?
It's his life. I hope he does what makes him happiest.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
If he is frustrated with how he is being utilized at KSU by this staff, I hope he is able to go somewhere that utilizes him in a way he feels he should be.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?
something tells me its running a football well, kinda hard to do that when you get held back by coaches (hence the terrible coaches thread)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 22, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?
something tells me its running a football well, kinda hard to do that when you get held back by coaches (hence the terrible coaches thread)
So you want him to stay and be frustrated and vocal to force a coaching change?

Lol. Yeah I'm not going to ask that Delton stay for my benefit.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
He should absolutely voice his frustration to his position coach. And his coach should have a good explanation.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 22, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
I agree. mcat.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #363 on: October 22, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Playing tanking and Kirby every down

Tanking has actually been good. Kirby can kick rocks, although I haven't seen anything from #3 that makes me think he's better.

Kirby got completely destroyed on that final run by OU. I thought he had an easy tackle for a loss of 3-4 yards.

Yes. Kirby got 2 hands on #24 but then got stiff armed like a little boy.  He also had a laughable missed tackle on a 4th down play in the 1st half.

He actually made a couple decent plays y'day, but his poor plays this season have far outweighed the good.

Both LBs struggle big time in pass coverage or on pass downs. Tanking does come out on 3rd & long. However we should have Sullivan and E.Walker playing the LB spots when we bring in our 4 DE rush unit.

Also, Newlan was a big issue y'day too. We missed Adams a ton

Kirby also managed to get a personal foul penalty in process of missing thst tackle that negated any chance of a kick return.

Also, all LBs struggle in pass coverage
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?

if he doesn't get carries the rest of the year, like 15-20 carries after voicing his frustration not only to the media but also the coaches then yes he should go (rb can be a hard transfer once you get miles on the legs but he doesn't have that issue now does he lol snarf snarf) after he makes it clear why. the coaches would be stuck with their dicks in their hands knowing stubbornness cost them the 1 of a handful of players that is legit on this roster.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 22, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
Haha. Wow. Bye, Barnes.
How so?

if he doesn't get carries the rest of the year, like 15-20 carries after voicing his frustration not only to the media but also the coaches then yes he should go (rb can be a hard transfer once you get miles on the legs but he doesn't have that issue now does he lol snarf snarf) after he makes it clear why. the coaches would be stuck with their dicks in their hands knowing stubbornness cost them the 1 of a handful of players that is legit on this roster.
I think we agree on this issue, kslim. I was poor at articulation. :cheers:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »
Saw this posted on FB by a loyal qat fan after our meltdown in the 2nd half yesterday. Thought it was pretty well-reasoned and well-researched. Might not be any new info here, but I wanted to get it in this thread.

FINAL: OU 42, K-State 35 - The second half constitued coaching malpractice, top to bottom.

K-State had 257 yards rushing at halftime.

They finished with 268.

Fire Dimel.

LHC Bill Snyder on not playing Barnes for a period: "It was just the nature of what we were doing. Part of it was the quarterback run game."

ALEX DELTON RAN FOR 28 YARDS ON 14 CARRIES IN THE SECOND HALF
THAT'S WHY THEY DIDN'T GIVE THE BALL TO BARNES. FOR THE QB RUN GAME
/*seizure
WAIT MY MISTAKE
DELTON TECHNICALLY RAN FOR EIGHT YARDS ON FOURTEEN CARRIES IN THE SECOND HALF..

Alex Delton had 27 carries.

The rest of the team combined had 15.

This insanity has to end.

Alex Barnes averaged almost 7 yards per carry AFTER YOU SUBTRACT HIS 75-YARD TD RUN...But let's focus on the QB run game.
Alex Barnes 6 carries, 108 yards. Without the 75-yard TD, he still averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Only 6 carries defies logical explanation.

Word has it Alex Barnes wasn’t the happiest of campers at times last year. Looks like things have only gone further south in his mind. Not good for KSU. I don’t blame half the talent on the team for transferring. Asked if Alex Barnes will voice frustration about his limited usage with K-State coaches, Alex Barnes unequivocally responds: "Yes."

Look, we take it easy on the players mostly. We don't call them out until a problem is GLARING (Pringle's drops, Kirby's pass defense). That's because they don't get paid...but the coaches do. Their job is to win football games. We pay them to win. Not to choke.

Last legendary coach to go out on his own terms was Schembechler. They stay too long because people think they should go when they're ready...

Final Thought: I’m Disappointed as hell. But proud of the fight in this team. That was a different team that I saw play the first half of the game..Proud of the cats, but that 3rd quarter was Hot Garbage. Coaching staff needs to go. I’m done with the moral victories.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2017, 04:22:30 AM »
Saw this posted on FB by a loyal qat fan after our meltdown in the 2nd half yesterday. Thought it was pretty well-reasoned and well-researched. Might not be any new info here, but I wanted to get it in this thread.

FINAL: OU 42, K-State 35 - The second half constitued coaching malpractice, top to bottom.

K-State had 257 yards rushing at halftime.

They finished with 268.

Fire Dimel.

LHC Bill Snyder on not playing Barnes for a period: "It was just the nature of what we were doing. Part of it was the quarterback run game."

ALEX DELTON RAN FOR 28 YARDS ON 14 CARRIES IN THE SECOND HALF
THAT'S WHY THEY DIDN'T GIVE THE BALL TO BARNES. FOR THE QB RUN GAME
/*seizure
WAIT MY MISTAKE
DELTON TECHNICALLY RAN FOR EIGHT YARDS ON FOURTEEN CARRIES IN THE SECOND HALF..

Alex Delton had 27 carries.

The rest of the team combined had 15.

This insanity has to end.

Alex Barnes averaged almost 7 yards per carry AFTER YOU SUBTRACT HIS 75-YARD TD RUN...But let's focus on the QB run game.
Alex Barnes 6 carries, 108 yards. Without the 75-yard TD, he still averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Only 6 carries defies logical explanation.

Word has it Alex Barnes wasn’t the happiest of campers at times last year. Looks like things have only gone further south in his mind. Not good for KSU. I don’t blame half the talent on the team for transferring. Asked if Alex Barnes will voice frustration about his limited usage with K-State coaches, Alex Barnes unequivocally responds: "Yes."

Look, we take it easy on the players mostly. We don't call them out until a problem is GLARING (Pringle's drops, Kirby's pass defense). That's because they don't get paid...but the coaches do. Their job is to win football games. We pay them to win. Not to choke.

Last legendary coach to go out on his own terms was Schembechler. They stay too long because people think they should go when they're ready...

Final Thought: I’m Disappointed as hell. But proud of the fight in this team. That was a different team that I saw play the first half of the game..Proud of the cats, but that 3rd quarter was Hot Garbage. Coaching staff needs to go. I’m done with the moral victories.

wow, super lit post. almost like i wrote it. and this guy is totally correct. barnes 1st carry of the game is for 75 yards. td. gets 5 more. is awesome on all them. but, nope. let's run delton 25 rough ridin' times.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »
I couldn't watch the game.  I'm not smart enough on high lvl football defensive concepts anyway, so it probably wouldn't matter.

So, was there some type of defensive scheme that OU was doing that led our offense to continue to check in to the QB run?  If so, an example of the OU defensive coordinators recognizing they wanted Delton to run it and not Barnes and deliberately bating us into the checks we made.  That seems like the type of scheming we used to do...
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
This has most likely been mentioned but needs to be rehashed.

We are up 21-7, with possession, four minutes or so remaining before half. We run for a first down. With the success we were having running the ball and our coach's strategy of owning the TOP, especially against a superior opponent, you would imagine that we would keep pounding the ball and run the clock.

Nope. Dipshit Dimel dials up a twenty yard out route on first down. Ball is intercepted. Completely inexcusable.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
This has most likely been mentioned but needs to be re-hashed.

We are up 21-7, with possession, four minutes or so remaining before half. We run for a first down. With the success we were having running the ball and our coach's strategy of owning the TOP, especially against a superior opponent, you would imagine that we would keep pounding the ball and run the clock.

Nope. Dipshit Dimel dials up a twenty yard out route on first down. Ball is intercepted. Inexcusable.

I understand this, but I knew if we got a first down we would take a shot and I thought that we should. We got man coverage with no safety help, so a throw made sense, but there was an overestimation of Delton's ability to make the throw or make the right decision. The pass floated (Delton did get late pressure) and the Zuber wasn't able to make a play on the ball. It honestly was just a really bad throw. IIRC, the wind had already shifted to out of the north, so Delton had the wind at his back. If it works everyone thinks Dimel is a genius.

To be fair, I think the pass should have been off of play action and a route that allowed for an easier (and safer) read and throw, but I had zero problem with a 1st down pass there.

https://youtu.be/sqMxEd3meoM?t=5224

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »
Yea. Honestly you’re never going to see me calling for an offensive coordinator’s Head after a 35+ point performance.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
This has most likely been mentioned but needs to be re-hashed.

Nope. Dipshit Dimel dials up a twenty yard out route on first down. Ball is intercepted. Inexcusable.

I understand this, but I knew if we got a first down we would take a shot and I thought that we should. We got man coverage with no safety help, so a throw made sense, but there was an overestimation of Delton's ability to make the throw or make the right decision. The pass floated (Delton did get late pressure) and the Zuber wasn't able to make a play on the ball. It honestly was just a really bad throw. IIRC, the wind had already shifted to out of the north, so Delton had the wind at his back. If it works everyone thinks Dimel is a genius.

To be fair, I think the pass should have been off of play action and a route that allowed for an easier (and safer) read and throw, but I had zero problem with a 1st down pass there.

https://youtu.be/sqMxEd3meoM?t=5224

Understandable. I just would have preferred a deeper route, without such great timing and accuracy involved. We are all aware of the struggles in our passing game with Delton under center.

Granted, Dimel has lived under a microscopic lens through my eyes since 2015. I find it easy to criticize.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:25:35 PM by Pett »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
I like being aggressive and putting trust in your QB to make the correct read/throw. 1st, the OU CB did not bite on the double move at all, but 2nd that ball was under thrown by at least 5 yards. If the throw is 10 yards deeper you let Zuber go make a play on the ball and at worst its an incomplete pass. My initial thought was why didn't the receiver do something, but the CB reacted quicker than Zuber and he had no shot with how badly the ball was thrown.

Granted, I think part of the throw being short was the delayed blitz by the ILB. However, I put most of that blame on the right guard (#62, Mitchell). He is uncovered, but comes over the help the center on the NG which is fine, but oline in that situation are taught to keep their eyes up and shoulders down the field so they can pick up a late stunt. Mitchell completely turns his shoulder to help and then he is unable to pick up the blitz through his gap. He didn't even need to help there because Dimel was already on that side to provide extra protection. Dimel ends up helping on the same guy that Mitchell helped on for a completely unnecessary triple team. That's a massive execution error in basic pass protection from the offensive line, especially when they had to know that route called for extra time for a longer developing route, we had 7 guys to protect against a 5 man OU front plus the 6th late blitzer, you should NEVER get beat in that situation like we did there.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
I like being aggressive and putting trust in your QB to make the correct read/throw. 1st, the OU CB did not bite on the double move at all, but 2nd that ball was under thrown by at least 5 yards. If the throw is 10 yards deeper you let Zuber go make a play on the ball and at worst its an incomplete pass. My initial thought was why didn't the receiver do something, but the CB reacted quicker than Zuber and he had no shot with how badly the ball was thrown.

Granted, I think part of the throw being short was the delayed blitz by the ILB. However, I put most of that blame on the right guard (#62, Mitchell). He is uncovered, but comes over the help the center on the NG which is fine, but oline in that situation are taught to keep their eyes up and shoulders down the field so they can pick up a late stunt. Mitchell completely turns his shoulder to help and then he is unable to pick up the blitz through his gap. He didn't even need to help there because Dimel was already on that side to provide extra protection. Dimel ends up helping on the same guy that Mitchell helped on for a completely unnecessary triple team. That's a massive execution error in basic pass protection from the offensive line, especially when they had to know that route called for extra time for a longer developing route, we had 7 guys to protect against a 5 man OU front plus the 6th late blitzer, you should NEVER get beat in that situation like we did there.

Always appreciate your analysis, _fan