Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979950 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25551 on: October 21, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »
Dumbass Big 12 doesn't grab Pitt, Louisville when/ if they had the chance. Stupid.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25552 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
Dumbass Big 12 doesn't grab Pitt, Louisville when/ if they had the chance. Stupid.

Every time I see a Pitt game on TV their stadium is about 2/3 empty.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25553 on: October 21, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
I'm glad we didn't touch Pitt.   :Yuck:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #25554 on: October 21, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
I get sad when I think of all Cat games I could have watched in Louisville.  :shakesfist:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25555 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »

They tried with Pitt first.  Didn't work.  Then they moved on to WVU.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25556 on: October 21, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »

They tried with Pitt first.  Didn't work.  Then they moved on to WVU.

:nono:

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25557 on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Yep, the Big 12 actually had some intense discussions with Pitt while they were looking around, but they chose the ACC for at least a couple of reasons.  One, geographic proximity. And two, because when they were talking to us, they got a glimpse of just how incredibly dysfunctional we were at the time.

What might have been. If we had pulled in Pitt and Louisville, that would have put a huge crimp in the ACC's ability to replenish their ranks and expand to match the size of the Big 10 and SEC. That could have been enough to keep schools like FSU and Clemson from signing a GOR a year later and given the Big 12 the chance to pick the ACC apart.

How does a conference like this sound to you? At the time NU and CU had left, but MU and A&M were still here. Neither TCU nor WVU had been contacted yet.

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor

Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.

Florida St.
Miami
Clemson
Georgia Tech

Louisville
Pitt
Iowa St.
Missouri

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25558 on: October 21, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
sounds craptastic

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25559 on: October 21, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »
Yuck
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #25560 on: October 21, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
Dreamy. All have fielded quality teams over the years in multiple sports. Too bad we're stuck in a ten team conference.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:56:13 PM by IPA4Me »

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25561 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
After A&M announced in early August 2011 it was leaving there were very strong discussions for Pitt, Louisville, and WVU to join to go back to 12.  That was until Sept 2 when OU president David Boren out of nowhere made his "OU will not be a wallflower" comment that scared off Pitt.  The ACC picked up Syracuse and Pitt on Sept 17th.  In early October the Big12 grabbed TCU instead as Mizzou started to strongly flirt with the SEC and eventually left in November.  The Big12 didn't grab WVU until February 2012.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25563 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
A ten team league is amazing and I love it and I don't want to change.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25564 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Yep, the Big 12 actually had some intense discussions with Pitt while they were looking around, but they chose the ACC for at least a couple of reasons.  One, geographic proximity. And two, because when they were talking to us, they got a glimpse of just how incredibly dysfunctional we were at the time.

What might have been. If we had pulled in Pitt and Louisville, that would have put a huge crimp in the ACC's ability to replenish their ranks and expand to match the size of the Big 10 and SEC. That could have been enough to keep schools like FSU and Clemson from signing a GOR a year later and given the Big 12 the chance to pick the ACC apart.

How does a conference like this sound to you? At the time NU and CU had left, but MU and A&M were still here. Neither TCU nor WVU had been contacted yet.

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor

Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.

Florida St.
Miami
Clemson
Georgia Tech

Louisville
Pitt
Iowa St.
Missouri

That would be horrible.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25565 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
It's what all the other conferences wish they had #onetruechampion

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25566 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »

It's funny how our league says "one true champion", but we are the only league that crowns more than one champion. Every other league will crown a single champion. Our league could crown one team, or have a two-way, three-way, etc, tie. Suppose KSU, TCU and BU all finish 7-2... K-State beats TCU , TCU beats BU, BU beats KSU. Who is the "one true champion"?

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25567 on: October 23, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »

It's funny how our league says "one true champion", but we are the only league that crowns more than one champion. Every other league will crown a single champion. Our league could crown one team, or have a two-way, three-way, etc, tie. Suppose KSU, TCU and BU all finish 7-2... K-State beats TCU , TCU beats BU, BU beats KSU. Who is the "one true champion"?
All of them is the right answer.It's not a well thought out slogan

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #25568 on: October 23, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »

I'm sure there's some formula instead of playing a football game to decide.

The Big Train

« Reply #25569 on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
cats would be champs in this scenario

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25570 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
One True Champions From the Conference of 12 Big Ones.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25571 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
Interesting, short, interview with Bowlsby:

http://newsok.com/big-12-qa-with-big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby/article/5361578

With a four-team football playoff and five power conferences, do you see conference consolidation coming? Power conferences maybe?

There are several of us that are numerically challenged. I don’t know that anybody could’ve anticipated that the Big 12 would have 10 and the Big Ten would have 14. ... In our case, I don’t know that there are a lot of obvious candidates out there. We’re distributing about $25 million per school through our distributable revenue, so anybody that would be considered for expansion in our league would have to bring at least pro-rata value. ... But the opportunity to move from one high-visibility conference to another is pretty slim right now. I don’t see much movement in the near- to mid-term. As we get near the end of some of these TV contracts, which would be 10 or 12 years down the road, there may be some renewed conversations. The only movement that is possible right now is from some of the secondary-level conferences that might move people into one of the five high profiles.

The super-conferences concept ... has largely been a media fabrication. I have heard no serious conversation among people who do this for a living that the super-conference concept has got any traction. It’s always dangerous when the media starts to interview the rest of the media, and I think that’s where the super-conference thing came from.

How is the Longhorn Network doing, and how does that impact your long-term plans for TV?

The Longhorn Network is a boulder in the road. It really is. They did something that almost no other institution in the country could do because of the population in the state, and we’re looking at some way to try and morph that around a little bit. ... It really begs the question about, how are we going to get our sports in the years ahead? If technology changes in the next five years as much as it’s changed in the last five years, we’re not going to be getting our sports by cable TV. I don’t know what it’ll be. But increasingly, we’re using mobile devices ... Google Network and Apple TV and things like that are coming into play. ... I’m not sure the world needs another exclusive college cable network. Rather than trying to do what everybody else has done, I would much rather try to figure out what tomorrow’s technology is and get on the front side of that and be a part of what happens going forward and monetize that.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25572 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
Interesting, short, interview with Bowlsby:

How is the Longhorn Network doing, and how does that impact your long-term plans for TV?

The Longhorn Network is a boulder in the road. It really is. They did something that almost no other institution in the country could do because of the population in the state, and we’re looking at some way to try and morph that around a little bit. ... It really begs the question about, how are we going to get our sports in the years ahead? If technology changes in the next five years as much as it’s changed in the last five years, we’re not going to be getting our sports by cable TV. I don’t know what it’ll be. But increasingly, we’re using mobile devices ... Google Network and Apple TV and things like that are coming into play. ... I’m not sure the world needs another exclusive college cable network. Rather than trying to do what everybody else has done, I would much rather try to figure out what tomorrow’s technology is and get on the front side of that and be a part of what happens going forward and monetize that.
That one guy from ESPN, that gave that one speech, really showed how out of touch that network is when it comes to the future of media consumption. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25573 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
I've felt for some time that if we have a Big 12 Network, it's going to start as a subscription, web-streaming service.  Either that or we work with Fox to take our T3 rights and use them to push a lot of that content, plus other web streaming, onto a more evolved version of Fox Sports Go.

Whatever it is we do, a traditional cable network isn't going to work (nor would it ever have worked) because our geographic footprint just doesn't have enough people, and it still would have ranked last with the 12 original members.

Anyway, it's good that Bowlsby is acknowledging that the future isn't a cable network.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25574 on: October 30, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
Instead of working with ESPN or FOX like the SEC and big 10 did the Big 12 should be exploring this with Apple or Google. 10 years ago no one had DVRs, now just about everyone I know has one. I don't own an Apple TV, but if there was a Big 12 Network only available on something like that I'd get one.