Author Topic: 51  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:47:05 PM »
i think this is still only maybe 10-15% likely to happen, but that's 10-15% more than ever before in my lifetime.  i'd like to see the flag redesigns.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1276586948740542464

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 51
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 02:48:35 PM »
Welp, it looks like all the White Flight burbs around DC are gonna pick up some more residents.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »
where is the political will for this to happen coming from? 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
i'd like to see the flag redesigns.

Kashchei2:14p
A roundabout way of getting rid of the American flag? All flags would need 51 stars. Take all the flags down under the guise of replacing them, but never do. Or create a new "non racist" flag entirely.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »
where is the political will for this to happen coming from?

dems want two more senators.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »
tom cotton's speech was terrible but a little funny

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1276240570697089024

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
There's half of a good idea in shrinking the Federal district; but just give the rest back to Maryland then. We really do not need a state the geographic size of Topeka.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
We don't need states with a quarter the population of the kc metro either
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
Might as redraw all state lines and make the Senate representation proportional to population

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »
This seems like another Puerto Rico situation IMO. I don't see it happening.

FWIW, I do think either this needs to happen or it be absorbed back into Maryland. That and getting Puerto Rico to be a state, and other US territories into the Union more properly has been a can kicked down the road for far too long. It's dumb to have "US Citizens" not be able to actually be legally represented in congress. That is literally the issue that caused our own war for Independence. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »

FWIW, I do think either this needs to happen or it be absorbed back into Maryland. That and getting Puerto Rico to be a state, and other US territories into the Union more properly has been a can kicked down the road for far too long. It's dumb to have "US Citizens" not be able to actually be legally represented in congress. That is literally the issue that caused our own war for Independence.

Knowing some folks down in PR, they're typically polarized on the statehood question.  I think their best long term prospects are as a state: their economy is just too closely tied to the US.  Their governance is just fubar though; it mostly resembles an old school early 20th century urban political machine. Patronage, protection, and graft.  Everyone has a sort of societal Stockholm Syndrome point of view due to the abuses of government.

There is enough ethnic/social pride to make the statehood question pretty divisive for them internally though versus independence.  What they really need to succeed is infrastructure and business investment. In the current world economic climate, I don't see anyone stepping up to the plate.  Maybe China, but there's not really anything there for their efforts except a thumb in the eye of the US.

Tragic really, its natural beauty and culture is awesome; given some stability, it would could be a real gem.  Its worth an extended visit; the interior mountains, the coasts, Old San Juan - all fabulous.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:29:24 PM by Woogy »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 05:52:24 PM »
Given that we've already embraced a gaudy flag, that's a pretty good design.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Might as redraw all state lines and make the Senate representation proportional to population

Why? I guess I see this as an issue that the 23rd amendment tried but failed to fully address.
Because the concept of states and the Senate as it was designed is really stupid

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 06:02:39 PM »
They'll make it look like this:

🥱

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »

🥱

Yeah, that's how they'll do it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »

they wouldn't dare.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »

Knowing some folks down in PR, they're typically polarized on the statehood question.  I think their best long term prospects are as a state: their economy is just too closely tied to the US.  Their governance is just fubar though; it mostly resembles an old school early 20th century urban political machine. Patronage, protection, and graft.  Everyone has a sort of societal Stockholm Syndrome point of view due to the abuses of government.

There is enough ethnic/social pride to make the statehood question pretty divisive for them internally though versus independence.  What they really need to succeed is infrastructure and business investment. In the current world economic climate, I don't see anyone stepping up to the plate.  Maybe China, but there's not really anything there for their efforts except a thumb in the eye of the US.

Tragic really, its natural beauty and culture is awesome; given some stability, it would could be a real gem.  Its worth an extended visit; the interior mountains, the coasts, Old San Juan - all fabulous.

If it's independence they want, that's fine too. Personally I don't overly care what happens to our territories in whether they become states or independent, but it's gotta suck to be part of a country without having full participation or some sort of way to address your issues. It's a weird limbo that I would hate to live under. My only "issue" with independence is while we could do a commonwealth realm a la UK (which for these territories is kinda already is they just don't have self determination) or some sort of mini-EU version that binds us all economically in a sort of single market but different countries, is I could see the current "states" seeing that as an option they would want to take and a preferred one at that based on who runs the country. Maybe an unfound fear, but I could see it be brought up.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »
ok, let's do it.

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/1276595765012566024
This is very aesthetically pleasing to me with a 5 point starfish in single stars with a 3-2-1 triangle of stars between each of the starfish arms.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »
Someone do the stars in an octagon configuration plz go cats
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »

Why? I guess I see this as an issue that the 23rd amendment tried but failed to fully address.
Because the concept of states and the Senate as it was designed is really stupid
cRusty, draw us your new map for America. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Put the new star right in the rough ridin' middle like an idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk