Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332326 times)

The Big Train

Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1450 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Bitcoin is back to selling for over $1000 per BTC after it dropped below $800 about 3 weeks ago

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 02, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
the ones that went up 20% on 11-9-2016.

This must be the best strategy. Private prisons did well.

Geo (GEO)
Corrections Corporation of America (CXW)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 09, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
I still haven't bought anything. I'm a procrastinator.

A portfolio of so-called Trump trades has given back nearly a third of its gains since the election. And if President Donald Trump doesn't begin implementing his proposed corporate tax cuts and financial industry deregulation, some trades dependent on his proposals could suffer further.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/09/big-cracks-are-developing-in-the-trump-portfolio.html

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 09, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
there is a zero percent chance the "tea party" tucks their tails and lets him run up the monstrous debt that the corporate tax cuts he promised would result in. the market should do well if he can get his regulation slashes moving though, which he has a better shot of actually getting done.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 09, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
Investing tip 101: All people that say they can predict the market are liars. Some just happen to be liars that are lucky.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: February 10, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
Which stocks are REALLY going to benefit from loosening of regulations? Post thoughts below and let's get filthy rich together!

In my personal account I am 80% invested in UEC (uranium), TECK (zinc play), CLF (iron mining), and DNR (oil).

I feel like this is a good time to point this out TRUMP TRADES FTW   :kstategrad:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 12, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
Good point about White House train wreck. Trump can't do anything right.

"What's going on today is complete insanity," said Stockman. "The market is apparently pricing in a huge Trump stimulus. But if you just look at the real world out there, the only thing that's going to happen is a fiscal bloodbath and a White House train wreck like never before in U.S. history."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/12/trump-administration-is-complete-insanity--and-the-markets-are-in-a-fantasy-land-stockman.html

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 13, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Just received notice my Betterment account fee is going from .15% to .25% :curse:

Anyone use comparable services with a lower account fee? Maybe I should just start buying Vanguard ETFs directly? Does Vanguard automatically roll over dividends and stuff like that?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
Just received notice my Betterment account fee is going from .15% to .25% :curse:

Anyone use comparable services with a lower account fee? Maybe I should just start buying Vanguard ETFs directly? Does Vanguard automatically roll over dividends and stuff like that?

There is a setting where you reinvest all dividends.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 13, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Last I heard, and this was before the account fee hike, Betterment is better for low sums and really high sums of money.  Vanguard has better rates somewhere in the middle. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 13, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
To my knowledge, you are paying Vanguard's rates (or similar rates) when you have Betterment anyway since the portfolio consists largely of Vanguard funds. The value you get from Betterment is mostly in ease of use (including diversification and automatic portfolio balancing), tax loss harvesting, and various helpful tools for advice.

The biggest downside I see to splitting and buying some funds direct from Vanguard is the risk of getting an out of balance portfolio, but I'm not sure how much damage I can really do if I basically just try to mimic what I have in my Betterment account and start buying like half/half to cut down on unnecessary fees.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 13, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
you can hold a vanguard fund in any discount brokerage account and almost none of them have account fees.  betterment is raping you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 13, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
betterment manages my 401k. :frown:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 13, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 13, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
you can hold a vanguard fund in any discount brokerage account and almost none of them have account fees.  betterment is raping you.

I have found the automated portfolio (with rebalancing) to be pretty helpful, and I love the projection tools you can play around with.  So far the account has been paying for itself through the tax loss harvesting, although that is mostly because I got into investing at a crappy time (took the market like a year to actually get back to the same point).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 13, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
ok.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 13, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

Your mercilessness is unbelievably consistent. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 13, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
i like to think i'm helping.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 15, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
This market has no quit

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 15, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Got some cash to burn. And by burn I mean invest responsibly for my future. Any funds I should be looking at? I don't do company stocks.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: February 15, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
i thought the whole point of giving betterment 0.25% of your money was so you didn't have to make that decision.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 15, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
Damnit sys, you know the entire reason I brought that up is because I'm going to start buying more funds directly through Vanguard.

Offline blu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 24, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »
Is vanguard pretty much the way to go as far as setting up roths? My fiancé and I recently have come across a pretty large sum of money and I'm looking to invest it but I have never actually invested in anything other than my company's 401k plan. After a Roth is set up and maxed is my line of thought to just pour everything else into an index fund dumb? I'm looking for something safe and that I can withdraw from a couple years down the road without penalties

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1473 on: February 24, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
If you're talking about a Roth IRA, Vanguard is as good an option as any, but any retirement account is going to have some penalty if you withdraw from it early.

And otherwise I think you generally have the right idea, but it's probably better to diversify among several ETFs even though they tend to be pretty diverse already.

Also, your horizon of when you plan to withdraw should probably determine which ETFs to invest in. Should not be too difficult to do some online research.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:50:10 AM by catastrophe »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »
Is vanguard pretty much the way to go as far as setting up roths? My fiancé and I recently have come across a pretty large sum of money
Sorry for your loss
:adios: