Author Topic: KU's new basketball dormitory facility  (Read 51063 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
KU's new basketball dormitory facility
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »
So, I hadn't heard a anything about this until this morning, but Bob Fescoe was on the radio talking up a new $16M basketball dormitory and facility that KU had planned.

This has me pretty concerned.  If this thing is as good as Fescoe claims, then KU may start beating us on recruiting.  You think we win the battle over Spradling if that thing were done 4 years ago?  I really doubt it.  Sure Dominique Sutton chose us over KU WITHOUT our new facility, I get that, but not all kids think the same way.

Our new basketball facility is one of the best in the country, but we cannot sit still.  We may have better facilities than KU RIGHT NOW, but that's not going to last forever.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: KU's new basketball dormitory facility
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »
Did you misunderstand him and think he meant football?  Because, WGAF about basketball?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »
Did you misunderstand him and think he meant football?  Because, WGAF about basketball?

I know, I know, but I still really like the idea that we have vastly better facilities than KU, but I fear it's not going to last and we might start losing recruits to them.  Heck, I like beating them in Crew as well...the sport doesn't really matter, I guess. :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
I'm thinking new Jardine is better than anything they can build.

Maybe just take one of the sweet new buildings there and call it the #bruceketball dormitory and call it even? :dunno:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »

Maybe just take one of the sweet new buildings there and call it the #bruceketball dormitory and call it even? :dunno:

I'm pretty sure a few players already live there.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »

I'm pretty sure a few players already live there.

Yes, but just make it official. A "Hey basketball recruits considering KU and K-State, we have one too." kind of thing.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
Hopefully if they lock the recruits up in this new advanced dormatory, it will keep them from bashing their gf's heads into sinks at house parties.  :dunno: :crossfingers:

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
This is the next logical move for K-State:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1723178-oklahomas-new-75-million-headington-hall-will-lure-football-recruits

:love:

We would become unbeatable and the rest of college football would throw us out.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
This is the next logical move for K-State:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1723178-oklahomas-new-75-million-headington-hall-will-lure-football-recruits

:love:
agreed, someone email currie a link and lets get this done before ku finishes its gridiron club

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
So anyway, I can kind of see Pete's concern but in reality this is way too dirty.  NCAA won't allow it and even if they would, KU is too classy to do it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:04:08 AM by Limestone »

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Its really not that far off of what K-State did with Jardine, we probably just need to promote it for athletes more. As the article said, you can't have athletes-only dorms anymore. Jardine is nearly as close to the stadium as OU's place is as well, from what I understand we "sell" Jardine as a great place for football/basketball players anyway.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/dec/20/plans-filed-five-story-apartment-retail-building-a/

A new five-story apartment and retail building — complete with a robotic-powered parking garage — may be coming to a site across the street from Kansas University's Memorial Stadium.

Plans have been filed at Lawrence City Hall for a major mixed-used development on the existing site of the Berkeley Flats apartment complex at 1101 Indiana St.

"We think it is a very strategic site in the city that is being underutilized currently," said Jim Heffernan, a principal with Chicago-based student housing developer HERE LLC.

The site is directly east of the stadium and is along the Mississippi Street gateway to campus.

Details of the proposed development include:

• 156 apartments —totaling about 600 bedrooms — would be located on three of the building's five floors. Each apartment would include an 18-foot-high great room, designed to give the units the feel of an urban loft.

• Retail and restaurant uses would be located along both the Mississippi Street and Indiana Street levels of the building. In total, the plans call for about 11,000 square feet of retail shops or restaurants.

• The development would have a 592-space parking garage spread out over three levels, including an underground level. The garage would use an "automated, robotic parking garage system" to park and retrieve cars.

The system involves the motorist pulling into a large elevator-like box and exiting the vehicle. The garage then uses an elevator system to place the vehicle on the appropriate floor, and a lift-and-track system that moves the vehicle to the right space.

Cars are retrieved through a sort of electronic valet system. Heffernan estimated it takes about three to five minutes to retrieve a vehicle.

Heffernan says the parking systems are relatively common in Europe and Asia and are becoming more common in the U.S., especially when developing projects in space-constrained areas. Because it doesn't need entrance and exit ramps, Heffernan estimates the garage will use about 40 percent less space than a traditional one.

"We think the system produces a lot of benefits," said Heffernan, noting reduced CO2 emissions and better security for the vehicles.

Heffernan said his company is using the system for a 26-story multi-use development it has under construction near the campus of the University of Illinois. Heffernan said the company's Lawrence plans are part of a strategy for the company to create a national brand of student-living developments.

"We really like the Lawrence market," Heffernan said. "We think it is a progressive community, anchored by a great university."

The project is seeking to rezone the 2.3-acre Berkeley Flats site from its traditional RM-32 apartment zoning to a relatively new mixed-used zoning.

Heffernan said he hopes the project will win the necessary City Hall approvals by mid-2014 and that construction could begin later in the year. He hopes to have the development open by the 2016 school year.

:Wha:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/dec/20/plans-filed-five-story-apartment-retail-building-a/

A new five-story apartment and retail building — complete with a robotic-powered parking garage — may be coming to a site across the street from Kansas University's Memorial Stadium.

Plans have been filed at Lawrence City Hall for a major mixed-used development on the existing site of the Berkeley Flats apartment complex at 1101 Indiana St.

"We think it is a very strategic site in the city that is being underutilized currently," said Jim Heffernan, a principal with Chicago-based student housing developer HERE LLC.

The site is directly east of the stadium and is along the Mississippi Street gateway to campus.

• 156 apartments —totaling about 600 bedrooms — would be located on three of the building's five floors. Each apartment would include an 18-foot-high great room, designed to give the units the feel of an urban loft.

• Retail and restaurant uses would be located along both the Mississippi Street and Indiana Street levels of the building. In total, the plans call for about 11,000 square feet of retail shops or restaurants.

• The development would have a 592-space parking garage spread out over three levels, including an underground level. The garage would use an "automated, robotic parking garage system" to park and retrieve cars.

The system involves the motorist pulling into a large elevator-like box and exiting the vehicle. The garage then uses an elevator system to place the vehicle on the appropriate floor, and a lift-and-track system that moves the vehicle to the right space.

Cars are retrieved through a sort of electronic valet system. Heffernan estimated it takes about three to five minutes to retrieve a vehicle.

Heffernan says the parking systems are relatively common in Europe and Asia and are becoming more common in the U.S., especially when developing projects in space-constrained areas. Because it doesn't need entrance and exit ramps, Heffernan estimates the garage will use about 40 percent less space than a traditional one.

"We think the system produces a lot of benefits," said Heffernan, noting reduced CO2 emissions and better security for the vehicles.

Heffernan said his company is using the system for a 26-story multi-use development it has under construction near the campus of the University of Illinois. Heffernan said the company's Lawrence plans are part of a strategy for the company to create a national brand of student-living developments.

"We really like the Lawrence market," Heffernan said. "We think it is a progressive community, anchored by a great university."

The project is seeking to rezone the 2.3-acre Berkeley Flats site from its traditional RM-32 apartment zoning to a relatively new mixed-used zoning.

Heffernan said he hopes the project will win the necessary City Hall approvals by mid-2014 and that construction could begin later in the year. He hopes to have the development open by the 2016 school year.

Havsy has a lot of fun insight on this project.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
The buzz is that the building will incorporate a lot of surveillance and tracking tools (hardware and software) that ku's basketball chumps will never be aware of.  The AD wants to stem the tide of alcholism, drug abuse, and domestic violence against women, and the recruits who land in this new dorm won't even realize they're being monitored damn near 24/7.  The overlords in Lawrentucky are going to start managing the uncontrollable crime that is the ku basketball program. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »

Cool.  Brilliant cover for what amounts to a well-upholstered prison.  :fatty:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
18 foot ceilings and robots.  Seems pretty pie-in-the-sky but will be cool if they do it as they're talking.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
The buzz is that the building will incorporate a lot of surveillance and tracking tools (hardware and software) that ku's basketball chumps will never be aware of.  The AD wants to stem the tide of alcholism, drug abuse, and domestic violence against women, and the recruits who land in this new dorm won't even realize they're being monitored damn near 24/7.  The overlords in Lawrentucky are going to start managing the uncontrollable crime that is the ku basketball program.

Maybe make it a reality show/fundraiser type thing where you can pay $9.95 a month to watch them play video games in the lounge area's.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
Honestly if a student athlete is looking for fancy facilities and dorms with robots, I'm not sure I want them to be representing the KSU. I'd rather have student athletes who work hard and are of high character and moral fiber.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
i'm for anything that will start to slowly pick away at the blocks and blocks of student ghetto housing that currently surrounds their fball stadium.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
i'm for anything that will start to slowly pick away at the blocks and blocks of student ghetto housing that currently surrounds their fball stadium.

Dat blight  :frown:

Wonder how many drug related murder bodies will be revealed during construction.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

Dat blight  :frown:

Wonder how many drug related murder bodies will be revealed during construction.

I suspect this robot valet building thingy is really just a drug murder body silo.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/feb/13/lawmaker-tells-ku-strong-opposition-proposed-apart/

A state legislator told Kansas University Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little on Wednesday that there is strong opposition in the Legislature to the proposed $17.5 million Allen Fieldhouse apartments for KU basketball players.

“There is going to be push-back on that,” state Rep. Amanda Grosserode, R-Lenexa, said during a meeting of the House Education budget committee.

“I have massive heartburn about it,” said Grosserode, who is vice chair of the panel.

Gray-Little said the apartments are needed as a recruiting tool and to monitor and protect student-athletes from professional sports agents.

She said currently “people approach basketball players all of the time.”

KU is seeking authority from the state to issue bonds for the building, which would be paid off by the university. Of the 66 apartments in the building, 32 would be for student-athletes and 34 for students who are not athletes.

The project would also include a commons area, kitchen, parking lot and half-court basketball court.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/feb/13/lawmaker-tells-ku-strong-opposition-proposed-apart/

A state legislator told Kansas University Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little on Wednesday that there is strong opposition in the Legislature to the proposed $17.5 million Allen Fieldhouse apartments for KU basketball players.

“There is going to be push-back on that,” state Rep. Amanda Grosserode, R-Lenexa, said during a meeting of the House Education budget committee.

“I have massive heartburn about it,” said Grosserode, who is vice chair of the panel.

Gray-Little said the apartments are needed as a recruiting tool and to monitor and protect student-athletes from professional sports agents.

She said currently “people approach basketball players all of the time.”

KU is seeking authority from the state to issue bonds for the building, which would be paid off by the university. Of the 66 apartments in the building, 32 would be for student-athletes and 34 for students who are not athletes.

The project would also include a commons area, kitchen, parking lot and half-court basketball court.

Is anybody surprised by this?   Seemed like a giant waste of money to begin with.  BGL's justification is not very believable.  Not like this facility is going to stop people from approaching bball players. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.