Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4052547 times)

BBF$$Kat and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25800 on: December 08, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »
I can't go back to playing shitty teams week in, week out. We are competing for conference championships playing the best teams and that is too much fun.

yeah

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25801 on: December 08, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Call CSU and tell them to have that new stadium built by yesterday. Tell New Mexico to get their crap in gear to the tune of a 200m stadium in ABQ. Let them cheat their asses off for a few years to become average. Add BYU and kick the coal miners to the curb.

Southwest Conference

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25802 on: December 08, 2014, 04:42:28 PM »
It's like, losing Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri tremendously hurt the identity of the conference. And adding teams like Cincinnati and Memphis would just hurt it even more. Let's try not to go down that Conference USA hodge podge mish mash road if we can help it.
#teamfuckemstayat10

Same, but add a tie breaker so there isn't a co-champs sitch again.  Singular champ of a round robin is >>>>>> better than title game.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #25803 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

Idea: Have the right to schedule a CCG, but only if there's a tie and we want to.

Like, UT and OU are tied at 8-1 and both in the top 4, just don't play the game. BU and TCU are out, play the game and get one in.

Like a tiebreaker game at the end of MLB season. I like it. I like it a lot.

I like it.  I also like the "WE DO WHAT WE WANT" aspect of this idea.

The only problem I see with that idea is that it might be hard to find somebody to host the championship game on short notice, and I'm not sure if anyone would be cool with just being "on call" every year. I'm certainly no expert on college football venues, though, so I could be dead wrong here.

On campus, based on coin flip

What if there's a 3 way tie?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25804 on: December 08, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »

Idea: Have the right to schedule a CCG, but only if there's a tie and we want to.

Like, UT and OU are tied at 8-1 and both in the top 4, just don't play the game. BU and TCU are out, play the game and get one in.

Like a tiebreaker game at the end of MLB season. I like it. I like it a lot.

I like it.  I also like the "WE DO WHAT WE WANT" aspect of this idea.

The only problem I see with that idea is that it might be hard to find somebody to host the championship game on short notice, and I'm not sure if anyone would be cool with just being "on call" every year. I'm certainly no expert on college football venues, though, so I could be dead wrong here.

On campus, based on coin flip

What if there's a 3 way tie?

3 way coin flip. Haven't you read Friday Night Lights?

That reminds me, all the coaches should meet at a Love's in Oklahoma and it should be televised on local TV.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25805 on: December 08, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
Why would we want divisions.  We could have the two best teams play each other for the CCG.  This year Baylor and TCU could prove who's the best.  That way we keep our round robin in FB and "one true champion".

We should just tell the NCAA to go fcvk itself. Stay at ten teams, play the round robin, and then if it looks like teams might need a boost at the end of the year, schedule a CCG for the top two teams. If it looks like we'll have someone go undefeated, no need for a CCG that year. It'll be kinda like how there sometimes a need for Game 7 and sometimes not.

What the hell guys? I have this idea yesterday evening, and then this afternoon you're talking about it like you came up with it?

GMAFB.   :confused:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25806 on: December 08, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Why would we want divisions.  We could have the two best teams play each other for the CCG.  This year Baylor and TCU could prove who's the best.  That way we keep our round robin in FB and "one true champion".

We should just tell the NCAA to go fcvk itself. Stay at ten teams, play the round robin, and then if it looks like teams might need a boost at the end of the year, schedule a CCG for the top two teams. If it looks like we'll have someone go undefeated, no need for a CCG that year. It'll be kinda like how there sometimes a need for Game 7 and sometimes not.

What the hell guys? I have this idea yesterday evening, and then this afternoon you're talking about it like you came up with it?

GMAFB.   :confused:

congrats, you can have full credit. go buy yourself an eggnog milkshake

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25807 on: December 08, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »
Nice! I do like milkshakes.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25808 on: December 08, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
Crazy idea:

Invite Boise and BYU as FB only members.  9 game schedule.  Boise and BYU can cut their own deals with ESPN for home games.  Current Big12 keeps their TV contract.  Same number of home conference available for content now (45) as under new deal.  If either makes champ game they get $2mm.  Make Sugar or other NYE get another $2mm.

Anyone who mentions Boise as a possible pick up for the conference should be kicked in the dick and then banned.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25809 on: December 08, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
No one is stealing my idea for puppet teams. Do you realize how envious even the SEC tycoons would be that they didn't think of such a boss move first?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25810 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »
I support adding schools like Tulane, Rice, WashUStl and Yale.  KU and UT need more academic peers.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25811 on: December 08, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »

I support adding schools like Tulane, Rice, WashUStl and Yale.  KU and UT need more academic peers.

Tim Fitzgerald, of Go Powercat fame, was a very vocal advocate for Tulane during the last round of expansion.  His reasoning was sound, because it was based on booze, food, and cabaret shows exclusively.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25812 on: December 08, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
The Texas of Kansas has no peers

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25813 on: December 08, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »
and the Fort is a great balance with it's micro breweries and dispensaries

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25814 on: December 08, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »
My affinity for Odell would allow me to accept that addition, although I doubt they are quite up to KU standards w/r/t academics.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25815 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
BIG XII RESEARCHING POSSIBLE CANDIDATES FOR EXPANSION EVEN BEFORE PLAYOFF SNUB

Don’t expect the Big 12 Conference to panic simply because its co-champions, TCU and Baylor, were excluded from the four-team field of the College Football Playoff despite each matching the one-loss seasons of three teams included.

With its lucrative television contracts in place, worth more than $20 million annually to the member schools, the Big 12 would be foolish to make any move simply in reaction to that disappointment.

However, the conference already had been planning its future well in advance of Sunday’s CFP selections.

Big 12 officials recently met with administrators from the University of Cincinnati, a source close to the university told Sporting News. That is not an indication membership will be offered to the Bearcats in the immediate future — only that they would be a candidate were such an expansion to be undertaken.

It is not known how many other universities, if any, have had similar meetings. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby was in New York and unavailable to speak Monday with Sporting News.

Expansion is a complicated matter for the Big 12 because its television contracts, signed with ESPN and Fox in 2012, are scheduled to run through the 2024-25 season. Such deals have been renegotiated in the past with other conferences; in some cases, it was believed the opportunity to reopen television contracts was a motivation for leagues to pursue expansion.

However, aside from Notre Dame – which already declined an opportunity to join the Big 12 and instead chose the ACC – there is no potential member outside of the current “Power 5” conferences whose appeal would lead either network to add substantially to the current Big 12 contracts.

BYU is independent and has a considerable following and already has an ESPN deal through 2018 believed to pay the school in the neighborhood of $1 million for every televised home football game. If the Cougars desired more defined access to the football playoff, it is possible ESPN would make some minor adjustments to its contracts with the Big 12.

Bob Bowlsby (Getty)

There is, however, the latent threat of expansion by other conferences to include Big 12 members – specifically Texas, which always has been an attractive target for the Big Ten Conference but never has come into play in its expansion discussions.

The Big 12 members signed a grant-of-rights pledging future media earnings to the league, which essentially binds them to the league, but Maryland was only the latest athletic program to negotiate down its penalty for changing leagues (from the $52 million excepted down to about $31 million).

An attorney writing for Fox Sports suggested a school possibly could escape a grant-of-rights deal with no penalty whatsoever; however, Texas’ value to the Big 12 might test the lawyer’s hypothesis that no league ever will have a TV contract reduced because of a change in membership.

The Big 12 does not stage a football championship game because it includes 10 members. NCAA rules mandate a league have at least 12 members to be approved for a title game. The Big 12 has asked for a waiver of that rule, but the status of that request is uncertain.

The results of the CFP deliberations, at the very least, figure to lead to the league pushing harder to get that waiver approved. The conference wound up with co-champions in Baylor and TCU because they had identical win-loss records. There is a common belief the absence of a title game hurt the league.

“It’s clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game,” Bowlsby said in an interview with ESPN. “It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time.”

However, there have been multiple occasions in which a Big 12 team on track to be invited to the BCS title game was eliminated because of a conference title-game loss.

If any of the current playoff entrants had lost on Saturday – even previously undefeated Florida State – that team likely would have been replaced by either Baylor or TCU. If two had lost, the Bears and Horned Frogs both might have made it.

Big 12 officials met Monday in New York in a scheduled gathering that coincided with the annual gathering of athletic administrators for the National Football Foundation dinner.

No doubt the agenda for that meeting was reprioritized at some point on Sunday.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25816 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
FUH-KING SIN-SA-NAD-DEE.

Gross.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25817 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
Travel partner to WVU?  :dunno:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25818 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
Its like a slippery slope of mediocrity.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25819 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
I guess we wait and see...

us

going

downhill.

The Big Train

« Reply #25820 on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »
so when does the cliff notes version come out?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25821 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
I do enjoy hearing the crazy stuff people make up.  Like FedEx will pay $50mm to sponsor the Big12 champ game if we take Memphis.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25822 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
I do enjoy hearing the crazy stuff people make up.  Like FedEx will pay $50mm to sponsor the Big12 champ game if we take Memphis.
Take it up with Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25823 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »

Take it up with Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News.

He's a basketball guy desperate for basketball to matter, who lives in Cincinnati.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #25824 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
I just don't know if I can handle Tommy coming back.