Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 107840 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #1075 on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »
$50 kid needs to subcontract kid 2.0. 

$50 - $20 = $30 for nothing

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 25, 2018, 06:34:28 AM »
$50 kid needs to subcontract kid 2.0. 

$50 - $20 = $30 for nothing

Holy crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
when i was 13 give or take 5 years i would mow neighbors' lawns but not our own.  sorry dad, no doe no mow

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
I had a few clients in Jr high and HS, but my dad said I "tear up the lawn" so I never did our house. I think he just likes mowing, he has one of those absurdly expensive commercial mowers for his like 1/4 acre of grass.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 25, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
I spent about 3 hours per week mowing my parents' lawn and was paid nothing for it. If I ever have kids, I will probably buy a house with a huge lawn so they can have the same experience.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 28, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
So i think i'm over the hump, but it seems i over applied fertilizer this spring and i've killed a good percentage of my grass, including all the new grass i planted last fall :-(

Can i do anything to fill back out my yard or am i stuck with patch city (or i guess annual grass city if i stop applying preventer) until i can overseed in the fall?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
SD, break one of your windows and claim that the neighbor kid did it as an excuse to fire him.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 05, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
Overseeded my patchy and crabgrass riddled lawn in early April. Used Scott’s Lawn Food and Scott’s seed.  Waited until the young grass was strong enough then blasted dandelion, crabgrass and other weeds with WeedBGone.

Been watering long and deep since new grass has matured.

I should be able to put some fertilizer on in early July, but plan on overseeing again in fall.

My question is how to finish out these next few months before fall/winter really sets in.

I do plan to do a preemergent next spring, but will likely need to do another overseer next spring/summer as well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:18 PM »
I have a middle schooler that will cut and weed eat for 20 bucks.
Jfc poor kid

I tip him five dollars and give him an ice cold pop when his mom picks him up

They are emaw

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
I have to mow today guys. And it’s hot. And I’m hungover.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
I really need to as well :frown:

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
As I rework areas of our yard, I have been planting buffalo grass.  It's pretty great once you get it established.  Doesn't require a lot of water or fertilizer which is a big plus since we have about 3 acres to deal with.  You also don't have to mow it as often due to how it grows. 
@mikec2w

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
My uncle has that stuff at their compound in texas. It seems pretty great, not as clean looking as regular cut grass but it stops growing at like 5 inches and they never mow it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
another huge plus is that it's disgustingly brown year round so it makes your neighbors' yards look great

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 13, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »
Xurb'rs like c2w and my uncle don't care about neighbor yards

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 13, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
As I rework areas of our yard, I have been planting buffalo grass.  It's pretty great once you get it established.  Doesn't require a lot of water or fertilizer which is a big plus since we have about 3 acres to deal with.  You also don't have to mow it as often due to how it grows.

how does it do in a climate with winter rains and summer drought?  and does it stand any chance of resisting bermuda and crabgrass invasions?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 13, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
I have to mow today guys. And it’s hot. And I’m hungover.

Don't you have a guy for that?
:adios:

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2018, 11:26:22 AM »
another huge plus is that it's disgustingly brown year round so it makes your neighbors' yards look great

That is incorrect.  It is actually greener than most of the other grass during the summer if you are talking about comparing non-irrigated yards.  Also, when it does go dormant due to no water, it recovers faster and with less moisture than other turf grasses (fescue).
@mikec2w

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
Xurb'rs like c2w and my uncle don't care about neighbor yards

This is correct.  They are far enough from me that I don't really give a crap about them.
@mikec2w

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »

how does it do in a climate with winter rains and summer drought?  and does it stand any chance of resisting bermuda and crabgrass invasions?

It's dormant in the winter so it gives zero fucks about winter moisture.  It really doesn't get growing until it gets hot out.  It will stand the summer drought better than most other grasses.  As far as bermuda goes, it is tough to get anything to resist its invasion.  Buffalo grass spreads on the surface of the soil vs. bermuda which spreads on the surface and subsurface.  Not sure about crabgrass, but I would bet you would want to apply something to knock it down while the buffalo is still dormant in early spring.  I've heard of people spraying their entire yard with roundup in early spring to knock out undesirable grasses/weeds that start growing before their buffalo takes off.
@mikec2w

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »
maybe i'll do a little patch and see how it does.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
The seed is pretty expensive...about $12 per pound.  However, you only seed it at 2-3 pounds per 1000 square feet versus about 8 pounds per 1000 square feet for fescue.  Also, don't apply any fertilizer....it will make other things grow faster than the buffalo.  Finally, only till your area about an inch or so deep.  Once you broadcast the seed, lightly drag a rake over it to scatter a bit of dirt over the seed and then pack the crap out of it either with a riding lawn mower, a roller, or your feet.  You will still see seed on the surface and that's OK.  Buffalo likes intimate seed to soil contact which the packing provides.  Water the hell out of it until it gets tall enough to mow and then you should be good to let mother nature take care of the water after that.  It will take a while to get it established and totally fill your area in, but once it does you will be golden.
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
what time of year do you seed?

it doesn't rain at all (0.00 inches) out here from about april-may until november-december, so i think i'd still need to irrigate.  but my guess is that the cool season grasses in the seed bank will dominate the hell out of it in the rainy season and the bermuda will beat the eff out of it during the summer, so it'll look like crap at all times of the year and i'll just give up on it.  if i plant it at all.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 13, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
what time of year do you seed?

it doesn't rain at all (0.00 inches) out here from about april-may until november-december, so i think i'd still need to irrigate.  but my guess is that the cool season grasses in the seed bank will dominate the hell out of it in the rainy season and the bermuda will beat the eff out of it during the summer, so it'll look like crap at all times of the year and i'll just give up on it.  if i plant it at all.

Round up the crap out of your yard

Rake it up

Verticut

Seed

Water.

In KS this is best done in September as it is Fri and starts to cool.