Author Topic: 5 years ago....  (Read 6589 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 years ago....
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »
That video made me really happy!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
We aren't anywhere near KU football. Yet.

JMHO.
I disagree. KU football will likely make (wnd win) a non-shitty bowl game well before we win a tournament game again.
That isn't a totally apples to apples comparo as 3 shitty noncons and 3-6 in conference gets KU in a bowl game versus an equally mediocre opponent.  TCU pretty much put the exact equivalent in BB this season by going undefeated vs a bad noncon (that actually had 3 P5 schools and a tourny team in Ole Miss) and 5/15 and they didn't even get an NIT bid.

I guess after looking at it that way I have to agree.

We were one of TCU's top 3 wins after Oklahoma State and Ole Miss. This year's TCU was pretty much Wooly's 05 team.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
NU should be good next year, they don't really lose much and get KU transfer Andrew White eligible next season.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:28 AM »
We aren't anywhere near KU football. Yet.

JMHO.

"You see that pile of crap out there?"

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
NU should be good next year, they don't really lose much and get KU transfer Andrew White eligible next season.

Not really losing much from a 13-18 team and adding a guy that basically hasn't played college ball would make me feel great as a nubb fan.  #getchodicksoutnubbers
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »

Not really losing much from a 13-18 team and adding a guy that basically hasn't played college ball would make me feel great as a nubb fan.  #getchodicksoutnubbers

Retitle thread to "5 yrs in the future..." and you could see KSU and NU being similar.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »

well, I would much rather have Shields and Pettaway coming back and White was 52 RSCI

Also how does the Big Ten do scheduling, is there any rhyme or reason to this?
Nebraska’s 2015-16 Big Ten Opponents
Home-and-Home: Indiana, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers
Single-Play Home: Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State
Single-Play Away: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »

well, I would much rather have Shields and Pettaway coming back and White was 52 RSCI

Also how does the Big Ten do scheduling, is there any rhyme or reason to this?
Nebraska’s 2015-16 Big Ten Opponents
Home-and-Home: Indiana, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers
Single-Play Home: Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State
Single-Play Away: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin

They should be decent, but they also should have been this year. They lost one guy from the previous year's NCAA team and this year they were terrible.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
remember five years ago when we all used to laugh super hard at iowa state basketball?  :lol:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
:cry:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
remember five years ago when we all used to laugh super hard at iowa state basketball?  :lol:

Things can change rather quickly for programs like ours (and theirs).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

yep. it was pretty smart of them to fire mcdermott after only four years and go take a chance on another guy.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »

Remember Bobby Knight talking about how Virginia Tech would not face a more physical or intense team than Kansas State at the start of the 2010-11 season when the #3 ranked Cats were featured on ESPNs college hoops tipoff special. Heady times.

:bball:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

yep. it was pretty smart of them to fire mcdermott after only four years and go take a chance on another guy.

yup.  Firing a coach who everyone can see will not succeed is a pretty smart move.  Both for the schools and the coach.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »

yup.  Firing a coach who everyone can see will not succeed is a pretty smart move.  Both for the schools and the coach.

even better is recognizing that coach will not succeed (because he just got fired at a very similar job) and not hiring him in the first place. Yet here we are.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »

even better is recognizing that coach will not succeed (because he just got fired at a very similar job) and not hiring him in the first place. Yet here we are.

Tom Izzo though

The Big Train

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
that is still the craziest basketball game i have ever seen, MHK and aggieville were rough ridin' nuts that night

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »

Tom Izzo though

yes, you (and Izzo) bring up good points

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
here's the bottom line though. every AD/GM/High school principal/whatever is going to make an occasional bad hire. the goods one recognize it fairly quickly, fire the guy and move on. eventually you are going to do this enough that you'll stumble into someone great like baylor football did with briles and then you do whatever you can to keep that guy happy. time will tell what kind of AD currie is.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »
here's the bottom line though. every AD/GM/High school principal/whatever is going to make an occasional bad hire. the goods one recognize it fairly quickly, fire the guy and move on. eventually you are going to do this enough that you'll stumble into someone great like baylor football did with briles and then you do whatever you can to keep that guy happy. time will tell what kind of AD currie is.

Yes. Your post about the athletic department not caring enough about basketball is the one that scares me the most. It looks ugly now, and will be worse next season, but it has been proven that all it takes for a program like K-State's to succeed is to put the money and effort into place.

The team will most likely be awful next season regardless of who is the head coach. The AD can do a number of things. They can fire oscar now. But unless they've got a sure thing waiting in the wings right now, this would be a bad move. Or they could just ride it out another year while oscar finishes off burning down the place. This lets them save face and limit worry from potential head coaches available at the end of next season.

I have no confidence that K-State won't have a losing record again next season. The lame duck is in full effect. The saddest part of it all is that none of this needed to happen. Curries didn't have to be an overly compliant micro-manager who couldn't get along with a successful head coach he inherited. Frank didn't need to clash so hard with his AD that he was willing to leave the program that he built for an SEC bottom feeder. That's what started all of this.

Maybe oscar was the viable best option available at the time. It doesn't even matter now. The only thing that matters is how committed they are and who they hire going forward. It all comes back to what you said earlier, and that's the scary part. It's hard to have any confidence that the people in charge of the AD are at all committed to winning basketball.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
What dollar figure would we have to put out there to get Wichita State's coach?

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
What dollar figure would we have to put out there to get Wichita State's coach?

10 million
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
Why would that be, is it because they beat us like a stick at the end of the season most years.  :whistle1:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:20 PM »
That video made me really happy!

Me too! I remember exactly where I was watching it.  So many stomach punch, jump up and down, stomach punch, then sheer bliss moments.  Will absolutely never forget it.  If you would have told me oscar would be coaching K-State two years from then I would've said yeah John Currie is weird and gross.

We had a great coach, look at Sys' signature and that tells the whole story on how we got here.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »
My heart rate still rises significantly when watching highlights of the 2OT game. Will we ever see a Final 4 while Currie is here?