Author Topic: Is it impossible for 15/16 team to be better than 14/15?  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it impossible for 15/16 team to be better than 14/15?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
Getting old sucks cause I remember winning that Illinois game by 20, not losing by 20

Yeah, that's strange. Maybe getting mixed up with the next season's near win over a decent Ole Miss team? Featuring the dumb Reynold's foul and Canby's best game as a Cat?

You guys lost that one too.  :surprised:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kansas-state/2002-schedule.html

I guess the good news is that it apparently doesn't matter what actually happened once a sufficient amount of time has passed. 

I did say "near win". :D

Back in those days "near wins" against anybody decent were a big deal. Maybe they will be again.

Sorry, friend.  I skipped right over the near. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »
Addressing the likely much easier OOC sched.  It could really gives us some good embarrassment oppy, too.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »
_FAN, what would have to happen next year for you to want oscar gone? And what do you think has to happen for him to actually be gone?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
_FAN, what would have to happen next year for you to want oscar gone? And what do you think has to happen for him to actually be gone?

Not making postseason with some semblance of improvement and positive momentum for this program. If I come out of next season (we should know by February honestly) that oscar has (re)built an NCAA tournament team from this current mess, then I'll be okay. That's going to be predicated by some significant improvement in consistency from guys like Westicles, Edwards, Johnson, and Hurt plus new guys like Brown and Wade being significant contributors. Its a tough shot, but not impossible.

Reality probably means a single digit win season for significant heat on oscar and even then he probably gets one more season minimum. So he's here at least 2 more years even if things go very south next year.

JMHO.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
I think if he had Mizzou's season, 9-23 (3-15), next year he would get fired. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

3-15 seems possible.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »

3-15 seems possible.
add in the 2 SEC roadies, CSU in ICT and hopefully a tough draw in the SEC/Big12 and we might be on to something  :pray:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
He wont get fired because dumbasses are still going to buy tickets. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
Our recruiting class is going to have to be a whole lot better than advertised to have any chance whatsoever of being a better team next season.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
for some reason (higher expectations or high game to game variance probably), people are having a hard time accepting how bad the 14-15 team was.  it's not going to be hard for the 15-16 team to be better.  from 2002-2006 (the five years that wooldridge overlapped kenpom, only the 2002 team had a lower kenpom rating than this year's kstate team.

it's entirely reasonable to expect next year's team to be better.  any random group of legitimate big 12 quality recruits thrown together on a team would have a good shot at being better in their first year.  and kstate does have a few returning players.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
As Rusty said, we may have a better record and an NIT just because of schedule.

i've said this before, but it's actually very hard to get in the nit.  it's used as the shorthand standard for being a mediocre high-major team, but very few high-major teams make the nit.  it's a very small window between being good enough for the ncaa's and not good enough for the nit.  no big 12 team played in the nit this year.  only one big 12 team has played in the nit in the last four years (baylor, 2013).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
As Rusty said, we may have a better record and an NIT just because of schedule.

i've said this before, but it's actually very hard to get in the nit.  it's used as the shorthand standard for being a mediocre high-major team, but very few high-major teams make the nit.  it's a very small window between being good enough for the ncaa's and not good enough for the nit.  no big 12 team played in the nit this year.  only one big 12 team has played in the nit in the last four years (baylor, 2013).

Making it more difficult, adding regular season champs that didn't make it to the NCAA tourney took up 11 spots this year <-this is probably the biggest change since we were thinking we could make the NIT.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »
What's the evidence for this talking point? That ticket sales will have more of an impact than performance?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »
What's the evidence for this talking point? That ticket sales will have more of an impact than performance?

john only cares about the financial health of his department.  There are only two sources of continued revenue from athletics and basketball is one of them. If no one buys tickets and his basketball revenue dries up he will be forced to make a change.

catzacker

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
we're going to have a better record next year - and then the talking point will be "see, oscar got the team better with less/unexperienced talent - give him another year (or two) and let's see what he can do".

amazingly, but not surprisingly, by dismissing foster he reset the shot clock.  it's as if oscar had nothing to do with the last 3 years and is a new coach.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

john only cares about the financial health of his department.  There are only two sources of continued revenue from athletics and basketball is one of them. If no one buys tickets and his basketball revenue dries up he will be forced to make a change.
If that were the case, Frank would still be here.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »

lol wut

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »

lol wut
If it's all about the money. Frank brought money. I'll take my chances with renewing season tickets and possibly getting even better seats with people not renewing. I think performance on the court and all that comes with that will do more to enact change than people not buying season tickets.

If every ticket is sold and no one shows because we suck, currie is not going to be content. Conversely, if we kick ass and and no one is there, he is not going to fire the coach. Having a good program is a benefit to the AD and the university as a whole.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »
Currie saw frank as a risky investment and sold high

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Currie saw frank as a risky investment and sold high

After the oscar hire, I think we can go ahead and say that Currie doesn't know very much about risk.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
Best case scenario we are around 20th in defensive efficiency and 50th in offensive efficiency. Team would have to play so hard, I don't see. oscar would have to pull a couple rabbits out of the hat with the last 2/3 of scholarships. He also has to setup himself for signing more than just 2 recruits in the 2016 class just for roster health.

If Nigel is exiting , oscar is in so much trouble. Can't go 1/5 on freshmen in one year.  He is basically doubling down two years laters on spring recruits.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »

lol wut
If it's all about the money. Frank brought money. I'll take my chances with renewing season tickets and possibly getting even better seats with people not renewing. I think performance on the court and all that comes with that will do more to enact change than people not buying season tickets.

If every ticket is sold and no one shows because we suck, currie is not going to be content. Conversely, if we kick ass and and no one is there, he is not going to fire the coach. Having a good program is a benefit to the AD and the university as a whole.
This is very Iowa Statey of you. They show up strong to every football game and still have Paul Rhodes.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!