Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106149 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
2nd to last play of the game, we called a play that led to our receiver being tackled at the 1. We had 0 timeouts. If we hadn't gotten a penalty for O-PI we would've ended the game without throwing to the endzone

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
Ooh, what about last year when we were beating #2 TCU at half by 18 points, so obviously we should've just Collin Klein 2010 Texas'd the Horned Frogs and ran the ball effortlessly for the entire second half, but INSTEAD!!! we decided to have Bazooka Joe air it out for the entire 3rd and 4th quarters? Because that's what they won't expect us to do! Because we're bad at it! They'll never expect it.

Garth
 :lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
2nd to last play of the game, we called a play that led to our receiver being tackled at the 1. We had 0 timeouts. If we hadn't gotten a penalty for O-PI we would've ended the game without throwing to the endzone

I think that was more of the player not being aware of where he was on the field than the call. We've run rub plays against man in the endzone plenty of times before.

The play that really hurt on that final drive was the outside run to Jones that got blown up and forced us to waste a TO. Of course, that outside zone scheme had gotten us big chunks earlier in the game for both Jones and Barnes so I understood it, but when it got destroyed and we lost yards it took an additional running play our of our hands because we had to waste one of our two timeouts.

Also, this was a game where truly wasting a TO in a late play clock situation came back to hurt us. If we had an additional timeout and a chance to call another run play at the 4 with 10 seconds left I truly think we win the game.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
I hope they can finally put to bed the "Snyder teams don't beat themselves" bullshit. We have twice this year and nearly did in 2 others

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »
If Bill decides to retire, I hope he announces sooner that later. I don't want a May announcement and have absolutely zero coaching options.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
The sequence where we chose not to call a timeout with the clock running and gundy waiting till right before the snap to call one made him look much smarter than our coach

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
I'm confused as to the roll of our safeties in this defense.

Run support, they are non existent in defending the pass. Also OSU kept running at Willis because it seems they only have him bee lining at the QB, always.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »

I think that was more of the player not being aware of where he was on the field than the call. We've run rub plays against man in the endzone plenty of times before.

The play that really hurt on that final drive was the outside run to Jones that got blown up and forced us to waste a TO. Of course, that outside zone scheme had gotten us big chunks earlier in the game for both Jones and Barnes so I understood it, but when it got destroyed and we lost yards it took an additional running play our of our hands because we had to waste one of our two timeouts.

Also, this was a game where truly wasting a TO in a late play clock situation came back to hurt us. If we had an additional timeout and a chance to call another run play at the 4 with 10 seconds left I truly think we win the game.

That OPI call was a complete make up call because the fourth down conversion was incredibly egregious and it happened in front of the OSU bench and I'm sure their coaches were going nuts.

Also the issue with the Jones zone play at that spot is that it was incredibly obvious that we were running there and OSU totally sold out on that. I'd be interested to see the location of their safeties on that play and how many they had in the box. I think a misdirection of sorts would have been awesome there, like the WR end around we ran earlier.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
#1 hiring oscar Weber and #2 LHC Bill Snyder not knowing when he is no longer relevant (i.e. just rough ridin' retire) are the two worst coaching decisions in the recent past.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:55:02 PM by HELLHAMMER »
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
Why was Dozier 1:1 with Washington on that 82 yd TD?

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
Why was Dozier 1:1 with Washington on that 82 yd TD?

Because our DC is a dumbass.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Powercat84

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Barnes clearly made enough yardage on 2nd and 4 for a first down on our ill-fated 4th and 1 drive?  No replay and no discussion.  Then 3rd and 1 gets stuffed and we tuck our balls and punt... Watch the play...   Am I off base?   :Chirp:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
I'm confused as to the roll of our safeties in this defense.

Run support, they are non existent in defending the pass.

Seems like an ill-advised strategy in the big12
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2016, 07:24:33 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Barnes clearly made enough yardage on 2nd and 4 for a first down on our ill-fated 4th and 1 drive?  No replay and no discussion.  Then 3rd and 1 gets stuffed and we tuck our balls and punt... Watch the play...   Am I off base?   :Chirp:

Nope, you are not off base at all. The ref starts walking in from the sideline where the ball should have been but marks it back a yard when he gets there. That still doesn't excuse our dumbass coaching staff to go with a qb sneak on the next play and not going for it on 4th
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 12:19:04 AM »
If Bill decides to retire, I hope he announces sooner that later. I don't want a May announcement and have absolutely zero coaching options.

More likely a July retirement with Sean as the only option.  But Currie has that covered with Jerry Kill in the wings.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 12:41:10 AM »
If Bill decides to retire, he needs to announce now for recruiting and, more importantly, for the HC choice. IMO opinion , Coach needs to turn the program  over to someone like BV.

Offline Nature Boy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
For better or worse, I shape the lives of America's youth one math class at a time, so I'm not always able to stay current with what's been posted on the board...forgive me if this is a total repeat.  A theory:

Bill, John and BV have already worked out a deal to make BV the head coach in waiting next year as well as DC.  This would have been done sooner, but BV wanted to give himself the opportunity to be a coach on a NC team, which another year of DeShaun Watson potentially gives him this year.  This would explain why Hayes was brought back despite evidence suggesting he wanted to retire after last year.  BV will take over the D next year, bring with him an offensive mind capable of putting together a game plan that doesn't completely boggle the mind, and Bill will ride off into the sunset with a team capable of making some noise nationally next year.

Holes:  John Currie may not be capable of actually pulling this off.  Bill may be too delusional/egotistical/old to realize it's time to call it a day.  BV gets an offer he can't refuse from somewhere else.

What else am I missing?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »
Bill needs to gtfo this season and take all of his loser assistants with him.

Here's another terrible coaching decision: keeping Delton on the bench.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 10:11:56 AM »
Here's another terrible coaching decision: keeping Delton on the bench.

The offense is getting better and better and Ertz is a major reason why. For those that can't see that, I don't know what to tell you, but you aren't paying much attention.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
this stat right here sums up our season
Alex Barnes   27   210   7.8   27   
Jesse Ertz   109   192   1165   56.8   6.07

bolded is yards per carry vs yards vs attempt

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »

_FAN made the point about them turning Ertz into Klein. The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here, he's now essentially a wishbone quarterback.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »

_FAN made the point about them turning Ertz into Klein. The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here, he's now essentially a wishbone quarterback.
and i think he is (or could be) a very good runner, we have talked about this. I'm just not sure why we need him to throw if we have ball carriers rushing for more yards on average than he throws for on average.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »

and i think he is (or could be) a very good runner, we have talked about this. I'm just not sure why we need him to throw if we have ball carriers rushing for more yards on average than he throws for on average.

He's slowly but surely getting better at throwing the ball down field, now the receivers at least have a shot at catching them. I thought this game was his worst at throwing short and intermediate routes. Also people are going to be pissed but I think he's the starter until he leaves, barring injury, no matter the staff in place.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here

This is so hard to believe given his arm