Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106314 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
So, that all makes a lot of sense. But as a high football IQ guy, what do you attribute that to? Certainly, injuries and scheme have hindered us, but even our 2015 Hubener/Cook team managed to be pretty competent offensively. This season just seems so bizarre.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'd say the loss of Johnson and Najvar on the offensive line would be primary, followed by WRs underperforming and QB injuries.

Here are the 2 major metrics that I follow (S&P and FEI, from footballoutsiders.com) during Snyder 2.0. I expected this year to have a similar progression as we had from 2010 to 2011 and so far that simply hasn't happened.

Those special teams tho :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
just trying to help you reduce the eye rolls around you (or whatever it was somebody else said) :dunno: :ump:

No one said crap. You say that like people are interested in reading you repeatedly ruining threads by doing this. Instead of offering me advice, maybe you can find some self-awareness. I'll let you have the last word. I'm done with this stupid crap, I'd rather continue talking about the cats and not some bum ass, weird rando.

we r buds, always have been, always will be :cheers:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:30 AM »
So, that all makes a lot of sense. But as a high football IQ guy, what do you attribute that to? Certainly, injuries and scheme have hindered us, but even our 2015 Hubener/Cook team managed to be pretty competent offensively. This season just seems so bizarre.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'd say the loss of Johnson and Najvar on the offensive line would be primary, followed by WRs underperforming and QB injuries.

Here are the 2 major metrics that I follow (S&P and FEI, from footballoutsiders.com) during Snyder 2.0. I expected this year to have a similar progression as we had from 2010 to 2011 and so far that simply hasn't happened.

thanks man, i reek of blood and guts and chum salmon head and am headed to bed. this chart really puts it in perspective and know it's appreciated from a guy who is just trying to follow the cats from afar.  :)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2017, 03:41:17 AM »

I really don't agree.  With the way our offense has been struggling we need to manufacture possessions anyway we can.  I see, and appreciate, your point that fans would freak out either way.  I just think the smarter play, fans be damned, would have been to try and get our offense one more possession with a minute left and 2 timeouts from midfield.  Seems like it could be relatively possible to get our sure-footed kicker in range at the least.

Calling the time out gives KU another option to extend the half. Not calling the time out gives one, very.low percentage chance to extend the half or score. If you call that time out and KU decides to go for it, they need 14 yards, if you don't they need 49 yards.

Also you're arguing against your own point. You're saying if we call time out, KU punts. If they punt from there it's highly unlikely that were getting the ball near midfield.

Not to belabor this too much but you're misrepresenting my point(s).  I never said we would get the ball at mid field after a punt, in fact I said: "If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback."  The point was don't give them a shot down field, even if it is low percentage.  You hold them on 3rd down.  They have a low percentage of getting that first down (4th and 14), I would trust my defense to make that play.  I did trust them to prevent the touchdown but the risk reward is much worse for us then stopping them and getting another offensive possession.

I guess my point is which do you think has a great probability of success.
1) KU getting 14 yards with 39 seconds left, needing probably 20 yards after that to get into scoring position (35 yard FG). 
or
2) KSU defense holding KU on a 4th down play and preventing a 14 yard play and then a 25 yard play.

Oh, I don't think it was very likely they would have gotten the first down, nor do I think it was likely that the coaches would have let Thompson pass us into field goal territory, so why give them the opportunity to try to make that first down?
. Fair points. As you rightly pointed out, this is far from the most glaring decision.

Go cats.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
does anyone actually know dimel or met him? just curious if he's a totally oblivious blowhard irl or just bad at coaching or handicapped by other elements of our staff/team or what. during tcu 2015 as he was blowing it for us, i actually turned to the press box and flipped him off and yelled, "you rough ridin' suck dimel," and like 20 ppl in section 8 laughed. there isn't anyone i've met who thinks he knows wtf he's doing.

were you embarrassed after doing that?

hahahahahaha. are you aware that no one can intimidate me? and no i wasn't. at all. eff off.

how old are you?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
Maybe del was more important than we thought
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »

Or is Collin really bad?  :surprised:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »
 :ohno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 30, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
One last point on the end of half, non-timeout call.  There is no way KU was going for it on 4th and 14...and for all those saying they would have had we called timeout i ask this:  why didn't KU call timeout immediately?  If they would have gone for it had we called timeout, whey wouldn't they have called timeout themselves and gone for it if that's what was their plan?

Bottom line, it was a horrible decision to not call timeout and allow KU a free shot. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 30, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
One last point on the end of half, non-timeout call.  There is no way KU was going for it on 4th and 14...and for all those saying they would have had we called timeout i ask this:  why didn't KU call timeout immediately?  If they would have gone for it had we called timeout, whey wouldn't they have called timeout themselves and gone for it if that's what was their plan?

Bottom line, it was a horrible decision to not call timeout and allow KU a free shot.

They were out of time outs, used the last one on third down.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
KU had to waste a time out after an incomplete pass while running their two minute drill :lol:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 30, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
I think the smart move had we called a timeout would have been to go ahead and go for it on 4th and 14, based entirely on the way our coaching staff fails to manage the clock and the capabilities of our special teams to produce big plays. Against just about any other college football program, a coach would be insane to go for 4th and 14 and risk giving the other team the ball near midfield with almost 1 minute to play. I think Beatty would have punted because I don't think he is a very good football coach and coaches are just expected to punt in that situation, anyway. It's not like anyone would be asking questions about why he chose to punt on 4th and 14 after the game.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »

I have thought about that a few times. We've had issue adjusting in the past, but this year is probably the worst of it and I wonder how much Del was able to pull Dimel in. Or at least providing that steady hand to QBs that Collin still hasn't mastered yet.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 30, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Fwiw right after 3rd down Joe DeForest texted Sean saying "if you call timeout we will Polamalu whoever you send back to receive the punt. See if I'm joking."

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Sean texted back:

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 30, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »
dimel was addicted to running to the short side of the field vs KU

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 30, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
down to the 3rd string qb and what's the first playcall? quarterback run!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 30, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »
Stan was all  :love: when he saw this. "You wanna play QB for the KSUCats? Prepare to run the ball and deal with a bit of soreness after."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »

Nobody with a brain actually think ku was going to go for it on 4th and 14 from midfield. Not even Beatty is that stupid.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Stan was all  :love: when he saw this. "You wanna play QB for the KSUCats? Prepare to run the ball and deal with a bit of soreness after."

lol

this is a much bigger terrible decision item than the 4th and 14. I guess it's more of a terrible philosophy rather than a terrible decision though. Which makes it more terrible, but still.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 30, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
I was at the Bedlam game in Stillwater when Pat Jones decided to call time out when OU had 4th down from midfield with 6 seconds left in the first half.  The problem was that instead of punting like Pat thought they would, OU decided to throw it to the end zone knowing the play would take at least 6 seconds so there was no risk.  Cale Gundy chucked it deep and it was caught for a TD, forever being known as the "Cale Mary".  That was one of the worst coaching decisions i can remember but it's been rivaled several times this year by our staff.    :flush:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »

lol

this is a much bigger terrible decision item than the 4th and 14. I guess it's more of a terrible philosophy rather than a terrible decision though. Which makes it more terrible, but still.

2 out of the last 3 seasons the QB depth chart has been decimated due to injury. i can't help but wonder if the coaches ever once consider that their offensive philosophy does more harm than good. the more time goes on the more i realize that CK7 was an absolute freak, and even he got 'sketti brained vs osu in '12.

all we ever hear about is how diverse the playbook is, how we can run anything.. and yet, with a promising freshman that has been reported to have a rocket arm (hasn't been allowed to show it), our first playcall with him shows no creativity or change from the previous quarterbacks. it's disgusting.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Well said. We have a Tecmo Super Bowl offense of 8 plays.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
Well said. We have a Tecmo Super Bowl offense of 8 plays.

READY
DOWN
HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT