Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106343 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 29, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
Ku may have even been able to run a quick out and get out of bounds with a second left to try a long field goal if they wanted, it was a pretty wtf is going on moment

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 29, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
That's true. They would've had to gain at minimum 14 yards, though, and that would've been difficult because of our no-nonsense, bump-and-run, tight coverage we've run all season long. #NeitherBendNorBreak
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 29, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »
This is absolutely by far the WORST coaching decision we will have in this thread.  We gave them a free shot at the end zone because we were too rough ridin' stupid to call timeout with 40 seconds left.

I zoned out and/or was changing laundry or something. What exactly happened? Plz include setup, our coaches' dumb expressions, and everything else for posterity. tia.

They had a 4th down with about 40 seconds left. Our coaches didn't call timeout, so they were able to burn clock and take a free shot at the end zone instead of punting.

There was absolutely zero chance they would have punted if we called a timeout there. If we did call a timeout they would have only needed to pick up the first down to keep the half going. Not calling a time out was 100% the right call.

Even if it isn't what [you] would have done, you absolutely have to be able to see the logic at not calling the timeout there.
It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.
I don't need to argue what KU would have or should have done, the point is there is no correct answer so the decision doesn't belong in the thread. If we did call timeout and they went for it and got the first down then people would have freaked out about not letting the time run out.

I really don't agree.  With the way our offense has been struggling we need to manufacture possessions anyway we can.  I see, and appreciate, your point that fans would freak out either way.  I just think the smarter play, fans be damned, would have been to try and get our offense one more possession with a minute left and 2 timeouts from midfield.  Seems like it could be relatively possible to get our sure-footed kicker in range at the least.

Calling the time out gives KU another option to extend the half. Not calling the time out gives one, very.low percentage chance to extend the half or score. If you call that time out and KU decides to go for it, they need 14 yards, if you don't they need 49 yards.

Also you're arguing against your own point. You're saying if we call time out, KU punts. If they punt from there it's highly unlikely that were getting the ball near midfield.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 29, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
This is absolutely by far the WORST coaching decision we will have in this thread.  We gave them a free shot at the end zone because we were too rough ridin' stupid to call timeout with 40 seconds left.

I zoned out and/or was changing laundry or something. What exactly happened? Plz include setup, our coaches' dumb expressions, and everything else for posterity. tia.

They had a 4th down with about 40 seconds left. Our coaches didn't call timeout, so they were able to burn clock and take a free shot at the end zone instead of punting.

There was absolutely zero chance they would have punted if we called a timeout there. If we did call a timeout they would have only needed to pick up the first down to keep the half going. Not calling a time out was 100% the right call.

Even if it isn't what [you] would have done, you absolutely have to be able to see the logic at not calling the timeout there.

Game plan that out a bit for me because I don't see that playing out that way.

They were at 4th and 14 at our 39 (the 3rd down was a 4 yrd loss/sack) with about a minute left. 

KU is deep on the yards and hasn't shown that much explosiveness (lets say plays over 15 yards).  If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback.  The other scenario is that they make a deep play miss the connection and it functionally serves the same as giving KSU another possession not really far from the average starting position that KSU has started with in the half it seems.  Best case for them is the deep pass working and it's a first down or maybe touchdown.  I think our defense has been the strongest unit to this point and I would trust them to keep KU to a play <14 yards and we get a possession with one or two shots from mid field.  It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.

Sorry man, MIR has spoken and said it was ”100% the right call.” :lol:

Why do you do this every weekend? Frankly I'm tired of it. We're having a completely normal, civil, message board discussion and you have to come thundering in being an inflammatory weirdo. rough ridin' get off of my nuts, creeper.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 29, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Ku is not going for it on 4th and 14

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 29, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
:lol:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 29, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
just trying to help you reduce the eye rolls around you (or whatever it was somebody else said) :dunno: :ump:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 29, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
90% they go for it if we call a time out
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 29, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Maybe. They did have the ball on our own 41 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter and they punted it on 4th and 3, though. Whether or not the two situs can be applied to each other, though, I don’t know.

Probably the bigger issues, though:
A) We don’t have enough confidence in our coaches to have any idea what to do in late-game clock management situations, and
B) we have no faith in our coaches or our players to be able to dial up a stop on 4th and 14 against bar none the worst team in P5. A team that mustered 21 yards of total offense a week ago. :frown:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 29, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 29, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
does anyone actually know dimel or met him? just curious if he's a totally oblivious blowhard irl or just bad at coaching or handicapped by other elements of our staff/team or what. during tcu 2015 as he was blowing it for us, i actually turned to the press box and flipped him off and yelled, "you rough ridin' suck dimel," and like 20 ppl in section 8 laughed. there isn't anyone i've met who thinks he knows wtf he's doing.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »
does anyone actually know dimel or met him? just curious if he's a totally oblivious blowhard irl or just bad at coaching or handicapped by other elements of our staff/team or what. during tcu 2015 as he was blowing it for us, i actually turned to the press box and flipped him off and yelled, "you rough ridin' suck dimel," and like 20 ppl in section 8 laughed. there isn't anyone i've met who thinks he knows wtf he's doing.

were you embarrassed after doing that?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 29, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »

hahahahahaha. are you aware that no one can intimidate me? and no i wasn't. at all. eff off.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »

http://cjonline.com/stories/092803/cat_dimel.shtml#.WfZDn3Zrxzk

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/Robertson-After-Dimel-disappointment-UH-can-t-2085642.php

Tom
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:19:11 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »

I really don't agree.  With the way our offense has been struggling we need to manufacture possessions anyway we can.  I see, and appreciate, your point that fans would freak out either way.  I just think the smarter play, fans be damned, would have been to try and get our offense one more possession with a minute left and 2 timeouts from midfield.  Seems like it could be relatively possible to get our sure-footed kicker in range at the least.

Calling the time out gives KU another option to extend the half. Not calling the time out gives one, very.low percentage chance to extend the half or score. If you call that time out and KU decides to go for it, they need 14 yards, if you don't they need 49 yards.

Also you're arguing against your own point. You're saying if we call time out, KU punts. If they punt from there it's highly unlikely that were getting the ball near midfield.

Not to belabor this too much but you're misrepresenting my point(s).  I never said we would get the ball at mid field after a punt, in fact I said: "If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback."  The point was don't give them a shot down field, even if it is low percentage.  You hold them on 3rd down.  They have a low percentage of getting that first down (4th and 14), I would trust my defense to make that play.  I did trust them to prevent the touchdown but the risk reward is much worse for us then stopping them and getting another offensive possession.

I guess my point is which do you think has a great probability of success.
1) KU getting 14 yards with 39 seconds left, needing probably 20 yards after that to get into scoring position (35 yard FG). 
or
2) KSU defense holding KU on a 4th down play and preventing a 14 yard play and then a 25 yard play.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »

http://cjonline.com/stories/092803/cat_dimel.shtml#.WfZDn3Zrxzk

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/Robertson-After-Dimel-disappointment-UH-can-t-2085642.php

Tom

thanks, tom. much obliged.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »

hahahahahaha. are you aware that no one can intimidate me? and no i wasn't. at all. eff off.

intimidate you?  you’re a rough ridin' downgrade dude.  your posting is such a car wreck, it’s hard to look away.
but congrats on screaming expletives in public at a 55 year old man who absolutely didn’t hear you.  you’re obviously proud enough of yourself that you chose to share your anecdote here with the world.  we’re all quite impressed, another example of you “effecting change”

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
I have been fine with Dimel throughout most of Snyder 2.0. He's put multiple top 30 offenses on the field during his time here and I can't fault that. However, this year I expected a Top 30 group, but according to the 2 major metrics we're at #44 or at #69 (not counting KU), which simply isn't getting it done considering what we returned. There is a clear disconnect there and its a major reason why we're 4-4.

Of course, you could say the same about the defense, though my expectations weren't quite as high. The metrics had them at #46 and #74, so again quite a bit of disparity between the 2, but still not very good.

Meanwhile Special Teams are at #15 pre KU and sure to go up, probably near the Top 10.

Regardless, both the offense and defense are not good. The offense IMO has provided the most frustration of any unit with 2 of the worst performances of any Snyder 2.0 team this year vs Vandy and TCU. That simply shouldn't have happened this year.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2017, 06:41:01 PM »
I have been fine with Dimel throughout most of Snyder 2.0. He's put multiple top 30 offenses on the field during his time here and I can't fault that. However, this year I expected a Top 30 group, but according to the 2 major metrics we're at #44 or at #69 (not counting KU), which simply isn't getting it done considering what we returned. There is a clear disconnect there and its a major reason why we're 4-4.

Of course, you could say the same about the defense, though my expectations weren't quite as high. The metrics had them at #46 and #74, so again quite a bit of disparity between the 2, but still not very good.

Meanwhile Special Teams are at #15 pre KU and sure to go up, probably near the Top 10.

Regardless, both the offense and defense are not good. The offense IMO has provided the most frustration of any unit with 2 of the worst performances of any Snyder 2.0 team this year vs Vandy and TCU. That simply shouldn't have happened this year.

So, that all makes a lot of sense. But as a high football IQ guy, what do you attribute that to? Certainly, injuries and scheme have hindered us, but even our 2015 Hubener/Cook team managed to be pretty competent offensively. This season just seems so bizarre.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
So, that all makes a lot of sense. But as a high football IQ guy, what do you attribute that to? Certainly, injuries and scheme have hindered us, but even our 2015 Hubener/Cook team managed to be pretty competent offensively. This season just seems so bizarre.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'd say the loss of Johnson and Najvar on the offensive line would be primary, followed by WRs underperforming and QB injuries.

Here are the 2 major metrics that I follow (S&P and FEI, from footballoutsiders.com) during Snyder 2.0. I expected this year to have a similar progression as we had from 2010 to 2011 and so far that simply hasn't happened.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »
Opponents got better?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 29, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »

Not to belabor this too much but you're misrepresenting my point(s).  I never said we would get the ball at mid field after a punt, in fact I said: "If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback."  The point was don't give them a shot down field, even if it is low percentage.  You hold them on 3rd down.  They have a low percentage of getting that first down (4th and 14), I would trust my defense to make that play.  I did trust them to prevent the touchdown but the risk reward is much worse for us then stopping them and getting another offensive possession.

I guess my point is which do you think has a great probability of success.
1) KU getting 14 yards with 39 seconds left, needing probably 20 yards after that to get into scoring position (35 yard FG). 
or
2) KSU defense holding KU on a 4th down play and preventing a 14 yard play and then a 25 yard play.

Oh, I don't think it was very likely they would have gotten the first down, nor do I think it was likely that the coaches would have let Thompson pass us into field goal territory, so why give them the opportunity to try to make that first down?

Offline RickRampus

• goEMAW.com Resident Ovine Specialist
  • Katpak'r
  • don't tell me how to spell my name
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 29, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
dafuq
"Honestly, I'm not even sure who we are trolling anymore."   ksu_MBB, March 8, 2016

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »
just trying to help you reduce the eye rolls around you (or whatever it was somebody else said) :dunno: :ump:

No one said crap. You say that like people are interested in reading you repeatedly ruining threads by doing this. Instead of offering me advice, maybe you can find some self-awareness. I'll let you have the last word. I'm done with this stupid crap, I'd rather continue talking about the cats and not some bum ass, weird rando.