Author Topic: Why can't Oscar recruit quality bigs 6-9 or bigger  (Read 6180 times)

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't Oscar recruit quality bigs 6-9 or bigger
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
KSU has never had much luck with bigs.  This is before most of you remember but Steve Mitchel and Norris Coleman are about the only quality bigs at 6ft 9 on up that I can remember.  Hartman got by with 6ft 5 Darryl Winston, and 6ft  9 Carl Gerlach that were good players.  Kruger had 6 ft 7 Bledsoe who was a decent player.  Don't remember any bigs with Altman, Asbury or Woolridge who stood out although Manny Dies came close.  Beasley was six ft 7 but a great player.  Don't really feel he was a big as much as just an overall great talent.

Right now we have bigs on the bench that might develop.  IE Shadd who will play as a freshman this year and is now 6ft 9, 250 lbs with a 74 inch wing span.  With 6ft 10 All Big 12 Claws and Big 12 All tournament team member Makol Mawien, we are as good with bigs right now as we have been in the last 40 years.  Maybe they can add a few more big guys in the next year or so but best enjoy what we have right now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
One quality big I forgot to mention was Curtis Kelly.  Quality big who provided rim protection, good offense and rebounding. 

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Gipson (only 6'7-6'8) and JHR were both quality bigs.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
One theory...bigs are not central to the oscar Weber system, therefore he doesn't expend as much recruiting capital on a resource that is already overvalued because of limits to market supply? In general, current era Nova excluded, the blue bloods get the quality bigs, with certain programs in which the big is central to the system getting in on some as well (Huggins comes to mind).

Another theory, there are less quality bigs coming out of high school than the past as a result of nobody being trained to play with their back to the basket, at least relative to the way it used to be?

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
Gipson (only 6'7-6'8) and JHR were both quality bigs.
Both of these guys were OK  but I rate them below guys like Mitchell, Norris Coleman and Curtis Kelly.  Right now I personally see Mawiens play at the end of the season slightly better than both of these guys but I would not waste any time defending that opinion. 
Junior and senior version of DJamer at 6 ft 8 should be included the list of quality bigs when he was completely healthy.  Unfortunately, that was not very often. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
Wally Judge was a 5 star mcdonalds All American I would say we recruited that quality big. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
KSU has never had much luck with bigs.  This is before most of you remember but Steve Mitchel and Norris Coleman are about the only quality bigs at 6ft 9 on up that I can remember.  Hartman got by with 6ft 5 Darryl Winston, and 6ft  9 Carl Gerlach that were good players.  Kruger had 6 ft 7 Bledsoe who was a decent player.  Don't remember any bigs with Altman, Asbury or Woolridge who stood out although Manny Dies came close.  Beasley was six ft 7 but a great player.  Don't really feel he was a big as much as just an overall great talent.

Right now we have bigs on the bench that might develop.  IE Shadd who will play as a freshman this year and is now 6ft 9, 250 lbs with a 74 inch wing span.  With 6ft 10 All Big 12 Claws and Big 12 All tournament team member Makol Mawien, we are as good with bigs right now as we have been in the last 40 years.  Maybe they can add a few more big guys in the next year or so but best enjoy what we have right now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Carl Gerlach was 6-11. Larry Williams was 6-9. Mitchell was actually Cotton's recruit.
Altman had McD all-american Daryl Cunningham (great rebounder, defender, offensively limited). Ashbury recruited Shawn Rhodes and the 6-8 Kenny (?) Williams juco kid who was center/PF on his only tourney team. Kruger also had Meier from maybe Haysville.