Author Topic: auburn game  (Read 19907 times)

Offline WarDamnPlainsmen

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: auburn game
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
Texted an EMAW bud several times that I was glad we weren't playing OU or Baylor, otherwise they're breaking in the 3rd stringers by the 4th quarter.

Is this the same Baylor that cakewalked through the big 12 schedule and then lost to UCF by 10 points in the Fiesta Bowl? Or do you think they have improved?

Offline WarDamnPlainsmen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
In this instance, the cliche is true: K-State lost this game more than Auburn won it. 3 missed but very makeable field goals, two absurd fumbles, and TLABL missing an open TD that became an INT - that "amazing SEC defense" wasn't responsible for much of that.

The good news is that these problems on offense aren't all that common (well, except for our woeful kicking), and the liklihood of them occuring often, let alone all in the same game, is extremely low. Auburn got lucky, and capitalized on that luck as good teams do. In the meantime, we saw a significantly better defensive performance than last week. Our offense will recover. If our D continues to play at that level, a 9-3 or even 10-2 season is not outside the realm of possibility.

None of this is meant as a putdown to Auburn. Beating a ranked opponent on the road is tough, and they are to be congratulated.

I saw several TDs dropped by the AU WRs as well. Lot of points left of the field last night. I saw 14 by AU and 16 by KSU. I'm thinking the score should have been more like 34-30ish.

Receivers get overthrown / drop balls all the time. Dropping a wide open pass in the end zone to become an INT is more of the fluke variety. Again, Auburn got lucky and capitalized on it. Nothing wrong with that.

I heard this about 10 times last year. Nice to see the luck is still flowing.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
auburn didn't get lucky. we are just much worse than a lot of us thought. our last eight quarters of football should tell you that.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
Texted an EMAW bud several times that I was glad we weren't playing OU or Baylor, otherwise they're breaking in the 3rd stringers by the 4th quarter.

Is this the same Baylor that cakewalked through the big 12 schedule and then lost to UCF by 10 points in the Fiesta Bowl? Or do you think they have improved?

I know you're not a Bama fan, but shouldn't you, you know, being an SEC school fan (and thus by virtue of that know everything there is to know about football) understand that a month to prep for a bowl is, you know, a long time? 

I mean, I bet you thought with a month to prep for FSU, that Auburn was going to roll through them like a hot knife, and while it was a good game.   The SEC school still lost to the ACC team in the natty.   

Offline WarDamnPlainsmen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »

I know you're not a Bama fan, but shouldn't you, you know, being an SEC school fan (and thus by virtue of that know everything there is to know about football) understand that a month to prep for a bowl is, you know, a long time? 

I mean, I bet you thought with a month to prep for FSU, that Auburn was going to roll through them like a hot knife, and while it was a good game.   The SEC school still lost to the ACC team in the natty.   

FSU sleep walked through their ACC schedule and come across Auburn, a team that had about 6 narrow escapes for victories in the SEC. It took FSU a kickoff return in the 4th, and another TD with 13 seconds left in the game to beat us. All that says is the SEC>>ACC, and that FSU can play with the big boys too.

But then again, you are comparing Baylors loss to UCF with Auburns loss to FSU... so why am I even arguing with someone with a limited mental capacity? Auburn would crush Baylor. Don't let how AU played against K-State make you think Auburn is a bad team. We looked even worse against Mississippi State last year in game 3 (and that was at home). I think surviving this game against KSU will be huge for helping our team grow and have a shot at winning the West again.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
That doesn't say SEC >>> ACC at all dumb dumb

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
Why are you so angry?   I mean, I bet Bama didn't expect to be crushed by the Utah Utes in the Sugar Bowl a few years back did they?   It happens, any knowledgeable fan of college football knows that week-to-week in season and the bowls are sometimes two different things entirely.

But the simple fact remains, when we've played Baylor and OU the last two years who have similar athletes to Auburn on offense, they don't drop passes, they're like a machine.

We leave those kinds of points on the field last night and both teams would have crushed K-State by 4 TD's easy.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
Coach Gill's keys to victory:

1. Block
2. Tackle
3. Catch
4. Throw

I think we did an ok job of executing 1, 2, and 4, but Lockett couldn't catch that ball in the endzone, and that is why we lost the game.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Why are you so angry?   I mean, I bet Bama didn't expect to be crushed by the Utah Utes in the Sugar Bowl a few years back did they?   It happens, any knowledgeable fan of college football knows that week-to-week in season and the bowls are sometimes two different things entirely.

But the simple fact remains, when we've played Baylor and OU the last two years who have similar athletes to Auburn on offense, they don't drop passes, they're like a machine.

We leave those kinds of points on the field last night and both teams would have crushed K-State by 4 TD's easy.

you act like oklahoma and baylor are immune to having off games. did you catch any of the oklahoma/texas game last year? or the baylor/oklahoma state game?

and incidentally, both texas and oklahoma state who blew out the top 2 teams in the big 12 last season were soundly beaten by SEC teams.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »

you act like oklahoma and baylor are immune to having off games. did you catch any of the oklahoma/texas game last year? or the baylor/oklahoma state game?

and incidentally, both texas and oklahoma state who blew out the top 2 teams in the big 12 last season were soundly beaten by SEC teams.

Soundly beaten?   I watched the Cotton Bowl and that game went deep into the fourth quarter.   Plus, don't get me started on how the bottom feeders in the SEC never rise up and beat any of the good teams in the SEC anymore.  It's an absolute feast for the top SEC teams against the bottom of the conference. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »

In the Big 12, you have to face teams with a variety of offensive philosophies week to week. This year, three teams are terrible, so it won't be as bad as it's been in the past, but most years, there are 1 or 2 god awful teams and everyone else is solid to great. This guarantees a long stretch of games against teams that can score a lot of points. You can't even be a little off your game unless it happens to come against a team like KU or you won't be winning. That is why nobody has run the table in the league since it went to 10 teams.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »

In the Big 12, you have to face teams with a variety of offensive philosophies week to week. This year, three teams are terrible, so it won't be as bad as it's been in the past, but most years, there are 1 or 2 god awful teams and everyone else is solid to great. This guarantees a long stretch of games against teams that can score a lot of points. You can't even be a little off your game unless it happens to come against a team like KU or you won't be winning. That is why nobody has run the table in the league since it went to 10 teams.

are you implying that there aren't a variety of offensive philosophies in the SEC?

and while the SEC was busy winning 7 national championships in a row, 5 of the teams were unable to get through conference play unscathed. what does that tell you about the depth and quality of the SEC? good enough to blow out ohio state, but not good enough to get by arkansas, ole miss, and kentucky. in 2011, lsu was good enough to hammer the pac-12 and big east champions... but not good enough to score a point in the title game against alabama.

i don't think the big 12 is a bad conference, but it's not nearly as good as the SEC right now by whatever measure you want to judge by.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »

are you implying that there aren't a variety of offensive philosophies in the SEC?

and while the SEC was busy winning 7 national championships in a row, 5 of the teams were unable to get through conference play unscathed. what does that tell you about the depth and quality of the SEC? good enough to blow out ohio state, but not good enough to get by arkansas, ole miss, and kentucky. in 2011, lsu was good enough to hammer the pac-12 and big east champions... but not good enough to score a point in the title game against alabama.

i don't think the big 12 is a bad conference, but it's not nearly as good as the SEC right now by whatever measure you want to judge by.

It tells me that when you still get to play for the championship despite not coming out of your regular season unscathed, then you are probably going to win a lot more championships than other conferences that aren't guaranteed a spot in the game. Most of the teams in your conference get easy games against schools like Mississippi State, Tennessee, Florida, and Kentucky to break up your schedule. Plus, you only have to play 8 conference games total. That gives you a much easier schedule than you would have in a smaller conference where you have to play every school. As a fan of a former Big 12 North team, I can attest.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »

It tells me that when you still get to play for the championship despite not coming out of your regular season unscathed, then you are probably going to win a lot more championships than other conferences that aren't guaranteed a spot in the game.

guaranteed a spot in the game? are you referring to the SEC in the BCS era?

the only power 6 (AQ) conference team that went undefeated in the regular season (and then won their bowl game) and was denied a chance at playing for the national championship was in the SEC. it was auburn, 2004.

the SEC wasn't guaranteed anything. if anything the BCS was an unfavorable system to the SEC. for several years while other conferences weren't playing conference championship games, the SEC often had their 2 best teams duking it out... and if the lesser ranked team won, it would eliminate the conference from the title game while other top teams sat at home. furthermore, if the BCS selected the 8 (and then later 10) best teams for their games, the SEC would have routinely placed more than 2 teams in the games and brought in more money for the conference. however, automatic bids to teams that played far inferior schedules and the limit of 2 teams per conference prevented that from happening.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
Oh man this discussion is so interesting.  Let's definitely continue having it.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »

this is a pretty typical response when the evidence is presented to show how dominant the SEC is.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »

this is a pretty typical response when the evidence is presented to show how dominant the SEC is.

Good posters were asked to stick around.  Why are you still here?
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

Good posters were asked to stick around.  Why are you still here?

why don't you address the points i made? is it because you know you really don't have a leg to stand on?

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
I don't get the bitterness here.  Facts are facts.

Kansas State
2004 Fiesta Bowl - Loss to OSU 35 - 28
2008 Orange Bowl - Win over VaTech 24 - 21.  Good game, good effort.  Nice showing for the state!
2013 Fiesta Bowl - Loss to the Ducks 35 - 17

Auburn
2005 Sugar Bowl - Won 16 -13 over VaTech (undefeated team from the SEC didn't get in the champ game, instead a shitty Big XII team got rough ridin' destroyed by USC)
2011  WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP over the fightin' Phil Knights
2013 Lost to a shitty FSU team from the ACC :(  Bama lost to a shitty team from the BigXII (notice a trend when Bama plays in a non championship BCS game?) and the BigXII revels in it like they won it all  :excited:

You guys are 0-2 in big games and we're 2-1, with a natty and another appearance.

Big XII had 12 wins and 16 losses in the BCS era.  OU won a championship, but lost three!?!  Texas got you one with a guy that is right there with Jameis in terms of IQ.  Nebraska made it and got destroyed by Miami.  At least we had an exciting game vs FSU.  Hold on, that's this board's moral victory stuff working it's way into me  :'bye cruel world:

SEC mumped some skulls and went 17-10.  9 of those wins were for championships.  1 of the losses was LSU vs Bama.

Quit acting like your conference is more than it is.  If it wasn't for OU (which is nothing more than an SEC coordinator running rampant in your conference and did a little for KSU beforehand) and Texas, you're basically the Mountain West.  At least the SEC can say that we've had nearly half of our league win a national championship in the last 16 years.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:53:00 PM by The_Wippuh »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
I don't get the bitterness here.  Facts are facts.

Kansas State
2004 Fiesta Bowl - Loss to OSU 35 - 28
2008 Orange Bowl :tsc: :tsc: :tsc: - Win over VaTech 24 - 21.  Good game, good effort.  Nice showing for the state!
2013 Fiesta Bowl - Loss to the Ducks 35 - 17

Auburn
2005 Sugar Bowl - Won 16 -13 over VaTech (undefeated team from the SEC didn't get in the champ game, instead a shitty Big XII team got rough ridin' destroyed by USC)
2011  WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP over the fightin' Phil Knights
2013 Lost to a shitty FSU team from the ACC :(  Bama lost to a shitty team from the BigXII (notice a trend when Bama plays in a non championship BCS game?) and the BigXII revels in it like they won it all  :excited:

You guys are 0-2 in big games and we're 2-1, with a natty and another appearance.

Big XII had 12 wins and 16 losses in the BCS era.  OU won a championship, but lost three!?!  Texas got you one with a guy that is right there with Jameis in terms of IQ.  Nebraska made it and got destroyed by Miami.  At least we had an exciting game vs FSU.  Hold on, that's this board's moral victory stuff working it's way into me  :'bye cruel world:

SEC mumped some skulls and went 17-10.  9 of those wins were for championships.  1 of the losses was LSU vs Bama.

Quit acting like your conference is more than it is.  If it wasn't for OU (which is nothing more than an SEC coordinator running rampant in your conference) and Texas, you're basically the Mountain West.  At least the SEC can say that we've had nearly half of our league win a national championship in the last 16 years.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
Does it really count if you play Notre Dame in a BCS bowl game?

K-State didn't beat Virginia Tech, ku did.   That tells you all you need to know about the ACC (except FSU the last year or so), zero credit given for beating an ACC school in a BCS bowl.

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »

That KU thing was on purpose  :peek:

It does sort of give me the warm fuzzies to the see the national hate of ND  :cheers:  Even as an Auburn fan, I loved watching 'Bama destroy them.

At the SEC level, there is a complete conference hatred of Tennessee, but they've been so bad for so long that it's starting to fade.  A&M is quickly filling that void now.

And Mizz only did well because they play in the East.  The East sucks, the West is pretty harsh.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

K-State didn't beat Virginia Tech, ku did.   That tells you all you need to know about the ACC (except FSU the last year or so), zero credit given for beating an ACC school in a BCS bowl.

that notre dame team might not have been that great, but they played a pretty good schedule and were undefeated with it.

of course what they didn't do was play an SEC schedule.

alabama showed that they would have been just another 8-4 team in the SEC.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »

That KU thing was on purpose  :peek:

It does sort of give me the warm fuzzies to the see the national hate of ND  :cheers:  Even as an Auburn fan, I loved watching 'Bama destroy them.

At the SEC level, there is a complete conference hatred of Tennessee, but they've been so bad for so long that it's starting to fade.  A&M is quickly filling that void now.

And Mizz only did well because they play in the East.  The East sucks, the West is pretty harsh.
hmm, what made UTenn a target.  Also, A&M is very, very weird.  Their strange ways and traditions are kinda fascinating at first but the creepiness quickly ruins it.  Pretty much any remotely cool A&M fan went there because they couldn't get into UT.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
Umm . . . ND had some decent wins, but they also played at least 5 games against horrible teams.   You can't brag on an SEC team beating OU, when ND beat them as well.

Edit:  ND had two fairly high quality wins OU (who lost 3 games) and Stanford (who lost 2).  Otherwise it was all games against teams who hovered around .500 or were flat out awful, five games were against awful teams.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:15:45 PM by sonofdaxjones »