Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355958 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Get her runnin' and I'll bring the rock. :driving:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:00:12 AM by slackcat »

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Get her runnin' and I'll bring the rock. :driving:

It's going to take a lot more than a little bit of rock to fix that driveway.
@mikec2w

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Good grief
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
That’s actual a canal, not a driveway.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
My son took some pix of the silo on the home place with his drone yesterday.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That is awesome Tom, he must have a good drone because those pictures are really crisp.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
are there any fish in those ponds, Tom?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
So that pix is looking east.  The pond immediately east of the silo we just stocked 2 years ago.  The wife and I caught  and released some small bass and catfish last fall so I think that will be a good fishing hole in the future.

The pond to northeast is not on our farm, but owner has shared pix of some unreal fish he has pulled out of there.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That's awesome.  Make sure you have some bait fish in there for them to eat.  You must be getting some rain in your area.  The pic makes it look like your grass is still fairly green and the ponds look full and clear.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That's awesome.  Make sure you have some bait fish in there for them to eat.  You must be getting some rain in your area.  The pic makes it look like your grass is still fairly green and the ponds look full and clear.

https://www.wallacefishfarmks.com/

This is the guy who has stocked all of our ponds with good results. He did a spring stocking with crawdads,  fingerlings, blue gill I think.  Came back in the fall with bass and cat.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
We're actually quite behind on rain.  A couple more good rains might make a bean crop.  Corn is made and not great.  At least we have some ears.  Cousin put his up for silage.

Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Tom, great farming knowledge drops ITT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Schreds

Btw, you're correct on clearness of the ponds and their water level.  The 2 ponds in the pix are actually quarry ponds after reclamation.  Dad got into rock farming  30 years ago, and this is the by product.

I am always impressed at what you all pick up on in my pix.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Job well done.  They are great looking ponds.  It's always so much fun fishing a clear, healthy farm pond.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
We're actually quite behind on rain. 

50+ inches, wow.  i didn't know there was anywhere in kansas that got that much.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
we've probably gotten 50+ inches in the last 24 hours in omaha. it's like the biblical flood from the bible except with good drainage so nobody drowns or gets super wet.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
We're actually quite behind on rain. 

50+ inches, wow.  i didn't know there was anywhere in kansas that got that much.
That's last 10 year average which includes some wet years.  I think a longer view would be 36 in / year.

Tom

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i lived in manhattan, ks the one year we got tons of rain and the place was flooded everywhere but if i'm being honest with you, i had a great time that summer

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
i lived in manhattan, ks the one year we got tons of rain and the place was flooded everywhere but if i'm being honest with you, i had a great time that summer

That was a super fun summer in MHK except if you lived in some place that got flooded

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I remember stacking up sandbags as high as I was tall to help prevent the Noah’s ark flood from taking my house away.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i always call it "the summer of rain" when i tell stories from that summer and immediately everyone knows exactly when i am referring to

pretty amazing and a very special moment in mhk history so i commissioned my grandmother to quilt a mhk "summer of rain" memorial quilt and matching vest.  the quilt's motto is "you can wash away our ground soil but nothing can wash away our pride of mhk."    she didn't know how to quilt and never made them for me so i guess you can say what you want but i consider them both to be in the design phase.  hopefully i can get them pulled together (pun) soon.  one surprising fact about the quilt design is that the overarching color scheme does not incorporate purple.  people act like everything in mhk needs to be purple.  don't tell a mhk indian that though because their colors don't bleed.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
I call MHK summer of 2006 the Summer of Rain.  Purple Rain that is.  Prince.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
That’s actual a canal, not a driveway.

It is now

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
We're actually quite behind on rain.  A couple more good rains might make a bean crop.  Corn is made and not great.  At least we have some ears.  Cousin put his up for silage.

Tom

Better than a lot of corn around SEK, 15 mi. between feast and famine when it came to rainfall this year. 

Good luck with harvest and post a video when you get the crusher running.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what's the first non-rock item you're going to run through the crusher? lots of good options out there imo.