Author Topic: Great article on SEC/ESPN bias  (Read 5444 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Great article on SEC/ESPN bias
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
Have we talked about how much scheduling Mississippi State might suck now down the road?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »
the SEC is further (farther?) ahead of any other conference than usual, this year

I don't agree with that at all, as a matter of fact I think the gap is as small as its ever been. They are top heavy just like the Bigs and the Pac.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
Have we talked about how much scheduling Mississippi State might suck now down the road?

I'd rather back out of the twitter contract, schedule East Popcorn STate, and stay eligible for the college football playoff. Since we're KState, we'd have to go undefeated but with OU and Texas sucking its quite a bit of an easier road now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »

It might not suck, too. :jerk:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »

I'm relieved that they might actually be good.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

I'd think that the odds are decent that by the time that game rolls around we would have expanded to an 8 team playoff with auto bids for the 5 conference champions.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »

I'd think that the odds are decent that by the time that game rolls around we would have expanded to an 8 team playoff with auto bids for the 5 conference champions.

big time ooc games will be so much more fun when this happens.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »

And Mullen will be long gone. Hell he will probably be in Florida next year.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »

big time ooc games will be so much more fun when this happens.

yes to both of these things
emaw

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever heard of a contract.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
How far will Ole' Miss or Auburn fall after today's loss?  Probably not far at all.

Oh, what if the unthinkable happens?  What if Arkansas beats Miss. St. today?  How far will a terrible Arkansas jump and how far will Miss. St. fall?

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
I think you have to admit that the allegations in the article are overblown.  The one solid point it does make, however, is with respect to the case study that is Texas A&M this year. 

A&M started out barely in the top 25 and basically took South Carolina's spot around number 6 after trouncing them to open the season.  In a situation like that at the beginning of the season you have to think it was either because SC was overrated or because A&M was underrated.  Well it seems like the voters didn't even think about the former scenario (which has actually proven to be the case).  Subsequently, every SEC West team that beat A&M basically got credit for slaying a juggernaut and jumped in the polls as a result (note, by the way, that each of the SEC West teams that beat A&M are now in the Top 10).  Heck, despite Kentucky giving Miss. St. a better game than A&M, all you hear is about the strength of the teams that beat A&M, not about how weak A&M is.

Although the SEC West does get the benefit of never having to hear the word "overrated" for really any of its teams, a lot of this "bias" does come down to scheduling.  The Big 12 (and other conferences) should get with the times and put their crap OOC games later in the season.

And neither Texas A&M nor South Carolina are ranked right now. Amazing, isn't it? The more data you get, the better the rankings are! Oklahoma State was in the top 15 at one point this season, mainly on the strength of playing Florida State close. Is that Big 12 bias at work? Or once OKSt lost a few games and we saw NC State, Louisville, Clemson, and Notre Dame also play Florida State down to the wire were people just able to make better judgments about the strength of Oklahoma State?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
I think you have to admit that the allegations in the article are overblown.  The one solid point it does make, however, is with respect to the case study that is Texas A&M this year. 

A&M started out barely in the top 25 and basically took South Carolina's spot around number 6 after trouncing them to open the season.  In a situation like that at the beginning of the season you have to think it was either because SC was overrated or because A&M was underrated.  Well it seems like the voters didn't even think about the former scenario (which has actually proven to be the case).  Subsequently, every SEC West team that beat A&M basically got credit for slaying a juggernaut and jumped in the polls as a result (note, by the way, that each of the SEC West teams that beat A&M are now in the Top 10).  Heck, despite Kentucky giving Miss. St. a better game than A&M, all you hear is about the strength of the teams that beat A&M, not about how weak A&M is.

Although the SEC West does get the benefit of never having to hear the word "overrated" for really any of its teams, a lot of this "bias" does come down to scheduling.  The Big 12 (and other conferences) should get with the times and put their crap OOC games later in the season.

And neither Texas A&M nor South Carolina are ranked right now. Amazing, isn't it? The more data you get, the better the rankings are! Oklahoma State was in the top 15 at one point this season, mainly on the strength of playing Florida State close. Is that Big 12 bias at work? Or once OKSt lost a few games and we saw NC State, Louisville, Clemson, and Notre Dame also play Florida State down to the wire were people just able to make better judgments about the strength of Oklahoma State?

IIRC it didn't take OSU getting piss pounded into oblivion 3 weeks in a row before they finally dropped out of the top 25.  And OSU hasn't continued to receive top 25 votes.  But otherwise I think you make a valid comparison.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

IIRC it didn't take OSU getting piss pounded into oblivion 3 weeks in a row before they finally dropped out of the top 25.  And OSU hasn't continued to receive top 25 votes.  But otherwise I think you make a valid comparison.

OSU also lost a starting QB. So I don't think it is a valid comparison.