Author Topic: With all of this trash talk on CSU, Do we still deserve to be a P5 school?  (Read 4381 times)

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Hear me out,

I've been reading a lot of trash talk on CSU on this site and how they're not deserving of a slot in a P5 conference.  If the rolls were reversed, would we deserve a spot in a P5 conference?   It's not like we ran the gamut for a number of years and were asked into a P5 conference (Let's not forget, we didn't even know how to spell W-I-N until Snyder came along.)  Comparatively, our schools are very similar, except we have the fortune of "sneaking" into a P5 conference unknowingly all the way back in 1913 when we joined the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MVIAA) --> Big Eight --> Big XII.  I think with the success and growth of the CSU campus and football program nowadays, I'd be proud to welcome them into the BigXII.  Hell, if the Big XII had broken up a couple of years ago, we would've been very welcome in the Mountain West.  Seriously, before TCU left that conference, the MWC was in serious talks for an automatic BCS bowl berth.

Road trips out to Colorado are always fun and I haven't been back there to watch football since CU left the conference (I'm still miffed at that).  If I can't get CU, I'll go and take their more Aggie relative, CSU, any day.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Mike from Ft. Collins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Great post bshea.  Some other thoughts. 

Manhattan to KC = 120 miles
Fort Collins to Denver = 60 miles

Fact:  Denver has more alumni from CSU than CU.  Half of CU's students are rich kids from out of state that go back wherever they're from.  CSU's student body is made up of about 75% Coloradoans.

KC metro Population = 2.1 million
Denver metro Population = 2.7 million

Kansas Population = 2.9 million (2 P5 schools)
Colorado Population = 5.4 million (1 P5 school)

Kansas Population Growth last 5 years = 58,000
Colorado Population Growth last 5 years = 427,000

Kansas State University = 24,000 students
Colorado State University = 32,000 students

Our new $240 million football stadium will have a capacity of 41,000 and is easily expandable to the mid-50s. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Time to measure endowments.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OF COURSE WE DON'T

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Time to measure endowments.

We can also look at academic rankings.  I can see how my post might've been interpreted, but my intention was only to show that if Kansas can support two P5 programs, then Colorado certainly can as well.  I do think CSU and KSU being in the same athletic conference would be mutually beneficial.

The Big Train

Is there a cliff notes edition of TT

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
What's the tv sitch in Colorado?  Can you bring anything to the the table network wise? 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Colorado is a very boring and ugly state.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
What's the tv sitch in Colorado?  Can you bring anything to the the table network wise?

Here are some quotes I pulled from the CSU message board awhile back.  I'm not sure I completely understand the first one, but maybe you do; "With cable or satellite subscriptions compared to other states something like 45%. pretty good but also a lot of potential to grow and create unrealized revenue."

and another:

"But what I understand is that the viewership of CSU games in the Denver market is much less important to the Big 12 than whether than can get the new Big 12 network (that they hope to establish) into the cable packages in the Denver area. If CSU helps the Big 12 accomplish that, that's all they care about. Doesn't matter, in the end, if viewers watch CSU games or Oklahoma games or whoever on the network. The key is that they will want the Big 12 network in what is currently the #17 and fastest growing media market in the country. "

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Colorado is a very boring and ugly state.

True, but only the parts that border Kansas and Oklahoma.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State: Over 40,000 Season Ticket Holders

CSU:  10,000 Season Ticket Holders

FY 2015 Cash Contributions to Athletics:

K-State:  $34 million in cash and cash equivalents (stocks). 

CSU:  $13 million (not sure if all cash or promise to give)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State:  Over $200 million in new and renovated facilities over the last 4 years, only $80 million financed with bonds, the rest paid for with cash contributions and athletic department revenue.    Specific to K-State's football facilities:   $170 million in improvements in the last 4 years and only $50 to $60 million financed with bonds, the remainder paid for with cash contributions and athletic department revenues.   

CSU:   All $220 million dollars of the stadium was financed with bonds, to be offset by future donations and premium amenities sales.   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So at the end of the day, specific to athletics.   From a financial perspective, particularly from a ticket sales and private contributions perspective.   K-State blows CSU out of the water.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
So at the end of the day, specific to athletics.   From a financial perspective, particularly from a ticket sales and private contributions perspective.   K-State blows CSU out of the water.

:kstategrad:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
I can't imagine how bad it feels to not be a KSU CAT

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
I can't imagine how bad it feels to not be a KSU CAT

:thumbs:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
10k season ticket holders?  Even their own fans don't want to watch them play football :-(

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
but but but I though CSU had tons of students and alum that were all about that Rams pigskin life?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
They are basically Pitt State

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Pitt state wins championships
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
ZAP!

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Plus, we whipped their ass in their house with Wooley when they had Norris Cole.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
but but but I though CSU had tons of students and alum that were all about that Rams pigskin life?

They can't put down the doobie and drive the 60 miles from Denver to Ft Collins for games.  :frown:

Offline kcnut

• The CEO of the Brad Essex Report and cont. writer for red state I also hate oklahoma so very much.
  • Combo-Fan
  • hail to the king.
    • View Profile
    • The Brad Essex Report
Yes till the end of time. or until the pac ten wants us.
LHC Bill Snyder is as american as you can get.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

They can't put down the doobie and drive the 60 miles from Denver to Ft Collins for games.  :frown:
Can you blame them?  Who the hell wants to risk their lives on the gauntlet that is I25 just to watch some 2nd rate athletic event?