Author Topic: Great article on SEC/ESPN bias  (Read 5429 times)

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Great article on SEC/ESPN bias
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Great article on SEC/ESPN bias
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
really great article, bshea85! appreciate you posting that on this site for the first time!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »
Kick their ass, Jordan Brochette!  :lynchmob:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
man he brings some zeal on twitter

https://twitter.com/jordanburchette/with_replies

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
Jordan Burchette @jordanburchette  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
Way to live up to your phonetic name, @ESPN_Colin. You could have just asked me out in person, you know.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
Jordan Burchette @jordanburchette  ·  11h
@bnokj I don't know what you're talking about. Wait, according to hundreds of cousin-plunging $EC fans, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
really great article, bshea85! appreciate you posting that on this site for the first time!

Dammit, did I repost something? :whistle1:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
I'm sure 'bias will enjoy the article, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed it as well.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
it completely ignores the abundance of positive nonconference results.

it completely ignores the computers which favor the SEC even more than the committee.

if the ap voters are biased, and the coaches are biased, and the committee is biased, and the computers are biased... maybe it just happens to be reality?

it isn't that the SEC is leaps and bounds better than every other conference, but the quality of teams and the depth is unmatched. the big 12 is pretty deep this season, but the SEC proved pretty handily that the SEC is better.

but yeah, great article, lol. keep the head in the sand.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
has it been posted anywhere that the aggieville creepster is throwing his hat in the ESPN/SEC bias article party?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
has it been posted anywhere that the aggieville creepster is throwing his hat in the ESPN/SEC bias article party?
On Nov. 1 in Morgantown, W.Va., something so shocking, so disturbing, so un-ESPN-like will take place that it's hard to explain how it will occur. ESPN's College Gameday crew will cover a Big 12 Conference game for the first time this year.

That's right, prior to Week 10 of the season, ESPN had not visited a Big 12 campus. It hadn't visited a Big Ten campus, either, but I think we can all agree that the Big Ten isn't exactly having a stellar year in football. It's lost so many battles this year that France is making fun of the Big Ten.

It had gone to Dallas to open the season because defending national champion Florida State was playing there against -- This wasn't really important to the selection of the FSU game for "College Gameday" -- Oklahoma State of the Big 12.

Leading up to the cast heading to the mountains of West Virginia, College Gameday had covered four SEC games, three games featuring Florida State, and the best early season non-conference matchup of the season of Michigan State at Oregon, which was followed by a stop in Fargo, N.D., to give three-time FCS champion North Dakota State a much-deserved tip of the cap.

Since that week three stop in North Dakota, the College Gameday set visited over the next seven weeks the states of Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana and West Virginia.

Nice job, ESPN, which apparently now stands for the Everything Southern Programming Network.

Honestly, ESPN is a business, so it can take its set anywhere it pleases. ESPN now operates the SEC Network and is the primary rights holder for ACC football games, so network executives probably see promoting their financial interests as more important than fairness to other conferences and their fans, which are beginning to abandon ESPN as a trusted source for their college football news.

According to recent numbers, viewership of the mighty ESPN College Gameday show is down 10 percent this year. It's their business to build ... or ruin.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
I'm sure 'bias will enjoy the article, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed it as well.

DNR, actually :surprised:

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
it completely ignores the abundance of positive nonconference results.

it completely ignores the computers which favor the SEC even more than the committee.

if the ap voters are biased, and the coaches are biased, and the committee is biased, and the computers are biased... maybe it just happens to be reality?

it isn't that the SEC is leaps and bounds better than every other conference, but the quality of teams and the depth is unmatched. the big 12 is pretty deep this season, but the SEC proved pretty handily that the SEC is better.

but yeah, great article, lol. keep the head in the sand.
there you go with that raging insecurity again. You need help guy  :frown:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
typical butthurt article, but his twitter IS very enjoyable.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
I don't have a problem with Mississippi/Bama/Auburn/Miss St.  People ranking Georgia really high is the sign of bias as they haven't earned it and lost to a very average team.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »
So he starts his ESPN/SEC bias article by using Gameday locations? They've been to the SEC 4 times in 10 shows this year.  In 2008 the Big12 hosted 5 times in an 8 week span.  Was ESPN biased for the Big12 then with their traveling circus show?  I don't care if you believe in the bias or not, but what a dumb way to start an article.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:08:25 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
So he starts his ESPN/SEC bias article by using Gameday locations? They've been to the SEC 4 times in 10 shows this year.  In 2008 the Big12 hosted 5 times in an 8 week span.  Was ESPN biased for the Big12 then with their traveling circus show?  I don't care if you believe in the bias or not, but what a dumb way to start an article.

Your point is well taken but it is worth noting that in 2008 ESPN didn't control the SEC rights anywhere close to what they do now but they did have exclusive control of tier 1 & 2 Big 12 media rights. FOX only had tier 3 rights to the Big 12 & the SEC controlled their own tier 3 rights.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »

Your point is well taken but it is worth noting that in 2008 ESPN didn't control the SEC rights anywhere close to what they do now but they did have exclusive control of tier 1 & 2 Big 12 media rights. FOX only had tier 3 rights to the Big 12 & the SEC controlled their own tier 3 rights.

Good point.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »

Good point.

You're right though, no one talked about ESPN's financial interests in pumping up the Big 12.

I do have an issue with the seeming financial conflict of interest with ESPN and the SEC but that has nothing to do with how analysts view these games. The conflict of interest comes into play with how they select their national and regional broadcasts. The SEC problem with their writers and on-air talent has much more to do with confirmation biases.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
The Pac 12 and Big 10 are dog crap. ACC has a team. Big 12 can't go toe to toe with the SEC. As much as ESPN slobs their knob they have every right to.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
I think you have to admit that the allegations in the article are overblown.  The one solid point it does make, however, is with respect to the case study that is Texas A&M this year. 

A&M started out barely in the top 25 and basically took South Carolina's spot around number 6 after trouncing them to open the season.  In a situation like that at the beginning of the season you have to think it was either because SC was overrated or because A&M was underrated.  Well it seems like the voters didn't even think about the former scenario (which has actually proven to be the case).  Subsequently, every SEC West team that beat A&M basically got credit for slaying a juggernaut and jumped in the polls as a result (note, by the way, that each of the SEC West teams that beat A&M are now in the Top 10).  Heck, despite Kentucky giving Miss. St. a better game than A&M, all you hear is about the strength of the teams that beat A&M, not about how weak A&M is.

Although the SEC West does get the benefit of never having to hear the word "overrated" for really any of its teams, a lot of this "bias" does come down to scheduling.  The Big 12 (and other conferences) should get with the times and put their crap OOC games later in the season.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
The NCAA should handle all OOC scheduling

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
i just don't really feel like complaining when the SEC has proven they're the best conference. do they get some unfair benefits from that in terms of overrating some of their teams? sure, but that's going to happen when your league is viewed correctly as the best. for eff's sake, they've won 10 out of the last 11 cotton bowls. the big 12 has no room to talk.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
the SEC is further (farther?) ahead of any other conference than usual, this year