Author Topic: Glasses of Tears  (Read 2966 times)

Online WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Glasses of Tears
« on: November 14, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
I would be forever grateful if someone compiled a nice summary of meltdown comments from ISU, OU, and UT message boards.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Glasses of Tears
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »
I would also like to see a gems from KU's game thread.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
You are also welcome to be the change you wish to see in the world, friend!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
I would be forever grateful if someone compiled a nice summary of meltdown comments from ISU, OU, and UT message boards.
From Surly Horns:

So I shut it off in the 4th. But I’m reading the make a wish kid in Kansas caught the 2 point.  The kid who played cello for the local church and never saw football was able to suit you for one game as his last wish and caught the winning catch snapping a streak dating back to W bush. 

eff this entire organization
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 08:08:20 PM »
From Surly Horns:

So I shut it off in the 4th. But I’m reading the make a wish kid in Kansas caught the 2 point.  The kid who played cello for the local church and never saw football was able to suit you for one game as his last wish and caught the winning catch snapping a streak dating back to W bush. 

eff this entire organization

:lol:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
OK I lack Dlew skills, plus I don't have the stamina to sift thru 2500 posts in the game thread at Cyclone Fanatics.  Cherry picked the best comment on each page.

Post game thoughts working backwards in game thread:
This season was the most anticipated season in school history and we've got nothing to show for it. Disappointing but it's just a very Iowa State thing to happen. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. Everything is so hard for this program it seems. I will always be glad for where Campbell and co. have gotten this team, but it just feels like we'll never take that next step.

I am looking forward to next season only because we won't have sky-high expectations. Our expectations will be a bowl game and anything more than that will be great. It sucks to say but this team failed every goal we set out to accomplish. Beat Iowa? Failed. Win 10 games? Not happening. Get back to Arlington? Not happening. NY6 bowl? Nope. I mean right now, we're fighting for a Liberty Bowl berth. I am just super frustrated.

Holy **** I’m drunk

This football season reminds me of some of the basketball seasons under Hoiberg - We'd get up and beat the good teams, but not show up for the ****** teams.

Observations from today:
* Despite the failure to meet our expectations, Matt Campbell and his team are still one of the best things to happen to Iowa State since Johnny Orr.
• Oklahoma and Texas are 0-4 against ISU, Baylor and OSU. That is extremely good news. I say every victory by the "Big 3" over OuT is worth $1 million a year per team in the Big 12 after they leave to the SEC in addition to what they would have received.

If I were McDonald, Hall, Kolar or Rose you wouldn't catch me within a million miles of whatever godforsaken 2nd rate bowl town we're playing in.

As a fan I refuse to watch them all end their careers in an ice storm in Memphis against Air Force anyways. Seneca Wallace getting the team to #7 then getting destroyed on thst pathetic blue field was bad enough, this will be far worse.

Can almost guarantee we win in Norman next week. Not joking either because that’s exactly what this team would do. 28-23 we win. Calling it.
Nobody would be surprised. We are good at winning games when nothing is riding on it. It'd be a moral victory at best, does nothing to help us this year, or what this year should have been.

Give me taking care of business against 2 conference bottom feeders in TT and WVU, and get DESTOYED by OU 10x over.

Only one question to ask, “Coach tough game today. After a big win at home, you hit the road to play an undermanned team with a conf. Champ game well on the table. Why does the game start as if the team preferred not to even be there?”

I mean Christ. Come out and lay the wood to someone! Instead you’re no better than kstate, or tech. You are what your record says and it says mediocre. How disappointing. Should have called 3 straight timeouts in the first quarter and questioned dudes desire cuz it was clearly missing.

I'm honestly embarrassed of our fans more than our team. We've gotten soft, entitled, lost our humor and just sad badlands to be associated with.

There's ppl on here acting like this is the end of out hopes and calling Campbell out.

That ain't me.

All in the matter of just a short few hours
lost the big12 title game
probably going to finish with 7 wins
end up at a crappy bowl
lost any little credibility we had with the media.
everyone is freaking out and pissed off.

none of the above was even on my mind at lunch. Great job today guys.
maybe next time.

Someone find the thread where folks said to put away the ISU nut cups, this team is different. LOL

Trust the Process! Sick of this BS....

Even if we make a toilet bowl like the one right here at NRG, I will probably be better off going to a strip club than watching this crap. CMC need to quit this loyalty crap and fire Manning. Speaking of loyalty, Manning left when it suited him but after he failed in Indianapolis he came back. So screw loyalty. Manning is worse than the guy at Kstate that was Rhoads OC.

Remember. You're alive in one of the most prosperous countries the world has ever known. ISU is having its most successful run in FB history.

This outcome sucked. but stay going on the rough side of the mt. Stop crying. Don't be a b*tch.
Oh nvm. Keep crying and being babies. Is it a disappointing season? Yes. Was this a disappointing performance? Absolutely.

But these same guys (coaches and student athletes) we hoped would take us to new levels previously unthinkable have been foundational in establishing a new floor.

A floor where 7-8 wins feels like a let down.

So yeah. Be upset. Piss and moan. But keep some perspective. And put some respect on it when you talk on the Iowa State Cyclones.

You know no one else will.
Honor before victory. Loyal son, forever true.

Well you fans heading to Memphis are true diehards
Yeah. Our bowl travel street cred will take a hit this year

The biggest mistake is that we support these losers. If someone says that we at least played hard I think I am going to get sick! Pathetic team.

Honestly, I don’t want him to leave, but if I saw Campbell in a bar tonight, I’d tell him to **** off. That was a **** performance and the dream season is officially over. We lost to 3 **** teams this year, including Iowa and played it close to another **** team in UNI. This year is ****.

The 62 FG for the win...
Well, it's gonna be a 62 yard field goal try.

If we lose on a 60+ yard field goal after this comeback…

Send back a returner.

If he makes this, I will tip my hat. 62 yards? **** me.

I think a fake is coming

Of ******* course.

Lulz, there it is.

**** me

There goes our season.

ISU invents yet another way to lose.

why why why in the **** are you not trying to block that

That's the most Iowa State ending ever. 10 extra yards worth of leg on a 62 yarder.

The life of a Cyclone fan is a painful one.

Who would have thought in mid November we would have the same record as Texas Tech.

That kicker is getting the most action of his life tonight.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:11:48 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »
There's way too many comments on the Surly game thread to wade through but you can get a good feel for their psyche just by looking at some of the individual thread titles:

How long does Sark keep his job
How are you preparing yourself for the loss to Kansas? - this one was started a week prior to the game  :horrorsurprise:
I wish all the shitty players would hit the portal
Who could we realistically hire tomorrow if Sark was hypothetically fired?
Texas is Hopeless...
Worst. Ever. Not Even Close
Chris Del Conte is a gigantic pussy
Hope Bijan gets in the portal
What has changed after this Kansas loss?
This is who Steve Sarkisian is
Worst starting position group at Texas All-Time
What are you drinking?
I've never seen a team quit like this

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
You know, having more time to process the Texas game, I do have to think it was a strategic blunder for UT not going for two in OT. They had to know KU would go for it if they got a TD, and UT struggled to stop KU all night. Seems like very little to lose at that stage in the game.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
You know, having more time to process the Texas game, I do have to think it was a strategic blunder for UT not going for two in OT. They had to know KU would go for it if they got a TD, and UT struggled to stop KU all night. Seems like very little to lose at that stage in the game.

If they would have decided to go for 2, I think KU would have taken the 15 yard penalty on the try instead of the next possession. Maybe they can't change their mind at that point, though? :dunno:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »

i could see the argument for going for 2 when they scored the late TD at the end of regulation, but going for 2 when you have the first OT possession and you don't have to go for 2 makes no sense.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »

If they would have decided to go for 2, I think KU would have taken the 15 yard penalty on the try instead of the next possession. Maybe they can't change their mind at that point, though? :dunno:
Ah I forgot about that. Yeah I think that probably would have mucked up going for two even if that was the initial plan.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 03:29:07 PM »

i could see the argument for going for 2 when they scored the late TD at the end of regulation, but going for 2 when you have the first OT possession and you don't have to go for 2 makes no sense.
It makes plenty of sense. Even if you fail, all you have to do is stop KU from getting a TD on their possession. That’s not the case if you go for two at the end of the game.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »

It makes plenty of sense. Even if you fail, all you have to do is stop KU from getting a TD on their possession. That’s not the case if you go for two at the end of the game.
yeah i suppose that objective proved to be a bit vexing...

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »
Exactly, and if you were concerned you can’t stop them you’d need to go for two.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 12:26:58 AM »
If UT didn't get that dog crap unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and they went for two and didn't get it, Sark would have been fired on the spot. Like Jimmy Lake damn near did because he punted the ball with 2 minutes left, down 2 scores.

Could you imagine a coach going to a post game press conference and saying "we went for two because we didn't have the confidence to stop them from getting a touchdown a 2 point conversation on their possession."

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 07:55:10 AM »
If UT didn't get that dog crap unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and they went for two and didn't get it, Sark would have been fired on the spot. Like Jimmy Lake damn near did because he punted the ball with 2 minutes left, down 2 scores.

Could you imagine a coach going to a post game press conference and saying "we went for two because we didn't have the confidence to stop them from getting a touchdown a 2 point conversation on their possession."

Exactly. UT made the right call just getting their PAT in OT and in regulation and KU made the right call going for 2 in OT, on the road, as a huge underdog. Capitalize on the momentum while you have it. Having said that, they were damn near picked off on the previous play, and UT did a good job of defending the 2 point conversion. KU just got lucky.*

*KU got lucky on that play, not the whole game.

EDIT: Also, Surly is hilariously depressing right now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:58:26 AM by PurpleOil »

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
Trying to win the game is an entirely different thing than not trying to win the game.

You know what else will get a Texas coach fired?

Losing to Kansas.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »

Exactly. UT can't win with the 2 right there either with KU yet to have possession. Taking out the quality of the teams/situations, 2pts are roughly 50% propositions.

KU has to score a touchdown regardless of the 2 so the odds of them doing that aren't relevant.
50% - you miss the 2 and KU kicks a near 100% xp, you lose
25% - you make the 2 and KU misses the 2, you win
12.5% - you make the 2 and KU makes the 2, you lose in future OTs
12.5% - you make the 2 and KU makes the 2, you win in future OTs

If UT goes for 2 on the first possession of OT, it would likely be a losing proposition 62.5% of the time and winning 37.5%.
Devil's advocate argument is all things between the teams aren't equal, which is why KU is more than willing to bet the game on a 50/50 shot.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 11:43:26 AM »
Objectively it’s the right call. I’m just saying that seizing back almost all the momentum after like a 100 point game I still would have liked to see UT go for two there.