Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981453 times)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25350 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
We just need a website with the right blogger and a comments section for "LSU fans"...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25353 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
Think of the MU butthurt if by very rare chance that happened.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25354 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »
We're at least calling LSU today, right.  :dunno:

I highly, highly, highly doubt LSU ever leaves, but you have to think, at some point, their discontent and dissatisfaction at how some things are going could lead to them at least having casual drinks with somebody somewhere.

I agree.  I think today you at least call LSU/Arkansas and Fox and get the following line of thinking going:

• LSU, you want fair scheduling.  Fine.  You come we keep 9 games with no divisions.  We keep a few protected games (OU-OSU, OU-UT, KU-KSU, UT-Tech, Baylor-TCU, LSU-#12).  Other than that we rotate where you play OU and UT each 8 times every 10 years.  8 of the next 10 years one of them will be in Death Valley.
  • We add a championship game.  Top two teams play.  Go undefeated in conference, you're in.  If you have 1 or 2 losses but are still the 2nd best team in the conference, you're still in.  The geographic relationship between you and the team you lost to doesn't matter.  If you have a good team, odds are you're playing in early December for an almost guaranteed spot in the playoff.
  • Next you call Fox and ask them how much they are willing to pay for a championship game that has a good shot of some combo of UT/OU/LSU.  How much are they willing to give LSU to integrate LSU stuff into their regional FSN a la the Sooner Network?  How much are they willing to pay for access to 3-4 night games in Death Valley.  I'm guessing it's a lot.
  • After that you ask Fox how much more are they willing to pay to add A&M back into the mix in regular season inventory/CCG game possibilities.
  • This is where the motivation for UT to really push this comes from.  If you can get Fox to agree pony up for the above if UT can make LSU happen and get LSU to even think about moving, UT gets to call A&M with a win/win for UT.  Either A&M comes back or we put them on an island and take Arky.  Bowlsby should be on the phone with UT dangling that carrot out for UT to work on LSU.  You have to think UT would exhaust every possibility to get that ultimate win over A&M.

I know the chances of the above are less than 1%, but there is a lot of incentive all around that Bowlsby should at least be calling all the parties and making them all say no.  You never know.  If you crack all of those doors open one of them may decide to go above and beyond to convince the others to make it work. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:50:55 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25355 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
LSU and Arky leaving the SEC for the big 12 would create the best day in twitter/bbs/talk radio history.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25356 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Jesus H. Christ.  I'm not going to get a lick of sleep thinking about this all night.   :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25357 on: April 28, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
makes a lot of sense

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25358 on: April 28, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
whats more exciting, les miles eating our turf or skinben demolishing baton rouge for a qhatz roadie :excited:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25359 on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:15 PM »
tell me more about this no divisions but a championship game thing, sounds like the most terriblist of terrible ideas

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25360 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
tell me more about this no divisions but a championship game thing, sounds like the most terriblist of terrible ideas

How is having the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams tied requiring a tie breaker any worse than having a 3 way tie for a division to play the 4th best team?  If you set up the schedule right you can mitigate most risks of tie breaker hell.  One way is to set it up so that for every team, the two teams they don't play always play eachother. 

No divisions will set up better chamionship games than the best team playing the 4th best team just because of geography or randomly picked divisions.  I always hated the CCGs where the two best teams didn't play just so OU could beat Mizzou again because before the season started we had to make sure we had a 50/50 chance at not getting a rematch.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #25361 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24543430/lsu-ad-unhappy-with-sec-leadership-in-rivalry-decision

Arkansas and LSU to the . . . Big 12!!

That is exactly why 14 teams in a conference just doesn't work. It's a terrible number.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25362 on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

How is having the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams tied requiring a tie breaker any worse than having a 3 way tie for a division to play the 4th best team?  If you set up the schedule right you can mitigate most risks of tie breaker hell.  One way is to set it up so that for every team, the two teams they don't play always play eachother. 

No divisions will set up better chamionship games than the best team playing the 4th best team just because of geography or randomly picked divisions.  I always hated the CCGs where the two best teams didn't play just so OU could beat Mizzou again because before the season started we had to make sure we had a 50/50 chance at not getting a rematch.

I'm guessing you were cool with it in 2003 when a 1 loss Texas, that beat us, didn't get to play in the CCG.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25363 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
Here are some examples from the Big12 where the best teams didn't play eachother for the championship game because of geography.  (Note, if you don't think the point of a championship game is for the two best teams to play, this doesn't matter because we have fundamental differences in what we think a CCG should be.)

1996: 6-2 UT played in CCG instead of 7-1 Colorado despite losing to Colorado.  Also got in over a 6-2 KSU team they didn't play.

1997: 6-2 Texas A&M played in CCG instead of 7-1 KSU.  KSU beat A&M in regular season.

1999: 6-2 Texas played in CCG instead of 7-1 KSU.  KSU beat Texas in regular season.

2000: 6-2 KSU plays in CCG instead of 7-1 Texas.  KSU/Texas didn't play eachother, however Texas beat A&M and A&M beat KSU.

2003: 6-2 KSU plays in CCG instead if 7-1 Texas.  Texas beat KSU in regular season.

2004: 4-4 Colorado plays in CCG instead of 7-1 Texas, 5-3 Texas Tech, 5-3 Texas A&M and 4-4 OSU.  Colorado lost in regular season to Texas, Texad A&M, and OSU.

2005: 5-3 Colorado plays in CCG instead of 6-2 Texas Tech and 6-2 OU.

2006: 6-2 Nebraska plays in CCG instead of 6-2 Texas.  Texas beat Nebraska in regular season.

2008: 5-3 Mizzou plays in CCG instead on 7-1 Texas, 7-1 Texas Tech, and 5-3 OSU.  Mizzou lost to Texas and OSU in regular season.

2010: 6-2 Nebraska plays in CCG over 6-2 OSU and 6-2 Texas A&M.  Nebraska beat OSU and lost to A&M.  A&M beat OSU.  Mizzou and OU also went 6-2.  OU went to CCG despite losing to Mizzou. 

In 10 of 15 years of Big12 CCGs, one of the participants was choosen based off geography/divisions.  The only difference is divisions were the original method and thus accepted way of choosing CCG participants.  That is no better than any method of choosing CCG participants without divisions.

Edit: To answer your other question.  No, we shouldn't have been there in 2000 or 2003.  I have no problem saying that.  However, we should have been there in 1997 and 1999.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:22:33 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25364 on: April 29, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »
How many SEC teams do you think have called KU & ISU's AD this week?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25365 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »
You're arguing against a north american sports truth though, I can't think of a single league, or conference that has a championship playoff without divisional play. Needless to say the Big 12 conference or any other major sports college conference won't be breaking the mold. Besides I believe that the NCAA mandates that you have to have divisions to play a championship game, yep they do.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8900124/big-12-wants-ncaa-allow-conference-title-game

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25366 on: April 29, 2014, 12:40:47 AM »
You're arguing against a north american sports truth though, I can't think of a single league, or conference that has a championship playoff without divisional play. Needless to say the Big 12 conference or any other major sports college conference won't be breaking the mold. Besides I believe that the NCAA mandates that you have to have divisions to play a championship game, yep they do.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8900124/big-12-wants-ncaa-allow-conference-title-game

That mandate will be the first to go in August when the new governance structure is approved.  The ACC is pushing it go away, Bowlsby has said the Big12 wants it gone, and Delany has said he has no problem with conferences choosing how they name champion. 

To your other point, every other NA sports has either wildcards (pros/NCAA championships) or all teams in(at a minimum 50% - conferences).  Those divisional structures are mainly for seeding purposes, not including/excluding who gets to pay for a championship.  It's not very often a non-division champ gets left out for a lesser division champ, and when that does happen the team that gets left out had ample opportunity to get in above other wildcards.  NCAA football is the unique outliner due to the relatively low number of games to quantity of teams ratio.  It is the only sport I can think of where teams in the same conference don't play each other.  A unique situation allows for a unique method.

(Edit: I just realized how dumb that 2nd to last sentence is.  However, I still claim it unique.  In the NFL 37% of the teams make the playoffs and you still have an opportunity to win the championship if you have the 2nd or 3rd best record and the team(s) you lost to/teams that have a better record just happen to be in your division.  In college FB with a 12 team conference only 17% have a chance at the championship after the regular season).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:59:32 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25367 on: April 29, 2014, 01:12:04 AM »
How many SEC teams do you think have called KU & ISU's AD this week?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25368 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
I like the idea of gaining New Orleans as either a place we play OOC or a new conf member.  Let's do that.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25369 on: April 29, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
I like the idea of gaining New Orleans as either a place we play OOC or a new conf member.  Let's do that.

tulane!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25370 on: April 29, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »

tulane!
:Yuck:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25371 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »

tulane!
The school that gave itself the death penalty in sports.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25372 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:18 AM »
tuLAME

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
@Trogdor_gE

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25374 on: April 29, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
We should leave the big 12 for the MWC