Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980952 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9575 on: September 05, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
FrankMartinKSU Frank Martin
The biggest waste of time is worrying about things we can't control. Maximize who u r everyday & do +things 4 others & everything will b ok

God damn it Frank you're not helping  :curse: :curse:

Frank is a light shining in the darkness. 

goEMAW is to Frank Martin as GPC is to Old Balls. (effing auto-correct)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:19:24 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
FrankMartinKSU Frank Martin
The biggest waste of time is worrying about things we can't control. Maximize who u r everyday & do +things 4 others & everything will b ok

God damn it Frank you're not helping  :curse: :curse:

Frank is a light shining in the darkness. 

goEMAW is to Frank Martin as GPC is to Old Balls. (rough ridin' auto-correct)

Frank is to EMAW as rain is to a wheat field. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: September 05, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
goEMAW is to Frank as blood is to a beating heart.

catzacker

« Reply #9578 on: September 05, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
don't we have to hope for UT going to the Pac-12, otherwise, wouldn't a natural choice be ku and mu?  big east wouldn't take us w/out those two I wouldn't think.  i would imagine they'd have to go to the pac-12.  they might say they want to go independent but that would mean not only baylor but TT would be left out in the cold as well, no f'ing way that flies with the their legislators.  i dunno.  i'm all for the the big east scenario if/when it comes to it.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: September 05, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
don't we have to hope for UT going to the Pac-12, otherwise, wouldn't a natural choice be ku and mu?  big east wouldn't take us w/out those two I wouldn't think.  i would imagine they'd have to go to the pac-12.  they might say they want to go independent but that would mean not only baylor but TT would be left out in the cold as well, no f'ing way that flies with the their legislators.  i dunno.  i'm all for the the big east scenario if/when it comes to it.  

I think the BE would just take the KS schools and ISU if MU went to the SEC or something.  They will be desperate to get to 12 football schools if crap starts getting real. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: September 05, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »

ku and mu would make the most sense, but i honestly don't think ku and kstate will be allowed to separate.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: September 05, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
I'm not sure the Pac-12 will be that hungry to get to 16. Pretty sure they'll wait as long as it takes for Texas.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: September 05, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
texas needs to just go to the Big 10 and crap on nebraska's head

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: September 05, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm not sure the Pac-12 will be that hungry to get to 16. Pretty sure they'll wait as long as it takes for Texas.

Ditto for Big10 and ND.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

catzacker

« Reply #9584 on: September 05, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
i dunno.  if you're ku and mu, and you have the choice, does the Pac-16 (sans ut and tt) make more sense or the Super-New Big East make more sense?  I mean, for KSU, whoever will take us makes sense.  

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9585 on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
If conferences go to 16 teams, the ACC will poach big east schools.  So... we for sure will have a spot in the big east.  Congrats to us.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
i dunno.  if you're ku and mu, and you have the choice, does the Pac-16 (sans ut and tt) make more sense or the Super-New Big East make more sense?  I mean, for KSU, whoever will take us makes sense. 

Absolutely the Pac-16

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: September 05, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
So is Texas the PAC-12's ND?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: September 05, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
texas needs to just go to the Big 10 and crap on nebraska's head

I would probably not care as much about being relegated to crap status if this happened.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: September 05, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
How will ku's prolific national following feel about ku b-ball games that tip off at 9 and 10'oclock at night?

I can't imagine that the 10's of thousands of ku fans in NYC, Philly, Boston, D.C. and Miami are going to be happy about that.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: September 05, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »
How will ku's prolific national following feel about ku b-ball games that tip off at 9 and 10'oclock at night?

I can't imagine that the 10's of thousands of ku fans in NYC, Philly, Boston, D.C. and Miami are going to be happy about that.

They'll just use their degrees to swing new high paying jobs in LA, San Fran, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, etc.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
http://blogmaverick.com/2011/09/04/so-what-should-big-12-schools-do-say-no-to-super-conferences/

Here is some unsolicited advice to the Big 12. As you might expect coming from me, it’s going to be contrary to what everyone else thinks they should do.

With Texas A&M trying to leave the Big 12 (It doesn’t happen until the SEC accepts them) every remaining school is trying to decide in the immortal lyrics of The Clash “Should I Stay or Should I Go”.  The quick answer ?

They should stay.

Why ? The first reason is that the Super Conferences that are forming or being considered will turn into a huge mistake. No if ands or buts about it. While the concept of a Super Conference sounds incredibly cool , the reality is that the larger than 12 school conferences will only invoke the law of intended consequences and will create the following problems:

1. More schools will NOT mean more TV money.

The big college TV networks, Fox, ESPN, CBS pay for quality, not quantity.  They need marquee matchups that are “Must Tweet TV”.  The number of schools in a conference actually reduce the parity and quality of match-ups in a conference. The networks will not pay up for that.  Adding Texas A&M to the SEC is not going to add a single dollar’s worth of value to the owner of the SEC TV contract , regardless of sport.  Maybe the SEC has an escalator in their contract that increases the total value of the TV contract, but I’m guessing that it still will result in a reduction in the dollars paid to each school when compared to the amount paid had an additional school not joined the conference.

2. Fans will hate the scheduling impact

You know how there is midnight madness in college basketball ? And late night and games scheduled at weird times for basketball ? Get ready for morning madness in college football as well.  I’m guessing that the only way to get all those games through a single TV network partner is to start very, very early or to go very very late.

OR

to move games to online broadcasts.  Which is exactly why the big networks are very supportive of the Super Conferences. They know they will be able to force matchups OFF of tv and on to internet based broadcasts. You can pass your own judgement if that’s good or bad.

3. Say Goodbye to Cupcake Football Games

As a big college football fan I see this as a positive. But if you talk to any coach with BCS aspirations, they will tell you that this is a huge negative. Sure Utah State can take Auburn to the wire every now and then, but the reality is most BCS title aspiration (not all) schools have 3 or 4 cupcake games on their schedule. With every school added to a conference they are going to have to remove a cupcake to make room on their schedule. Coaches are going to HATE this. Of course the smaller schools are going to lose their pay day as well.

4. Goodbye Geographic Rivalry Games

Growing up in Pittsburgh I absolutely loved the Pitt vs Penn State battles . It didn’t matter how bad either team was.  I hated the fact that the game disappeared.  All those natural rivalries of Texas A&M in and around the state of Texas  will be impacted.  And as far as new rivalries, it’s a long drive for fans from College Station to Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, etc.  (Yes I know Arkansas has survived it but it would be interesting to know what their fans think about only playing A&M as a nearby rival and btw, they already play each other ).

I don’t care how good  a game OU vs Oregon could hypothetically be, fans from both sides are going to second guess the economics of going to the games. And if it’s an off-year for either team, then what ?

5. Big Dogs Hate Becoming Little Dogs

In a huge conference a school  that was once a “leader” in its conference will inevitably become an also ran. They will be the school that used to get national games that now is relegated to the internet broadcasts or a small coverage regional game.  Think recruits might notice that ?  Of course they will. Being on the bottom rung of a 12 team conference is bad enough. Being at or near the bottom of a 16 team conference assures television invisibility.

How long will it take before teams that feel like they aren’t getting the coverage they need will withdraw from a super conference ?  At which point someone else obviously has to take their place at the bottom.  Big dogs hate becoming little dogs. It will be just a matter of time before schools withdraw.

So What should the Big 12 teams do ? They should stay in the Big 12

So now let me explain some reasons why I think the Big 12 should stay as is after Texas A&M leaves.

1. The Big12  becomes the AL East of College Football.

Every year you know that the Yankees and Red Sox are going to battle it out in a unique rivalry where both sides dislike each other. It is one of the most watched match-ups in MLB. Now some might argue it is because of market size. It’s not. There are plenty of large market rivalries that don’t compare (see Dodgers – Giants).   Texas vs OU has the same cachet and regional and national intensity.  If either team moves they will have a difficult , if not impossible time replacing the quality of this rivalry. What’s more, the remaining teams because of the quality of the programs can quickly evolve into significant rivalries

Going back to my AL East comparison, Tampa Bay has quickly become a rival to both the Yankees and Red Sox. It’s not a rivalry of national interest yet, but it can get there.  The Big 12 has quality programs that will only grow in significance because it has fewer schools.

More schools in a conference dilutes rivalries if only because in a super conference they may not play each other every year.

2. Money, Money, Money

Probably the most important reason to stay in a smaller Big 12 is that fewer schools means more money to the conference. The Big 12 is looking at a new TV deal in  just a few years.  The bidding between Fox, ESPN, CBS and maybe even NBC that has just rebranded  Versus as NBC Sports Network could be intense.  Will they get less money having lost 3 schools in the past 3 years….. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

They will get just as  much money and if they play their cards right, they could get even more !  On a per school basis it could be much, much more.

Their TV partners want quality, marquee games with national significance.  That happens with the top 2 to 4  teams in every major conference. It doesn’t matter whether your conference has 9. 12. 16 or more members. There are only 20 teams in the Top 20 and 10 in the Top 10. By the 5th game of the season the top teams in the top conferences are getting national attention.  Everyone else is just working to become bowl eligible to keep their fans interested.  The TV networks pay the big bucks in order to be able to broadcast the best games between the best teams in the conference. They don’t care about the 5th or lower teams playing each other. Those go regional not national.

3. Out of Conference TV Ready Games

Fewer teams in the conference means more opportunity for out of conference games. They have more opportunities to schedule VERY TV FRIENDLY MATCHUPS with schools  from other non super conferences.  Could the Oregon vs LSU game yesterday even have been put together if both conferences had 14 schools ? 16 schools ?  It’s would be very tough. Not the case among the non super conference schools. There will alway be compelling matchups available. Which of course the TV networks will love.

4. They Can Pay Players Larger Stipends or Start an NFL Like Development Fund

The Big 12 can take the 20mm, 25mm or whatever the amount that would have gone to Texas A&M and do any of the following or whatever else they can think of :

a. Do what the NFL does, make it a fund that can be borrowed against to develop or enhance stadiums and practice facilities or for conference wide programs.

b. Use it for anything that allows the Big 12 to brand itself as a better quality conference for its athletes, fans and TV partners.

c. Use the additional shares to increase the stipends to athletes across all revenue sports.  Think this might help the recruiting of all Big 12 schools ?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
At this point I really don't much care where we go as long as we are in a BCS auto-bid conference, or the equivalent.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
i dunno.  if you're ku and mu, and you have the choice, does the Pac-16 (sans ut and tt) make more sense or the Super-New Big East make more sense?  I mean, for KSU, whoever will take us makes sense. 

Absolutely the Pac-16

I say the big east for reasons listed earlier. Of course the pac won't want either without ut, so I think it's kind of an odd question. I also think it would be wise for both to go with a regional partner, too.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: September 05, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
if OU and oSu head west surely the PAC 12/14/16 waits for UT and one other Texas school. They would probably take Houston before going for any other Big 12 teams. Also, KU and MU as a pair makes no sense for the PAC. If they are that desperate to get to 16 and can't get UT, KU and KSU makes much more sense.

Also, why has no one talked about the possibility that UT goes after SEC membership just to poop on A&M again, leaving Tech and Baylor to join C-USA? SEC has to want UT (and their additional tv sets).

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
if OU and oSu head west surely the PAC 12/14/16 waits for UT and one other Texas school. They would probably take Houston before going for any other Big 12 teams. Also, KU and MU as a pair makes no sense for the PAC. If they are that desperate to get to 16 and can't get UT, KU and KSU makes much more sense.

Also, why has no one talked about the possibility that UT goes after SEC membership just to poop on A&M again, leaving Tech and Baylor to join C-USA? SEC has to want UT (and their additional tv sets).

UT would be pooping on themselves and they know it.  UT needs to be perceived, as much as possible, as controlling their own destiny. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: September 05, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
SkinnyBenny, Deez Nutz, Trim, OregonHawk, ChiCat, Duncan (+ 1 Hidden) and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

:drool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: September 05, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
SkinnyBenny, Deez Nutz, Trim, OregonHawk, ChiCat, Duncan (+ 1 Hidden) and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

:babywillie:

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: September 05, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

omfg.

You could just feel his presence regenerating after Conference Armageddon and 10-7

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: September 05, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
Team Cuban for commissioner.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles