Author Topic: ROI  (Read 4438 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: ROI
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
Are you people thinking that we should get Saban rather than Swinney?  I think either would accomplish the goal, but my gut instinct is that it would go smoother with Swinney.

Urban is the correct answer

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
If we start paying $20 million everyone else will start paying $30.  Imagine what Texas could pay.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »
At what point is there diminishing returns on salary?  We should be pushing the quality of life angle.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
If we start paying $20 million everyone else will start paying $30.  Imagine what Texas could pay.

That's why it's important to shoot first, and use the revenue to maintain and then some.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
This tread has taken some predictable goEMAW turns but your initial point is something i have often thought about.  There was a time when Michael Jordan was making $30m a year (far more than the next highest paid player) when he was BY FAR the most exploited, underpaid player in all of sports.  I often mused aloud that every NBA team should pitch in money to pay him because he was so valuable to the entire league.  It's certainly interesting to consider whether Saban/Meyer/Swinney are in the same boat?  Although we paid Bill no where close to what the top coaches were paid, the same argument could easily be made for him and what he did for KSU...clearly he has been incredibly underpaid relative to the value he has brought to KSU.  There is obviously a law of diminishing returns and he has moved us so far up the graph, the last amount of value would be difficult to obtain at a price (cost) with a positive ROI.  And even if it was positive, it would be nowhere near the ROI we've gotten on Bill's hire. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
I'd agree with you if I thought that LHC Bill Snyder is as good of a coach as Urban and Saban, but I don't. Snyder is a great developer of talent, probably the best ever. What he failed to realize is that elite talent can be developed as well. His recruiting philosophy placed an artificial ceiling on his program. I get not wanting to recruit in season to focus on development, but he could have run a more balanced program but he didn't and he shouldn't get credit over coaches who do.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
This thread is about investing in being elite.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
I'd agree with you if I thought that LHC Bill Snyder is as good of a coach as Urban and Saban, but I don't. Snyder is a great developer of talent, probably the best ever. What he failed to realize is that elite talent can be developed as well. His recruiting philosophy placed an artificial ceiling on his program. I get not wanting to recruit in season to focus on development, but he could have run a more balanced program but he didn't and he shouldn't get credit over coaches who do.

i don't think that Bill is a better coach than Urban or Saban although it would have been very interesting to see what he could have done had he jumped to an elite program in the late 90's (assuming he would have recruited top tier talent...debatable)   I DO think he did something even they might not have been able to do at a place they would have never even considered at any point in their career.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
My friends all think I'm crazy when I keep saying we should offer Belichik $20million+ a year and see if he would come...a man can dream.
Dax fan club member!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
why would you want Belichick if you're gonna pay 20 million +

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
why would you want Belichick if you're gonna pay 20 million +

Dude has 2 superbowl rings as a DC and 5 as a HC...
Dax fan club member!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
Can't recruit
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »
I agree that coaches are more important than facilities and that we should pay a crap load and hire the best guy possible. I would've put ten million a year for ten years towards the best possible coach and staff before I would've built new vanier.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »
Also, if the goal is to just have a .500ish conference basketball team that has no chance of ever doing damage in the tournament, then we should get rid of oscar immediately and replace him with an osu type hire. That alone would pay for a good o or d coordinator.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
We, as most colleges, do a lot of stupid crap.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
mike gundy routinely holds OSU hostage for better facilities and Jimbo sold his soul to the devil because FSU wouldn't commit more to facilities.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 09:02:58 PM »
Lol at mike gundy holding anybody hostage and fisher left beacause tamu backed the truck up, which kind of proves my point.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 10:10:20 PM »
back the rough ridin' truck up, that’s what i always say

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »
Lol at mike gundy holding anybody hostage and fisher left beacause tamu backed the truck up, which kind of proves my point.
IIRC, both of these ADs' spent a bunch of cash on facilities before or after they hired these coaches.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.