Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 160061 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
good point, who in their right mind would want someone who is control freak in charge of a business that employs hundreds and generates tens of millions of dollars

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »
I don't think anyone is making that point, and no doubt John was great at that.

However, some semblance of people skills and being relatable seems important to me.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
good point, who in their right mind would want someone who is control freak in charge of a business that employs hundreds and generates tens of millions of dollars

That's fine if he wants to run a tight ship and is obsessive over it on the parts of the athletic department that are not sports programs.  His meddling in individual programs is what makes him a hyper control freak and creates tension between himself and successful coaches.  He doesn't know where to stop.  I don't see that as a desirable trait in an athletic director.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »

However, some semblance of people skills and being relatable seems important to me.
Not choosing sides and I never  met the man. Did he not need people skills to get all that money?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Nevermind. I thought more about that. Silly question.

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile

Could you all share some specifics of his shortcomings in relating to coaches and fans

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's the story with "moo"? Preview of coming attractions in Knoxville?

We were playing against the Oklahoma State University Cows.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Could you all share some specifics of his shortcomings in relating to coaches and fans

apparently two of the more hard to get along with coaches in their respective sports didn't get along with john currie (this is based upon second hand information). see the note about bill and john not saying hi to each other at church, for example.

as far as getting along with fans goes, people here hate him because frank martin left k-state, but 99% of our fan base hasn't thought twice about whether or not john currie is personable and don't care anything about the subject.  he was so unpersonable that they continued to throw money at him and the department

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
he found a mystery receipt for a small cash transfer from a friend to one of our best players and suspended him in the hours before a sweet 16 game.  That's a real thing that actually happened

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
he found a mystery receipt for a small cash transfer from a friend to one of our best players and suspended him in the hours before a sweet 16 game.  That's a real thing that actually happened

Second round

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Things like this. And these are the types of things that caused the disconnect with coaches.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile

Here... I'll give you a good example.

I met the man no less than 12-15 times at athletic alumni events where he introduced himself as if he'd never met me. While admittedly I'm not always the absolute best at remembering names, 99% of the time I can (like most people) remember if I've met someone in a relatively small, exclusive, social gathering.

EVERY time, save for the very last this December in Houston, he would introduce himself as if he'd never met or laid eyes on me before.  While I had no real need for him to remember my name, the very least he could have done was act like he at least recognized me or remembered having met me at least once or twice before over the course of 10-12 occurrences.

I've spoken with others as well who've had the exact same experience and a good friend of mine that many would consider a "big cigar" uses the term "socially inept" when describing your wonderful new AD.

:buh-bye:
bears are fast...

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

have you seen the office? do you know who Gabe is? Basically Currie is Gabe from the office.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Second round

it would have been the player's final game of his (5th year) senior season, too

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
One of the earlier stories was Tyler Locketts's recruitment.  John tied the assistant coaches phones to a call tracking software to cross check against call limits.  His software highlighted Michael Smith calling Tyler Lockett.  Michael Smith was a teammate of Kevin Lockett and was Tyler's godfather, which is well within the realms of a pre-existing relationship allowing extra contact.  John took a super conservative stance and self reported.  He then even went more super-conservative on the self-implied sanctions against Michael via recruiting restrictions.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Currie did many good things.  But he was still a hyper control freak weird dude who was not relatable. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

Just like Bill.

Okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile

I've spoken with others as well who've had the exact same experience and a good friend of mine that many would consider a "big cigar" uses the term "socially inept" when describing your wonderful new AD.

:buh-bye:
He apparently was not well liked in the UT AD when he was here. Sounds like it's going to be a three ring circus for years to come.  :bang::cheers:

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
One of the earlier stories was Tyler Locketts's recruitment.  John tied the assistant coaches phones to a call tracking software to cross check against call limits.  His software highlighted Michael Smith calling Tyler Lockett.  Michael Smith was a teammate of Kevin Lockett and was Tyler's godfather, which is well within the realms of a pre-existing relationship allowing extra contact.  John took a super conservative stance and self reported.  He then even went more super-conservative on the self-implied sanctions against Michael via recruiting restrictions.

This worries me the most. Vol fans were squeamish when Kiffin played around in the gray area of NCAA rules. That tendency along with Currie's paranoia about violations is not a good recipe for recruiting in the SEC.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
his wife is super hot and smokes cigarettes if you know what I mean
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

This worries me the most. Vol fans were squeamish when Kiffin played around in the gray area of NCAA rules. That tendency along with Currie's paranoia about violations is not a good recipe for recruiting in the SEC.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't normally listen to the GPC podcast, but I did last night. Fitz made the point that if Currie has something against you, he will basically make up a rule to prevent you from doing certain things. He pointed out that GPC used to be a pregame sponsor for football with a segment and that Fitz used to be the color commentator back up for basketball. A couple of years ago, Currie came to him with a rule that said because of his status as a media member and being part of rivals, he was not able to work for athletics any longer or be a sponsor. However, Fitz then pointed out many rivals colleagues that work for athletics at their institutions, including a guy at Texas Tech and the guy at Tennessee.

Granted, I get that some of that is Fitz being ticked at Currie, but when he pointed out others that do the exact same thing with no problems that Currie made up rules to prevent him from doing, he made his point IMO.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Sounds like it's going to be a three ring circus for years to come.  :bang::cheers:

Provide #coverage here.  None of us will be signing up to a tennessee bbs.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
I don't normally listen to the GPC podcast, but I did last night. Fitz made the point that if Currie has something against you, he will basically make up a rule to prevent you from doing certain things. He pointed out that GPC used to be a pregame sponsor for football with a segment and that Fitz used to be the color commentator back up for basketball. A couple of years ago, Currie came to him with a rule that said because of his status as a media member and being part of rivals, he was not able to work for athletics any longer or be a sponsor. However, Fitz then pointed out many rivals colleagues that work for athletics at their institutions, including a guy at Texas Tech and the guy at Tennessee.

Granted, I get that some of that is Fitz being ticked at Currie, but when he pointed out others that do the exact same thing with no problems that Currie made up rules to prevent him from doing, he made his point IMO.

I lol'd at all that and it almost made me want us to counteroffer Currie and have him stay.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile

That's fine if he wants to run a tight ship and is obsessive over it on the parts of the athletic department that are not sports programs.  His meddling in individual programs is what makes him a hyper control freak and creates tension between himself and successful coaches.  He doesn't know where to stop.  I don't see that as a desirable trait in an athletic director.
not to mention when he went after the Collegian for "The Death of the Family" article........extremely thin skin, that guy
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
He just did weird crap that I know shouldn't bother me, but it did.  He did stuff like make a progres walk through video of our new basketball training facility while it was being constructed.  During it he said "this is our men's head coach's office".  Any normal person would say "This will be Frank's office".  In the summer ESPN did one of those throw away "best of in the conference" series where they give the conference bloggers "name this' questions.  In those they always pass around the love become they can't just answer "Oklahoma" or "Texas" on everything.  So one of their bloggers said KSU for the Big12 pregame.  Another online, random click-bait article named Manhattan " America's #1 college town".  He put those two awards on a giant banner and hung it on the side of the stadium.  Stuff like that just showed me he was out of touch with reality and had no perspective.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:39:42 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls