Author Topic: Have we sunk so far into the abyss that no decent coach will come here?  (Read 10266 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I have to admit that I think we have reached that point.  What do we have to offer.  We have 3 healthy good player, one crippled guy, a bench full of knotheads, and no scholarship for a new coach to recruit  with.  I think it is conceivable that Brown and/or Wade transfer.  If Oscar gets canned, do it now.  We would have a hell of a Missouri Valley team, but Big 12 naw.  What frustrates me is other pud programs like TCU, Texas Red Ticks, and OSU are moving up and forward.  But not us.  Hell no, we have bonehead administration that want bland white barf for basketball and football.  They really don't give a rat's ass about grunt fan.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Have we sunk so far into the abyss that no decent coach will come here?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »
Bob Huggins came to coach what Wooly had gotten fired for, and before we had all the amenities that the Frank era got us.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:50 PM »
We're never getting rid of oscar. We're stuck with him.  :bawl:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:02:31 AM »
Bob Huggins came to coach what Wooly had gotten fired for, and before we had all the amenities that the Frank era got us.
To be fair, Wooly left a nice roster. Of course so would oscar.

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:53:46 AM »
Uh...yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:25 AM »
I wonder which roster people would take for new generic coach next year:

Cartier Martin
David Hoskins
Lance Harris
Clent Stewart
Akeem Wright
Mario Taybron*
Curtis Allen*
Tyler Hughes*
Deilvez Yearby
Darren Kent
Serge Afeli
Mark Frederick*
Justin Winger*
(people who left*)

The Flush
Claws   
Deathbite
Xavier Sneed
Makol Mawien
Cartier Diarra
Amaad Wainright
Brian Patrick   
Levi Stockard III   
Nigel Shadd   
Hunch   
Kade Kinnamon   
James Love   
Mike McGuirl   
Patrick Muldoon
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
I have to admit that I think we have reached that point.  What do we have to offer.  We have 3 healthy good player, one crippled guy, a bench full of knotheads, and no scholarship for a new coach to recruit  with.  I think it is conceivable that Brown and/or Wade transfer.  If Oscar gets canned, do it now.  We would have a hell of a Missouri Valley team, but Big 12 naw.  What frustrates me is other pud programs like TCU, Texas Red Ticks, and OSU are moving up and forward.  But not us.  Hell no, we have bonehead administration that want bland white barf for basketball and football.  They really don't give a rat's ass about grunt fan.

This is the hard part... TCU, TTech and maybe OSU (Brad Underwood leaving sucked for them, so we'll see long term with the new coach) really invested in their programs have begun to creep over KSU.  The top schools seem to be pretty solid each year, with OU's flop last year as an exception, and I don't see KSU gaining any ground against them.

I still think KSU can land a good coach (TCU, TTech and OSU (with Underwood) did).  We have great facilities, great history and an 'ok' recent history.  Provided the 'Core-Four' stay we could be an attractive place for a good coach.  Perhaps Steve Henson will really turn it on at UTSA, he has already made good strides, this year and become a good candidate as well... maybe he could lure in Mitch Richmond to be the assistant head coach?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:10:00 AM by kearneymen »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »

Cartier Martin
David Hoskins
Lance Harris
Clent Stewart
Akeem Wright
Deilvez Yearby
Darren Kent

I’d take this one
:adios:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »

Cartier Martin
David Hoskins
Lance Harris
Clent Stewart
Akeem Wright
Mario Taybron*
Curtis Allen*
Tyler Hughes*
Deilvez Yearby
Darren Kent
Serge Afeli
Mark Frederick*
Justin Winger*
(people who left*)

The Flush
Claws   
Deathbite
Xavier Sneed
Makol Mawien
Cartier Diarra
Amaad Wainright
Brian Patrick   
Levi Stockard III   
Nigel Shadd   
Hunch   
Kade Kinnamon   
James Love   
Mike McGuirl   
Patrick Muldoon

Even without the Hoskins injury issue, I'd take this one. It was a fine roster to compete with at the time, but I think this one has better guards. Both have an all league level player (Martin and Wade) and then some nice Big 12 pieces (Hoskins, Harris, Wright, Kent compared to Stokes, Brown, Sneed, Diarra). IMHO anytime I'm comparing two rosters in college, I'll take the one with better guards and wings and this year's is better than the Wooly leftovers.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »
Wade is the best player on that list and I think Sneed could make a run at 2 with right coach.  Every coach wants to win right away but if the next guy needs to win his first year to then go out and recruit to KSU he is the wrong guy.

If we have learned nothing in the last 20+ years of following KSU basketball it should be that we need a coach that can bring in talent from somewhere other than the midwest and we really need an "in" in two talent different talent heavy areas to be great.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
I'm worried about our football program right now............I'll worry about bball when oscar is actually gone
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
Wade is the best player on that list and I think Sneed could make a run at 2 with right coach.  Every coach wants to win right away but if the next guy needs to win his first year to then go out and recruit to KSU he is the wrong guy.

Cartier Martin is the best player on that list, Hoskins is 2nd and Lance Harris is 3rd.  But it's possible my perception is skewed by the fact that oscar Weber coaches the guys on this years team.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »

Cartier Martin is the best player on that list, Hoskins is 2nd and Lance Harris is 3rd.  But it's possible my perception is skewed by the fact that oscar Weber coaches the guys on this years team.

it's also hard to have an opinion on the oscar player's when you never watch them play

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
I can't take anyone seriously who thinks Martin isn't the best player on that list.  I would also go similarly to Hoskins and maybe Wright instead of Lance next.  FAN THERE is no way Wade is an all league level player this season.  Last 3,4,5 games, yes.  But not all season but for simply picking the best player from each team so everyone gets a spot.  I would also take Stewart over our PGs.   I know I'm over valuing a lot because of the I proven Huggins  had for him JR  to SR  year, but I really feel he is better in necssay skills other then shooting. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
First, I never said Martin wasn't better than Wade.

Second, is very likely Wade is at least HM all league and maybe matches Martin's 2nd team as a junior.

Third, Stew was a mediocre point guard, a game manager at best. Kam and Brown are both better players.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
Cartier.

Dean.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:54:54 PM »
You can hate on oscar all you want but Wade is loads better than Martin and it really isn't close. May have been different if Cartier could have stayed healthy, but he was a hobbled set shooter by the time Huggins got him. And a pretty good one!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »
wade needs to increase his shot%, especially on threes.  but he's potentially better.  if he'd shoot 200 3s next year, it'd be an easier comparison.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »
You can hate on oscar all you want but Wade is loads better than Martin and it really isn't close. May have been different if Cartier could have stayed healthy, but he was a hobbled set shooter by the time Huggins got him. And a pretty good one!

Yeah, the injuries really changed what he could do. He was much more explosive when he arrived at K-State. Xavier Sneed is decent comparison.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:55 PM »
You can hate on oscar all you want but Wade is loads better than Martin and it really isn't close.

that's somewhere between unfair and untrue.  we don't know what sort of orating martin could have put up if he'd have shot just 20% of possessions.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:38 PM »
he, like, sprained an ankle his freshman year, right?  his purported pre-injury explosiveness sounds like a great kstate myth.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »
he, like, sprained an ankle his freshman year, right?  his purported pre-injury explosiveness sounds like a great kstate myth.
It was a knee. I remember him dunking in a half court set in an exhibition game. It was unheard of at the time

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »
wow, dunking in a half-court set.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »
Also I agree Wade should be shooting a lot more

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
he, like, sprained an ankle his freshman year, right?

Freshman Cartier Martin became the latest player to be hit with the injury bug when he came down with an ankle injury against Saint Louis on Jan. 2... Martin missed five games before returning to the lineup against Kansas on Jan. 28

http://www.kstatesports.com/news/2004/2/10/5583d913e4b06b726e663876_131478166675671548.aspx