Author Topic: And it begins...  (Read 65938 times)

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: And it begins...
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
(getting stronger)..."That’s also the case for 6-foot-10 junior-to-be Adrian Diaz, who remains a redshirt possibility.

“He has a lot of ability,” Weber said. “I told him and his family somewhere down the line he should have redshirted. Whether that’s next year for us, we just have to work with him and see if we can get him stronger and where he can be a factor.”

http://cjonline.com/sports/2013-03-28/weber-reflects-first-season-k-state

I am aware that is Luked but apparently some missed it

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Kelly Olynyk was redshirted his junior year and look at his stats!!!   :emawkid: :emawkid:

2012-13   GONZ   26.4   6.7-10.7   .629   0.3-0.9   .300   4.1-5.3   .776   7.3   1.7   1.1   0.7   2.3   2.4   17.8
2010-11   GONZ   13.5   2.1-3.7   .574   0.3-0.8   .444   1.2-1.9   .618   3.8   0.7   0.1   0.3   1.6   1.2   5.8
2009-10   GONZ   12.3   1.4-2.9   .500   0.1-0.5   .222   0.8-1.4   .596   2.7   0.8   0.1   0.5   2.0   0.6   3.8

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
“He has a lot of ability,” Weber said.
I believed this a year ago. I'm not sure I believe it anymore.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
“He has a lot of ability,” Weber said.
I believed this a year ago. I'm not sure I believe it anymore.

Coach Speak (or Coach Squeak if you prefer)

catzacker

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »
I think people are correct re: angel and gray wouldn't play together anyway.  Especially since oscar can't/didn't utilize a 7footer to protect the rim - couldn't have those two playing defense without that type of backstop.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
LOL at making Diaz a RS project.  It's not like he has shown skill that just needs a third yr of college and some weights to make it so that he can perform said skill.  They kid will be a junior next year.  One whose sole purpose in life has been to lift weights and play bb with and against other legitimate D1 players for almost two full years as of right now.  we should have witnessed more improvement both in skill and in durability, strength, whatevs than we have to date.  RS'ing him will only further deplete a bigs corp that is already being depleted with the lost of JO to the point of us having no one available over 6'-7". 

Going into conf like that seems like a bad idea.

Bolster the kid up on the D side as much as you can and ride with it.  Play for this coming year.

Also, holy crap on a possible Olyniyk comapro.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »
(getting stronger)..."That’s also the case for 6-foot-10 junior-to-be Adrian Diaz, who remains a redshirt possibility.

“He has a lot of ability,” Weber said. “I told him and his family somewhere down the line he should have redshirted. Whether that’s next year for us, we just have to work with him and see if we can get him stronger and where he can be a factor.”

http://cjonline.com/sports/2013-03-28/weber-reflects-first-season-k-state

I am aware that is Luked but apparently some missed it
oscar just keeps slapping Greenawalt right in the face  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
I guess I'm confused what the downside of redshirting Diaz is.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »

our depth at the bigs spot

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

having 2 non-frosh bigs on the active roster neither being over 6'8". I'm fine running him but we would need to replace him with another big.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
It's not like he has shown skill that just needs a third yr of college and some weights

I don't hate Diaz when he comes in. He usually turns the ball over once or twice, but he also has shown decent touch around the rim and made somewhat athletic plays in garbage time. So yeah, I disagree. I think a red shirt year would do Diaz quite a bit of good. However I think we need him next year so I don't think it will happen. It should have happened last year if it was going to.

As for Orris leaving. If anyone was going to be oscar'd it pretty much had to be him. However, he was really hot so that makes me kind of sad. Where do you guys think he goes? Back home?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »

Height.

Our current bigs that will play next yr will be Gip, Shane, Nino.  6'-7"ish, 6'-4" ish, and 6'-4" ish. 

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »
And DJamer... but that doesn't change your point.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 11:40:52 AM »
our depth at the bigs spot

We'll have 3. It's not like we used our 4th (Diaz) this past year.

having 2 non-frosh bigs on the active roster neither being over 6'8"

I'd love to have a competent 6'10" guy too, but Diaz is not that guy.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
It's not like he has shown skill that just needs a third yr of college and some weights

I don't hate Diaz when he comes in. He usually turns the ball over once or twice, but he also has shown decent touch around the rim and made somewhat athletic plays in garbage time. So yeah, I disagree. I think a red shirt year would do Diaz quite a bit of good. However I think we need him next year so I don't think it will happen. It should have happened last year if it was going to.

As for Orris leaving. If anyone was going to be oscar'd it pretty much had to be him. However, he was really hot so that makes me kind of sad. Where do you guys think he goes? Back home?

I can't take anything in your post serious.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
I hope DJamer never cuts his hair for his whole career here

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
And DJamer... but that doesn't change your point.

Yeah, forgot about him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
having 2 non-frosh bigs on the active roster neither being over 6'8"

I'd love to have a competent 6'10" guy too, but Diaz is not that guy.

sometimes you have to settle for just having a 6'10" guy

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »

Depends on the line-up I suppose, but sizable depth could be an issue.

Right now we have Gip (6-7), DJamer (6-8), Diaz (6-10), and Fincher (6-9) as our biggest players next year. Then Nino (6-5) and Shane (6-6). The interesting things is that most of the time Diaz played, he was in at the 4 spot while Nino or Shane were out.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
LOL at making Diaz a RS project.  It's not like he has shown skill that just needs a third yr of college and some weights to make it so that he can perform said skill.  They kid will be a junior next year.  One whose sole purpose in life has been to lift weights and play bb with and against other legitimate D1 players for almost two full years as of right now.  we should have witnessed more improvement both in skill and in durability, strength, whatevs than we have to date.  RS'ing him will only further deplete a bigs corp that is already being depleted with the lost of JO to the point of us having no one available over 6'-7". 

Bolster the kid up on the D side as much as you can and ride with it.  Play for this coming year.

So, let me see if I can sum up your thoughts...

Diaz is terrible, and you haven't seen any promise of potential...yet we need him next year.  :horrorsurprise:

Do I have that about right?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

So, let me see if I can sum up your thoughts...

Diaz is terrible, not a legitimate D1 player and you haven't seen any promise of potential...yet we need him next year.  :horrorsurprise:

Do I have that about right?

No, I never said he isn't a legit D1 kid.  Also didn't say he was terrible.  What I said is that he isn't a project that we need to delay the use of.  We need height.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »

I can't take anything in your post serious.

:love: :love: :love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
Orris was a good looking kid. I liked his ink too.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »
Orris was a good looking kid. I liked his ink too.

I like his right arm. His left arm, not so much.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
diaz has definitely shown skill.  rsing him would be unconventional, since we lack big depth, but could make some sense since he's shown a lot more offensively than defensively.

it'd be nice to trade out johnson for another big.  but i don't know if it's absolutely necc. in order to rs diaz.  they'd have 3 bigs to throw at one position without him.  gippy should eat about 25 of those minutes himself.

if you don't rs diaz, you have 4 bigs, none of whom are good enough to justify putting a guard on the bench to play two at a time.  either you're talking about diaz continuing to sit on the bench or you're talking about him giving you 15 minutes/game while your other two bigs that are (prolly) about equally as effective sit on the bench.  either way, you don't lose a ton by rsing him unless he comes out of the summer vastly improved.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."