Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 983303 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #10300 on: June 20, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
saying that funding for highways has a racial connotation seems like an outlandish position, but i'm eager to hear the rationale.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: June 20, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
Looks like the gerrymandering was done well....75% want to tax themselves for better transit!
Hot take alert: City Hall knowingly misleads city residents by claiming that the only people who have to pay the increased tax in the newly adopted TDD are those whole live or operate a business in the district!
Show me the dumb dumb saying this. Don't want to pay it? Easy enough to avoid cheesecake factory.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: June 20, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
saying that funding for highways has a racial connotation seems like an outlandish position, but i'm eager to hear the rationale.

you should read "Color of Law" by Richard Rothstein. https://www.amazon.com/Color-Law-Forgotten-Government-Segregated/dp/1631492853

There's a chapter on how the interstate highway system had a disproportionate negative effect on black neighborhoods. That's without considering the fact that the government subsidized home loans in suburbs that either blatantly banned non-whites or became ineligible for loans if a black family moved in.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: June 20, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Looks like the gerrymandering was done well....75% want to tax themselves for better transit!
Hot take alert: City Hall knowingly misleads city residents by claiming that the only people who have to pay the increased tax in the newly adopted TDD are those whole live or operate a business in the district!
Show me the dumb dumb saying this. Don't want to pay it? Easy enough to avoid cheesecake factory.

look at you!  playing with words!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: June 20, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »

you should read "Color of Law" by Richard Rothstein. https://www.amazon.com/Color-Law-Forgotten-Government-Segregated/dp/1631492853

There's a chapter on how the interstate highway system had a disproportionate negative effect on black neighborhoods. That's without considering the fact that the government subsidized home loans in suburbs that either blatantly banned non-whites or became ineligible for loans if a black family moved in.

this article touches on it: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/role-of-highways-in-american-poverty/474282/

but doesn't get into the fact that no real compensation was made for black families displaced.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10305 on: June 20, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »

I once got charged a sales tax at Town center plaza to pay for their parking lot....I didn't get to vote on it or nuttin!

Monsters.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: June 20, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »

i skipped the book but just read a vox article on the subject (https://www.vox.com/2015/5/14/8605917/highways-interstate-cities-history).  at the risk of pitting up this thread, i found the article interesting and learned some new history.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »

I once got charged a sales tax at Town center plaza to pay for their parking lot....I didn't get to vote on it or nuttin!

Monsters.

no you didn't.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: June 20, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »

i skipped the book but just read a vox article on the subject (https://www.vox.com/2015/5/14/8605917/highways-interstate-cities-history).  at the risk of pitting up this thread, i found the article interesting and learned some new history.

you should still real the book, it's great and pretty quick to get through. And since you can't really discuss Kansas City without eventually touching on systematic racism, I think it's appropriate to this thread!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: June 20, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: June 20, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
also, this is an interesting thing to ponder regarding highway improvements:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/06/21/the-science-is-clear-more-highways-equals-more-traffic-why-are-dots-still-ignoring-it/
I was going to bring up induced demand earlier but figured it would not be taken seriously

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: June 20, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »
Automated cars should reduce congestion significantly.   Also surface lot space will be alleviated.  I agree with 8man that our commuting culture is dumb, but I think it’s a cat that we can’t put back in the bag with as much sprawl as we have already created. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
highway improvement doesn’t equal more highway

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: June 20, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
highway improvement doesn’t equal more highway

yeah it was a bad headline but if you read the article it discusses "increased efficiency" rather than "more highway", which seems relevant for the 35/435/K-10 interchange

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: June 20, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
Can we all just admit that the two don’t equate, like at all, or ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Automated cars should reduce congestion significantly.   Also surface lot space will be alleviated.  I agree with 8man that our commuting culture is dumb, but I think it’s a cat that we can’t put back in the bag with as much sprawl as we have already created.
Totally agree we can't put it back, despite how recent a phenomenon it is
:adios:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: June 20, 2018, 10:11:10 PM »
Can we all just admit that the two don’t equate, like at all, or ever?

We've moved on.

Offline kstatefan11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »

you should still real the book, it's great and pretty quick to get through. And since you can't really discuss Kansas City without eventually touching on systematic racism, I think it's appropriate to this thread!

A great watch on this from some maw heroes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-oHmcYwFg

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
I didn’t watch the video, but I hope you all know the great divide in the city between state lines and like the plaza to Gregory. And like KCMO as a whole.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: June 21, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
I didn’t watch the video, but I hope you all know the great divide in the city between state lines and like the plaza to Gregory. And like KCMO as a whole.

I'm gonna need an interpreter for this
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10320 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »
I'll take a shot

"there is a divide between the people who live in joco and those in kcmo. Also the people who live between the plaza and Gregory (not sure if the plaza is included) are with joco in this divide scenario"
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: June 21, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
i've seen better explanations than the one in that video, but it was not bad. some cool drone footage!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: June 21, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
shocking that the airport is already delayed, oh well i’m sure it’ll be smooth sailing from here on out

hey guys obviously i was just kidding about the "smooth sailing from here on out" comment.
breaking news- the airport is now projected to complete in november of 2022 vs october of 2021 and the cost estimate has already risen +$300M

what a crap show these people are running...  i said this was going to happen to this project in this thread probably 250+ pages ago

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
BITB is clowning on ole 'sly right now on 810 and said he could come on and talk if he wants.  :love:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »