Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979612 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29800 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Seems like we have people here arguing that we have an arbitrary floating target, made up by a group of people who attempt to justify their system with ex post facto reasoning to make it look like they aren't picking teams partly based on their name or conference affiliation.  Why else does 2014 TCU, Penn St get hosed?  In one turn they say things like strength of schedule matters, but put Washington in. Oh conference championships, or at least winning your division matters, unless it's tOSU.  Direct head to head results matter, unless you were away, during a whiteout and it was close.  Or early losses matter less and we care how you are playing at the end of the season, unless, half the big 10 and the big 12.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29801 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
Seems like we have people here arguing that we have an arbitrary floating target, made up by a group of people who attempt to justify their system with ex post facto reasoning to make it look like they aren't picking teams partly based on their name or conference affiliation.  Why else does 2014 TCU, Penn St get hosed?  In one turn they say things like strength of schedule matters, but put Washington in. Oh conference championships, or at least winning your division matters, unless it's tOSU.  Direct head to head results matter, unless you were away, during a whiteout and it was close.  Or early losses matter less and we care how you are playing at the end of the season, unless, half the big 10 and the big 12.
i'm done explaining this crap.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29802 on: December 06, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
Wow, that was unnecessarily angry.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29803 on: December 06, 2016, 04:34:11 PM »
Also Dlew you've said yourself they are basing it on resume.  You can't really square that with how the evaluation standards changes between seasons, or this year, between teams. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29804 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
Also Dlew you've said yourself they are basing it on resume.  You can't really square that with how the evaluation standards changes between seasons, or this year, between teams.
where do you see a discrepancy?  you mentioned 2014 and this year in your post.  the two situations aren't the same.

What you and bowlsby fail to grasp is that in '14, Ohio State, TCU and Baylor all had the same number of losses.  That year, the "13th data point" and "conference champion" rationale was used as a tiebreaker of sorts between similarly situated teams (i.e. teams with only one loss).  This year is different, as all P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses are in the CFP.  It's unnecessary to do any sort of analysis re. conference championships or 13th data points.

This gnashing of teeth about preference for blue blood schools would've made sense if tOSU had 2 losses in '14 compared to TCU's and Baylor's 1.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:55:58 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29805 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
where do you see a discrepancy?  you mentioned 2014 and this year in your post.  the two situations aren't the same.

What you and bowlsby fail to grasp is that in '14, Ohio State, TCU and Baylor all had the same number of losses.  That year, the "13th data point" and "conference champion" rationale was used as a tiebreaker of sorts between similarly situated teams (i.e. teams with only one loss).  This year is different, as all P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses are in the CFP.  It's unnecessary to do any sort of analysis re. conference championships or 13th data points.

This gnashing of teeth about preference for blue blood schools would've made sense if tOSU had 2 losses in '14 compared to TCU's and Baylor's 1.

Part of the justification for tOSU this year is that the Big 10 was really good and they didn't have any bad losses.  Further, PSU was specifically left out for not being competitive in their loss to Mich.  But we've been told that how you are playing now matters, evolving, who is hottest.  Clearly PSU is doing well.  How much does that counterweight an early loss, which the committee has intimated wouldn't be weighed as heavily as a late loss?  Additionally, how much weight are we putting on winning the conference now?  I agree that the actual trophy shouldn't matter as much as some here think.  But I do think they sent a pretty clear message that you should be winning your division (or in the case of the Big 12 playing in the game).  That uncertainty was used against the Big 12 with its co-champions bullshit (really can't overstate how dumb the big 12 is here). 
Another issue here is the way Washington was included.  SOS/RPI obviously didn't matter to the committee.   Wasn't that, the conference RPI, part of the reason for leaving out TCU? They couldn't jump the w/l of FSU with a lower ACC RPI with their record?

Look you're bringing in some very very solid analysis, I just think you're discounting the human element a bit too much.  It seems like we're reaching a conclusion and coming up with metrics to support it afterwards instead of being a bit more consistent with how we're valuing things. I'm not saying it needs to be what Bowlsby wants, where you have a formula you can input metrics into to find your 4.  It just seems like we're left explaining committee decisions when they're talking out both side of their mouth.   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29807 on: February 07, 2017, 04:52:30 PM »
http://www.thewrap.com/disney-q1-revenue-weighed-espn-struggles/

ESPN has been over paying for content the past few years in hopes that they can hoard all of the viewers and shut down the other channels because of low or no revenue. They're playing the long game. Now, whether or not the other channels will eventually drop off is yet to be seen.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29808 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

ESPN has been over paying for content the past few years in hopes that they can hoard all of the viewers and shut down the other channels because of low or no revenue. They're playing the long game. Now, whether or not the other channels will eventually drop off is yet to be seen.

If this trend continues, either the per user fee is going to go up, or the pie-in-the-sky prognostications of bajillions of dollars for super conferences is likely not ever going to come to fruition without entirely separate and relatively costly (on a per user basis) dedicated cable packages and/or moving even further into the realm of the non-traditional (but rapidly becoming traditional) content delivery platforms.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29809 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:21 AM »

They don't "overpay" for content to necessarily shut anyone down, they do it because live content is the cheapest to produce and receives far more viewers than the alternative.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29810 on: February 08, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
There is no long game for a public, widely held company, when it comes to profit. 

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29811 on: February 08, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
There is no long game for a public, widely held company, when it comes to profit.

Disney is leveraging. My guess is they have different strategies for different internal businesses. Like Star Wars, they're milking that for everything it's worth up front and it will eventually stop being as profitable when they get done. When that happens they need things to be in place to even the scales in the future. Plenty of publicly held companies invest billions for long game gains and short game losses.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29812 on: February 08, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
What evidence do you have of this? They've done nothing publicly that indicates a change in strategy, at all.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29813 on: February 08, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »
I don't think it's any more sinister than them investing in almost only tv genre still being watched live.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29814 on: February 09, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
I don't think it's any more sinister than them investing in almost only tv genre still being watched live.

I mean it's a live sports network :dunno:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29815 on: February 09, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »

I mean it's a live sports network :dunno:
I don't know what that means.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29816 on: March 21, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
Dallas Morning News Writer says the Big 12 is too embarrassed to try expansion again soon:
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/03/20/stopping-big-12-pursuing-expansion

Other interesting points:
KU and K-State can be separated by conference (also OU and Okie Lite)
If not taken by Big 10, we go to Mountain West
Some discussion of upcoming season

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29817 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »
Dallas Morning News Writer says the Big 12 is too embarrassed to try expansion again soon:
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/03/20/stopping-big-12-pursuing-expansion

Other interesting points:
KU and K-State can be separated by conference (also OU and Okie Lite)
If not taken by Big 10, we go to Mountain West
Some discussion of upcoming season

Do not want Big 10. Do not want MW x100.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29818 on: March 23, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »
I don't care where the cats are. I'll always be a fan.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29819 on: March 23, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18983243

This has been floating around for a while, but WSU wants to join the AAC in 2018-19.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29820 on: March 23, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
Good for them.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29821 on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18983243

This has been floating around for a while, but WSU wants to join the AAC in 2018-19.

One of the most logical expansion rumors in awhile. Which probably means it won't happen.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29822 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
Wichita State I guess is getting into the AAC for this next MBB season.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29823 on: April 04, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Good for them and the MVC. Now someone else can win their conference tourney.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29824 on: April 04, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
It is bound to happen. They clearly have proven they are above being a mid-major when it comes to BB. That team btw is going to be very, very good next year. An Elite 8 or a Final Four is not outside the realm of possibility.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla