Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4616358 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #15050 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »
I'm not so sure our "window" ends this year, are you guys?

It doesn't and that's exactly why they should trade Shields either way. More than likely a team would give up a serviceable young pitcher in a trade for Shields who could be plugged in and put up solid numbers with this defense and could slot in with Duffy and Ventura to make a solid pitching staff for the next few years.

Except Dayton would make the trade and probably end up messing it up, so whatever.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
Is there a reason we didn't keep Valencia, tell Ibanez to get effed, and fill his roster spot with Colon? I'd take that over getting a fancy new backup catcher and a AAAA pitcher. I have confidence that Valencia would be slightly more valuable than a possible upgrade at backup catcher, and Ned wouldn't have the temptation to play Ibanez anymore.

Dayton claims they wanted to get Christian Colon back on the big club, which didn't leave room for Danny. They like Colon's approach (he's viewed as more mature than most young players and is a budding star).

I'm a  bit perplexed about the Kratz component of this deal. Yes, he was hitting well at AAA, but the Royals' pitchers like Hayes and respect the way he calls games when Salvy isn't in the lineup. (Plus, Kratz is 34; Hayes is 30). Not only that, why trade for Kratz when Pena's OPS at Omaha is .862 and he has 22 homers so far?

As far as Ibanez goes, the Royals say he's a huge plus in the clubhouse.

And we get a pitcher who will not provide any relevance this season.

Time will tell. I'm not thrilled at all with this deal, but am glad to see Colon back in KC.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
so sick of the clubhouse/ibanez talking point. you have three all stars in your locker room if you are looking for leadership you start there not someone that isnt going to help you on the field

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: July 29, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
When is Vargas supposed to be back? It was just an appendectomy. Lets go!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
When is Vargas supposed to be back? It was just an appendectomy. Lets go!
he has thrown two simulations so I would guess next week

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: July 29, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
This deal was about coddling Dayton's boy Moose. Remember the #1 rule about Dayton moves: if it's tough to tell what the reasoning was based on the players involved, then see if it benefits Hosmer or Moose in some way. It will.

Also, I just got around to reading this bit by Rany on our guy Billy. Now, you know that I defend Billy and I certainly hope his weekend power surge continues for everyone's benefit (and so that we can bring him back for a productive next year), but this made me just a little more concerned. I still expect to see Billy leave the Royals and then have some solid (and increased power) seasons elsewhere, sort of a poor man's David Ortiz situation when he went from the Twins to the BoSox.

Quote from: Rany
DH: And finally there’s everyone’s favorite punching bag, from Caller Todd on line one to Ned Yost. Billy Butler is hitting .269/.320/.348. He has three home runs. He has grounded in 14 double plays. He was Jayson Stark’s pick for the AL Least Valuable Player in the first half. He’s been terrible.

I’m not completely convinced he’s done, but I’m growing more convinced by the day. Yeah, he’s only 28, and even slow overweight unathletic guys usually can hang on until they’re 30. But while Butler isn’t unusually overweight, he is unusually slow and (seemingly) unathletic; even at his best he had literally one baseball skill. I wish it wasn’t so, but this looks like the beginning of the end for Butler. Remember, this slump didn’t come out of nowhere – last season he hit .289/.374/.412, his lowest batting and particularly slugging numbers since 2008. He kept his on-base percentage high by being more selective at the plate, but now that pitchers don’t fear his power anymore, they’re just pouring strikes over the plate and he’s been unable to adjust.

Ben Grieve was Rookie of the Year at age 22. At age 24 he hit 40 doubles and 27 homers. That winter the A’s traded him to Tampa Bay in the three-team deal that brought Angel Berroa and Roberto Hernandez to Kansas City and sent Mark Ellis and Johnny Damon to Oakland. As usual, Billy Beane picked the perfect time to trade Grieve; at age 26 he hit just .251/.353/.432, and he was done as a full-time player by the time he turned 27.

Billy Butler hit .313 with 29 homers just two years ago. It doesn’t seem like he should be done. I don’t want him to be done. But he might be done. And with a $12.5 million option for next year looming, his time in Kansas City is almost certainly done.

So the question is, can you improve upon him? If the question is “can you improve upon his performance in the first half”, the answer is unequivocally “yes” – Butler is a below replacement-level player this season, and that’s the very definition of what replacement level means. But they don’t need someone better – they need someone MUCH better, is why futzing around with Raul Ibanez is so pointless. This is where Rios or Byrd would fit better, if they just slotted those guys in at DH and left Dyson to roam the outfield.

The rumors that the Mariners are still interested in Billy Butler seem too good to be true, but it’s been well known that the Mariners have had their eye on Butler for years; their interest in him was compared by a trustworthy source to Dayton Moore’s interest in Jeff Francoeur, which is to say it’s almost inevitable that he’ll end up there in some capacity at some point. Maybe my dream of snatching Nick Franklin away from Seattle is unrealistic, although there’s no question they’ve soured on him. But if the Royals can get something – anything – for Butler at the same time that they replace him with an upgrade, they should do it. Yeah, Butler may help Seattle, and the Royals are chasing Seattle in the standings, but given the way he’s hit this year he’s equally likely to hurt them.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: July 29, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
stopped reading at "three home runs" :zzz:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:21 AM »
stopped reading at "three home runs" :zzz:

Update:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
this is a pretty dumb thing to feel strongly either way about...
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
More than likely, Valencia wanted traded anyway.   Royals are not going to do anything but keep playing Moose at this point.  They probably don't see Hayes as a long time backup because he can't hit for crap.  So, they go get a backup catcher that they will probably just cut at the end of the end of the year since they have Pena, and get a prospect pitcher and that leaves them room to bring Colon up.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15060 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
More than likely, Valencia wanted traded anyway.   Royals are not going to do anything but keep playing Moose at this point.  They probably don't see Hayes as a long time backup because he can't hit for crap.  So, they go get a backup catcher that they will probably just cut at the end of the end of the year since they have Pena, and get a prospect pitcher and that leaves them room to bring Colon up.

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PLATOON PLAYER BUT THE ROYALS CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE BASEBALL HAS IMAGINARY TRADITIONS THAT NED YOST MUST UPHOLD

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: July 29, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »
Ned Yost is an idiot.  I love when he stated that Royals can't play small ball because that is not their game.  What?  So big hitting is?  Dambass.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: July 29, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »
Ned Yost is an idiot.  I love when he stated that Royals can't play small ball because that is not their game.  What?  So big hitting is?  Dambass.
:D

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
I'd like to see what Dave Eiland can do with the guy who started the AAA All Star game. I do think that there is a reason 2 teams have given up on him though.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: July 29, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
I'd like to see what Dave Eiland can do with the guy who started the AAA All Star game. I do think that there is a reason 2 teams have given up on him though.
We just signed our own version of crash davis. :sigh:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: July 29, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »

Or maybe we got Nuke Laloosh  :gocho:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: July 29, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

Or maybe we got Nuke Laloosh  :gocho:
:eek:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
I'm not so sure our "window" ends this year, are you guys?

I don't think it does mocat (more like budcat). Duffy and Ventura should have us cautiously optimistic about the next 2 to 3 years

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
guys were hot and we have minnesota after an off day. were gonna win this series, possibly sweep, and be right back at the top of this wild card deal.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
Less than a sweep will be a (slight) failure. Losing 2 would be a disaster.
:adios:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: July 29, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
Less than a sweep will be a (slight) failure. Losing 2 would be a disaster.

We need a sweep. We're heading to Oakland Friday.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: July 29, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
I'm feeling a sweep boys! You know why? Cause I just feel it. Also, if mustard wins the race tonight, we'll win the series vs the A's. Be on the look out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: July 29, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »
Andy McCullough?@McCulloughStar·28m
So the option was either DFA Ibanez and receive nothing, or turn Valencia into something. They chose the latter route.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: July 29, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Cain batting 8th again today. Jesus Ned.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: July 29, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Gardenhire has a better arguing style than Ned IMO.