Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1498785 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS KINGDOM, REID DAWN RISING, SEA OF RED, ARROWHEAD PRIDE
« Reply #6000 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
Basically I'm less concerned with the results of any single year unless its a division winner or we win some playoff games. I'll sit through some 6 or 7 win seasons if it looks like we're building towards a team that could make a super bowl

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »
Basically I'm less concerned with the results of any single year unless its a division winner or we win some playoff games. I'll sit through some 6 or 7 win seasons if it looks like we're building towards a team that could make a super bowl

I'll agree with this being the peak not being acceptable.  The standard for any team should be to compete for championships and although last year was a pretty good season, we were not really competing for a championship.  That said, fixing the team will take some time.  Overall, I think they have done an excellent job. 

I think their only real mistake was extending Dwayne Bowe who has never played consistently enough to deserve it.  Also, although I don't hate Alex Smith, I think they probably overpaid when they could have gotten him for a 2 and a 3 or 2 and 4. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
I don't think the team got better this off-season tho?  Really (for me) the only bright spot is the kid from Oregon.  I think this team suffers a setback this year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: July 28, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
The Hunt Family Formula:  Always try to look like you're building towards the Super Bowl.

The question that has to be asked is:  Which will come first, the 50th Anniversary Super Bowl appearance, or the 3rd Super Bowl appearance by the Chiefs?

I'm thinking they'll be double checking the ADA access to the field for the halftime ceremony before another Lombardi trophy makes its way into the Chiefs offices.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
The Hunt Family Formula:  Always try to look like you're building towards the Super Bowl.

The question that has to be asked is:  Which will come first, the 50th Anniversary Super Bowl appearance, or the 3rd Super Bowl appearance by the Chiefs?

I'm thinking they'll be double checking the ADA access to the field for the halftime ceremony before another Lombardi trophy makes its way into the Chiefs offices.

meh. I love the "They don't REALLY want a super bowl, they just want to LOOK like they're trying." For the most part, outside of the Gunther/Hayley eras, they've tried, but just been mired in a sea of average QBs.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »

meh. I love the "They don't REALLY want a super bowl, they just want to LOOK like they're trying." For the most part, outside of the Gunther/Hayley eras, they've tried, but just been mired in a sea of average QBs.

Golly CF3, who is responsible for that "sea of average QB's"?

When it's been nearly 5 decades since the last Super Bowl, and nearly 25 years since the last playoff win, all questions are on the table.   Particularly in a league that does everything it can to lift all boats.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
Drafting promising QBs in the first round would be cheaper than chasing average backup QBs on other teams. It's not like the Chiefs are just being cheap to get to 10 wins. I think they are just terrified of a draft pick blowing up in their face and fielding an awful team as a result. They take assured mediocrity every time if the alternative involves any risk at all.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »

Golly CF3, who is responsible for that "sea of average QB's"?

When it's been nearly 5 decades since the last Super Bowl, and nearly 25 years since the last playoff win, all questions are on the table.   Particularly in a league that does everything it can to lift all boats.

I liked how Dax rounded 20 up to 25.

Yeah its on the Hunts/GMs that we haven't had an elite QB since Lenny the cool, but I really doubt they've been passing up on elite QBs for average ones in an elaborate ruse to hoodwink fans into thinking they're trying for a Super Bowl, but they're really just trying for a wild card playoff spot. They're not that smart.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
If they win a super bowl, they will make more money.  They have to spend due to salary cap rules.  I really don't get why anybody would think they are not trying.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »
I never said it's an elaborate ruse, I am saying that the Chiefs are an organization that takes the less expensive most conservative route on the most important position(s) in terms of actually doing something in the post season.    This has been shown time and time and time again.   Also, when we're talking 4.5 decades and almost 2.5 decades in terms of post season/championship ineptitude, the numbers are getting so large, you might as well round up.

The Chiefs were 2-4 in the AFC West last year, and had what?  1 win against a playoff team?   

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: July 28, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »
They would've been 3-3 and 2 wins against playoff teams had they either given a crap in San Diego or the last play been officiated properly.

There is no less expensive route.  The most expensive thing for a football team is their players and all NFL teams are required to be at something like 90% of the cap.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
They would've been 3-3 and 2 wins against playoff teams had they either given a crap in San Diego or the last play been officiated properly.

There is no less expensive route.  The most expensive thing for a football team is their players and all NFL teams are required to be at something like 90% of the cap.

So in other words, spending money stupidly.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
The chiefs did draft a qb this year, dorks. I mean, stop beating that talking point to death. Yes, They should chase something in the first round sometime, but I didn't like anything that was left on the table this year. Geno Smith is going to suck, so not chasing him was a good move. Picking fisher was not however. I know the russel wilsons and tom bradys of the world are the exception not the rule, but it could happen.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
The chiefs did draft a gb this year dorks. I mean, stop beating that talking point to death. Yes, They should chase something in the first round sometime, but I didn't like anything that was left on the table this year. Geno Smith is going to suck, so not chasing him was a good move. Picking fisher was not however. I know the russel wilsons and tom bradys of the world are the exception not the rule, but it could happen.

Who would've you taken #1 instead of Fisher?  Trading the pick wasn't really an option as there was nobody anyone cared about that early.  It was just the worst draft ever to have the #1.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
The chiefs did draft a gb this year dorks. I mean, stop beating that talking point to death. Yes, They should chase something in the first round sometime, but I didn't like anything that was left on the table this year. Geno Smith is going to suck, so not chasing him was a good move. Picking fisher was not however. I know the russel wilsons and tom bradys of the world are the exception not the rule, but it could happen.

Who would've you taken #1 instead of Fisher?  Trading the pick wasn't really an option as there was nobody anyone cared about that early.  It was just the worst draft ever to have the #1.
Oh, I agree. I don't know who I would have taken. I can't even remember who was in that draft besides Geno Smith's busted ass.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »
It was pretty genius to hire Romeo so they'd do so poorly with a good roster setting them up with a high pick for a new coach.  To bad the draft talent sucked.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: July 28, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
fanning, i've been over this. they could have taken aaron rodgers instead of derrick johnson. colin kaepernick instead of jonathan baldwin. russel wilson instead of donald stephenson..

that's just off the top of my head.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
fanning, i've been over this. they could have taken aaron rodgers instead of derrick johnson. colin kaepernick instead of jonathan baldwin. russel wilson instead of donald stephenson..

that's just off the top of my head.
So could have a lot of other teams. Rodgers was questionable coming out of college. Colin and Russel were later round picks. We've taken our shots in those rounds before. I mean, your examples are very rare.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:25 AM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »

Someone needs to photoshop him holding a newspaper with today's date.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: July 28, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
Everyone glossed over Emo being a white Sox fan too. Good grief
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »

Everyone glossed over Emo being a white Sox fan too. Good grief

dr dre sock.  we're so blessed

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »
I should've seen it coming with all the gun stuff

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: July 28, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Dre and Cube only started wearing Sox and Kings gear because Al Davis declined to pay NWA for wearing Raiders gear and making their clothing so popular.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:20:21 AM by Metalhead »

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:13 PM »
Other than the truly elite QBs, in today's NFL you can't expect to just draft a QB and have them lead you to the Super Bowl. The Chiefs could have taken any number of QBs in the last decade and some I really wish they had, but none of them would have gotten us a Super Bowl win or even an appearance.

Take the three listed earlier (Rogers, Kaepernick, and Wilson). There's a pretty common theme to all of them. They where drafted after quality teams had already been built. Are all three great QBs? Sure (I'm not sold on Kaep completely, I think he's good not great) but none of them would make the Chiefs much more than they are right now. They might win a playoff game which would be nice but if that's your real goal there's something wrong.

I agree that I hope last year wasn't the pinnacle. I also hope last year didn't unreasonably raise expectations for this year and next. There's still a ton of holes on the roster and some bad contracts. The Chiefs need a couple drafts to stockpile young, cheap talent then they need to really start looking for a QB that fits with that talent that can be plugged in and develop with them.