Author Topic: It's Venables  (Read 52087 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: It's Venables
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »
Let me try this again

I've heard there are more than two or three college football coaches out there, not sure about that though.

The funny thing is, even a few weeks ago when the program seemed like a total crap storm, people still talked about just those names because of K-State ties.

Why the hell does no one want to branch out of the Snyder tree for a complete culture change? (I actually believe Venzy would bring that, I feel Sean and Leavitt would keep most of the staff and it would be status quo until they fail)

Is it as simple as our dumbass fan base responding with, "Ron Prince"?
I'm not what the basis for your opinion regarding Leavitt's (or sean's) staff. 

But I think a huge portion of our fanbase believes what Snyder did here was "special" and acknowledge that K-State's HC position presents unique challenges (mostly due to real or perceived recruiting difficulties).  To that end, they would prefer someone with Snyder ties who has at least a modicum of first hand experience of "what it takes to win at K-State." 

I don't really think that's a "dumbass" point of view.  Especially when we have a number of very qualified guys who fit that description.

I mean, you're definitely right. Leavitt and Brent are qualified, and I think you make Venzy say no first before truly starting an open national search. But I feel like most of our fans automatically default to Leavitt or Sean because of the "knows what it takes to win at K-State" quality, before even being open to giving someone else a chance.

I guess I just have a distorted view of the K-State job and actually think Bill himself has removed most of the deficiencies people talk about with the K-State job. And that opens it up to many many other great candidates outside of his own tree that our fans (and hell, maybe even admin) would overlook/not even give a look. Which I think is a huge mistake (dumbass point of view is probably the wrong term)

Probably doesn't even matter though, I'm an idiot and probably won't even be able to work a computer by the time Snyder actually decides to retire and there's an opening.

It's not dumb, it's just lazy and 98% of college football fans don't really follow programs outside of their own so they don't know what's out there. And I completely agree with you that K-State is a completely different job than it was even in 2009. When Snyder came back we were still at a decided resource disadvantage, we don't have that anymore. The gap between college football haves and have nots is smaller than it ever has been and continuing to shrink. Now there is a small group of college football elite then everyone else.

Bama pays Saban over $11m per year.  Lowest power 5 conference coach $1.6m.  That's a pretty big gap.  Median is probably around $3.5m, so a crap ton of P5 schools probably can't get approval to pay more than around $3m.  This is a pretty big moat for the have's.

Did you stop reading where you bolded? Alabama certainly is an elite program. There are no power 5 schools that can't pay a coach $3.5 million if they wanted to. Maybe Boston College and Wake, maybe but everyone else can, including Kansas.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
LOL...i actually did stop reading after the bolded part.  my bad. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2018, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
welp?  it means nothing.  we will easily eclipse $2.32M per year with our HC offer.  sources i talk to put our number closer to $4.5M per year

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
I'm just curious about the payout. I also don't even think he's a real candidate for us anymore.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
I'm just curious about the payout. I also don't even think he's a real candidate for us anymore.

"Just as importantly, there's no buyout for Venables if he takes a head coaching job elsewhere. However, if Venables leaves for another assistant job, he will pay 25 percent of the remaining part of his deal. "

He may not be a real candidate, but that contract does absolutely nothing to change whether he was or still is.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
Fair. Still pretty impressive one of our guys is the highest paid assistant in the game. #RESPECT

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »
welp?  it means nothing.  we will easily eclipse $2.32M per year with our HC offer.  sources i talk to put our number closer to $4.5M per year

Only $4.5M?  Your sources stink bub because that's insulting.  Why don't you read the thread about the East Coast donor who is ready to throw down gazillions when Snides gets his crap together.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
Bill knows that Venables is the #1 choice for next HC, not Sean. He's waiting for Venables to take HC job before he retires. It's not working out for Bill or Sean.

This deal for Venables at Clemson is actually good for us. He gets paid a crap-ton as DC so will only leave to be HC at his choice ( :ksu:) and he doesn't have a buyout, allowing us to use that "buyout" money for his HC contract.

*100% speculation and absolutley what I want.

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
For the last couple years I've been dreaming of Venables as the next coach, but gave the dream up. Curious what others think about the possibility of Andre Coleman or Blake Seiler as the head coach in a couple years. If one of them kicks ass at O or D coordinator, I think I would be ok with either one.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
We have momentum.  We can't afford take a chance, IMO.  If we can put the money together to offer a coach $4-$5 mil a year like we can right now, we should make a (medium sized) splash after Bill.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
We have momentum.  We can't afford take a chance, IMO.  If we can put the money together to offer a coach $4-$5 mil a year like we can right now, we should make a (medium sized) splash after Bill.
We finished behind Iowa state last year

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »
Financial momentum.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
We finished behind Iowa state last year
Ummm, we didn't https://www.ncaa.com/standings/football/fbs/big-12

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »
my mistake we def have momentum

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
Not saying that, just never want to give that shitty school credit in anything. We also won head to head.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
who on earth would ever think we finished behind Iowa State?  holy crap we could blow up the team and still finish ahead of that loser

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »
Pretty amazing to think that Iowa State is coming off of their best year ever and we still outperformed them in a down year.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
yeah finishing tied with iowa state in the standings usually means they caught some breaks and we fing sucked

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
Bill knows that Venables is the #1 choice for next HC, not Sean. He's waiting for Venables to take HC job before he retires. It's not working out for Bill or Sean.

I'd be willing to bet at least half of K-State fans actually believe this. Bill is coaching because Bill wants to coach. It's pretty easy did him to set Sean up for the job without waiting for anyone else.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »
The idea that Bill is making any decisions about his own football future based on rough ridin' Brent Venables is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)-o.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »

I'd be willing to bet at least half of K-State fans actually believe this. Bill is coaching because Bill wants to coach. It's pretty easy did him to set Sean up for the job without waiting for anyone else.

One of the worst strategies Bill could take if he wanted Sean to take over would be to keep coaching as his health continues to deteriorate and he loses influence because he's close to death.  An 80+ year old weak from cancer isn't going to have much influence over anything. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »

One of the worst strategies Bill could take if he wanted Sean to take over would be to keep coaching as his health continues to deteriorate and he loses influence because he's close to death.  An 80+ year old weak from cancer isn't going to have much influence over anything.

lol wut?  Do you think Bill is like a Klingon and has to constantly fight off physical challenges to his head coaching position?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
the mustang was brought in to be the king’s hand

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »

lol wut?  Do you think Bill is like a Klingon and has to constantly fight off physical challenges to his head coaching position?

As Bill gets older & weaker, he'll have less influence because it will be known he won't be around.  If he wanted to make a power play to install Sean, waiting isn't his best choice.  Not to be too insensitive, but one of these off seasons the cancer, treatment he went through and age are going to catch up to him and before he knows it he'll be the quite, weak old guy shuffling around or in a wheel chair.  When that happens, the amount people that are going to care about his opinion and worry about his influence is going to drastically drop.  Right or wrong, the optics matter when someone in their 80s suddenly has their age catch up to them.  If Bill truly wants Sean, he still has a lot of campaiging for it & people with influence to convince.  Or retire in 6 weeks and pray Sean get the interim with 2 new coordinators & the team goes 8-4 or better.

I don't think it's about Sean anyway.  It's not some grand plan.  He's coaching because it's what he enjoys.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:28:14 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls