Author Topic: MLB master thread(non-Royals related) (no longer the official Mets thread)  (Read 213240 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the braves bats are heating up gents. only a matter of time until we get no hit

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile

barving is not a verb, it's a way of life

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24532868/bryce-harper-benched-for-lack-of-hustle-despite-quad-injury

At least jog it out 90 ft. Good grief

A pet peeve of Pete Rose. Run 'em all out. (No, I don't believe Pete should be in the HOF. Gamble on the game, then lie about it, you're out. But he had the right idea about hustling on the field).

BTW, glad to see this new thread, TBT.

You and I have very different views on Charlie Hustle's spot in the hall.   Dude never gambled against his team.

Not gambling for his team is essentially betting against his team, his gambling was illegal betting it isn't such a leap for him to have an agreement that stated implied or otherwise that if he didn't place a bet then the bookies are to assume that it is the same as betting against the Reds. That being said his gambling and lying had nothing to do with how he was as a player.

this book came out a few months back. it's fantastic. a really thorough look at rose as a player and person. while reading it, i found it really easy to understand where both sides are coming from. ultimately, i think he should be in the hall.

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why does Pete Rose want to be in the Hall of Fame so bad? He's way more famous because of the controversy than he would be for being in the Hall of Fame.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why does Pete Rose want to be in the Hall of Fame so bad? He's way more famous because of the controversy than he would be for being in the Hall of Fame.

Because his entire life has been devoted to baseball, I'm sure he'd rather be involved with baseball and all things baseball hall of famers get to do instead of answering to unauthorized biographies and the subject of 60 Minutes stories.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

barving is not a verb, it's a way of life
got pretty well crap on last night. Freddy is worse than ned

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile

Because his entire life has been devoted to baseball, I'm sure he'd rather be involved with baseball and all things baseball hall of famers get to do instead of answering to unauthorized biographies and the subject of 60 Minutes stories.

Yep.
Hall of Fame is the ultimate validation. He'd be less famous more validated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Guys Tony Gwynn is dead :bawl: I need a hug

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

MIR he was Cal Ripken without the hype. Just the best. I saw him IRL at fan fest in 2012, he did not look good. One of my favs as a young man along with Kirby Puckett.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile

sorry MIR. :frown: :hug:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
I loved him as a young kid. Just thought he was such a pure hitter... Sad day
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

MIR he was Cal Ripken without the hype. Just the best. I saw him IRL at fan fest in 2012, he did not look good. One of my favs as a young man along with Kirby Puckett.

In middle and high school my favorite athletes were
Joe Carter
Kirby Puckett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Tony Gwynn

I loved (love) baseball so much

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Joe Carter
Kirby Puckett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Tony Gwynn

I umpired a game where Joe Carter was the coach. If you're looking for a story about him being a huge jerk, you won't find it here because he was a fantastic guy. He was teaching his team the game, coaching, instead of yelling at umpires and kids like some of these idiot dads would do.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Joe Carter
Kirby Puckett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Tony Gwynn

man we are same, throw in eric davis ozzie and the kid and wow

dipping sucks and i really should quit

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Jayson Stark
@jaysonst
 I have a blog of awesome Tony Gwynn numbers coming soon. But how bout this: 129 AB vs. Maddux & Pedro . . . ZERO strikeouts

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
1 3 strikeout game in his career. 8 seasons with less than 20 strikeouts. wow.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
that's unbelievable. there isn't a single guy playing today who will ever do that.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
his career OBP is .388, which is absolutely unfathomable

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
5 Gold Gloves
319 steals
Only player in last 80 years to hit .338 career with 300 steals
297 3 hit games

• He had three different seasons in which he hit .370 or higher. In the 73 years since Ted Williams last hit .400, all the other hitters who passed through the big leagues -- a group that includes Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Wade Boggs, yadda, yadda, yadda -- combined to do it only eight times.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11092617/mlb-late-tony-gwynn-incredible-hitting-numbers

Drafted in the NBA by Clippers.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
5 Gold Gloves
319 steals
Only player in last 80 years to hit .338 career with 300 steals
297 3 hit games

• He had three different seasons in which he hit .370 or higher. In the 73 years since Ted Williams last hit .400, all the other hitters who passed through the big leagues -- a group that includes Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Wade Boggs, yadda, yadda, yadda -- combined to do it only eight times.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11092617/mlb-late-tony-gwynn-incredible-hitting-numbers

Drafted in the NBA by Clippers.

:surprised:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Joe Carter
Kirby Puckett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Tony Gwynn

I umpired a game where Joe Carter was the coach. If you're looking for a story about him being a huge jerk, you won't find it here because he was a fantastic guy. He was teaching his team the game, coaching, instead of yelling at umpires and kids like some of these idiot dads would do.

He and both of my parents grew up together; lived in the same neighborhood and went to the same school. He married my dad's cousin.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Kershaw has a perfect game bid in the seventh

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Edit: eff you Hanley Ramirez.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

Edit: eff you Hanley Ramirez.

that name sounds made up

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:

Wow, talk about low baseball IQ.

Pete Rose would be just as famous without the controversy. Ask just about any middle aged man who would be in there top 5 from back then and Pete Rose will come up about every time.

There's a man in my office that said he stopped watching MLB after Rose retired.

Rose had a motor that extended to all facets of the game.