Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4060017 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29900 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:18 AM »
live sports viewership is declining and there's no bubble?  that math doesn't work.

There has been absolutely no evidence that the people who are bidding on live sports rights see less value in live sports.

yes there is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-06/tv-networks-forced-to-give-away-ads-as-nfl-viewership-declines

And like I said people bidding on the games still see the value. Did you miss Amazon Prime paying $50 million for Thursday night streaming rights? That was five times more than what twitter paid last year. As long as there are multiple entities wanting these games, the price will continue to climb outside of COLUSION occurring to artificially draw back the fees.
Prime vs. Twitter has more to do with international viewing than US viewing since it is only for games that are already available on OTA channels. Amazon allows for both viewing on a TV and mobile device, something Twitter couldn't do.

Also, $50M to Amazon is pocket change so it's worth the experiment.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29901 on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
NFL viewership declined because the games are boring, over officiated and formulaic
Or because of the election, because their #'s spiked back up after it was done. Sorry Cam sucked last year, bud.  :frown:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29902 on: May 03, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
NFL viewership declined because the games are boring, over officiated and formulaic
and every where on every channel, every night

interest in live action sports has peaked and the millennial generation who prefers on demand content will dictate the very near future of media consumption

Consuming sports "on demand" hasn't and won't work. If you have no social media and live on a oil platform in the gulf it's the bees knees though.

despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you're going to hold your ground.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29903 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
Or because of the election, because their #'s spiked back up after it was done. Sorry Cam sucked last year, bud.  :frown:

WackyTuck gonna WackyTuck.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29906 on: May 03, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Yes the NFL rebounded after the election but was still down Y-o-Y.

Plus they didn't include Thur night in the ratings, which are games that are unwatchable.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29907 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
Because of fantasy dorks, even when NFL ratings are down, they're still crushing it economically. It's a stupid thing to argue about, but i'm sure the numbers will rise this year. After the Chiefs are done tho, I usually change my programming.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29908 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Because of fantasy dorks, even when NFL ratings are down, they're still crushing it economically. It's a stupid thing to argue about, but i'm sure the numbers will rise this year. After the Chiefs are done tho, I usually change my programming.

Didn't realize we were talking economics.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:27:34 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #29909 on: May 03, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
haven't been in this thread for a long time.. is this just where people dump crap that they don't want to start a new thread about now?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29910 on: May 03, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
live sports viewership is declining and there's no bubble?  that math doesn't work.

There has been absolutely no evidence that the people who are bidding on live sports rights see less value in live sports.

yes there is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-06/tv-networks-forced-to-give-away-ads-as-nfl-viewership-declines

And like I said people bidding on the games still see the value. Did you miss Amazon Prime paying $50 million for Thursday night streaming rights? That was five times more than what twitter paid last year. As long as there are multiple entities wanting these games, the price will continue to climb outside of COLUSION occurring to artificially draw back the fees.
Prime vs. Twitter has more to do with international viewing than US viewing since it is only for games that are already available on OTA channels. Amazon allows for both viewing on a TV and mobile device, something Twitter couldn't do.

Also, $50M to Amazon is pocket change so it's worth the experiment.

Yeah, that's my point. These companies continue to spend an exorbitant amount of money for these rights fees because they can. There was no reason for Amazon, or anyone else to bid 5x the previous winning bid from just a season before.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29911 on: May 03, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
and every where on every channel, every night

interest in live action sports has peaked and the millennial generation who prefers on demand content will dictate the very near future of media consumption

Consuming sports "on demand" hasn't and won't work. If you have no social media and live on a oil platform in the gulf it's the bees knees though.

despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you're going to hold your ground.

I'm not sure why you quoted this post to make your point considering I didn't offer an argument against yours. What you said about how people, not just Millennials, are starting to consume television is correct. It is also correct that watching live sports on demand has not, and likely won't ever work. If you want to argue we can go back to you claiming that the bubble has burst despite the fact that not one single major American sports league or conference has seen a reduction in the rights fees paid to them.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29912 on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »
If you want to argue we can go back to you claiming that the bubble has burst despite the fact that not one single major American sports league or conference has seen a reduction in the rights fees paid to them.

it's easy to make that argument when we're outside of any major sport negotiating window.
our current major sports' contract terms-
nfl: 2014-2022
nba: 2015-2025
mlb: 2014-2022

these were all negotiated and signed before the impact of cable/cord cutters was acknowledged by the cable companies and the rights owners

the only major sport contract that could be close to being renegotiated is the premier league's deal and it's not even up until 2019 and it's catering to a different (european) market

the facts that really aren't up for debate-
fewer people are watching live television and inside of that number, fewer people are watching live sports.  the most important demographic, the next generation of content viewers, watch the majority of their content on demand. 

advertising rates are going follow the market demographics and rights fees are based upon advertising revenue generated by advertising rates which are generated by viewers

until the next generation of media consumption is figured out, claiming that there is no bubble or that the bubble isn't leaking certainly isn't a bet that any television executive who wants to keep their job would make.

*yes the ncaa contract was extended in '16 through 2032

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29913 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
If you want to argue we can go back to you claiming that the bubble has burst despite the fact that not one single major American sports league or conference has seen a reduction in the rights fees paid to them.

it's easy to make that argument when we're outside of any major sport negotiating window.
our current major sports' contract terms-
nfl: 2014-2022
nba: 2015-2025
mlb: 2014-2022

these were all negotiated and signed before the impact of cable/cord cutters was acknowledged by the cable companies and the rights owners

the only major sport contract that could be close to being renegotiated is the premier league's deal and it's not even up until 2019 and it's catering to a different (european) market

the facts that really aren't up for debate-
fewer people are watching live television and inside of that number, fewer people are watching live sports.  the most important demographic, the next generation of content viewers, watch the majority of their content on demand. 

advertising rates are going follow the market demographics and rights fees are based upon advertising revenue generated by advertising rates which are generated by viewers

until the next generation of media consumption is figured out, claiming that there is no bubble or that the bubble isn't leaking certainly isn't a bet that any television executive who wants to keep their job would make.

*yes the ncaa contract was extended in '16 through 2032

I don't disagree with any of that, I guess we'll see. I don't see how this will be drawn back given we're talking about multiple, multi billion dollar media conglomerates competing for properties they don't want to lose. ESPN knew their MNF deal was bad but they still did it because they can't be ESPN and not have the NFL.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29914 on: May 04, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
At least our talent level is keeping up with the AAC.

The AAC had 15 players drafted, one more than the Big 12. Still, the Big 12 and AAC combined had six fewer players drafted than any other power conference.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/227919874/big-12-struggles-nfl-draft-texas-oklahoma

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29915 on: May 04, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
The blame should be squarely on OU and UT. It appears to me that their 'cruiting is sub par and others in the conference are has actually increase.*

* no data to back this up just spit ball'n

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29916 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
Big 12 is the smallest P5 isn't it? That plus Texas being down is a pretty obvious reason for the crappy numbers.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29917 on: May 04, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
Lol, take out Bama and then what does the SEC look like.  Tide have had 6 times as many players drafted as Auburn during the Gus era.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29918 on: May 04, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
At least our talent level is keeping up with the AAC.

The AAC had 15 players drafted, one more than the Big 12. Still, the Big 12 and AAC combined had six fewer players drafted than any other power conference.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/227919874/big-12-struggles-nfl-draft-texas-oklahoma

man that is embarrassing

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29919 on: May 04, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #29920 on: May 04, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29921 on: May 04, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #29922 on: May 04, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »

What exactly am I looking at here

A very poorly communicated data set

I think this graph really brings it all into perspective

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29923 on: May 04, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »

A very poorly communicated data set

I think this graph really brings it all into perspective

what team is the wins/attendance thing for? Also, woof at B12 talent.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29924 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »

My mistake.

Pie chart is 2017 draft picks by conference and the bar chart is the 20 schools with the most picks in the 2017 draft.