Author Topic: Makol Mawien  (Read 96564 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Makol Mawein
« Reply #425 on: March 19, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »
never seen anyone have such a time trying to feed the post, the passes were awful, and makol struggled posting up in a way that he could catch the pass

Real ones remember Big Meat on the block.

My first thought was to Mike telling Andre Gilbert "post passes are a bitch" after he literally threw the Oregon game away.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 19, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
My guy/gal cat97 is consistent, come in and complain that Mak was mentioned in non glowing ways but avoids the actual critique leveled.

He did hit two huge FTs in the second half.

Critrique seemed to target Mawiens inability to catch post passes and his breakdowns on help defense.  I addressed both.  Does not mean you agree with me. 
Now we have Weber claiming Mawien is one of the best ball screen defenders in the country and Lowrey saying Mac is a great ball screen defender.  Both those guys actually know more about defense than I do.  You don't have to agree with them either.

The biggest concern is Mawien getting in early foul trouble against Kentucky but lately Mawien has avoided the moving screens and the arms in the defenders back going for rebounds.  If the refs keep allowing physical play like they have so far in this tournament, we may be OK against UK.

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 19, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
My guy/gal cat97 is consistent, come in and complain that Mak was mentioned in non glowing ways but avoids the actual critique leveled.

Critrique seemed to target Mawiens inability to catch post passes and his breakdowns on help defense.  I addressed both.  Does not mean you agree with me. 
Now we have Weber claiming Mawien is one of the best ball screen defenders in the country and Lowrey saying Mac is a great ball screen defender.  Both those guys actually know more about defense than I do.  You don't have to agree with them either.

The biggest concern is Mawien getting in early foul trouble against Kentucky but lately Mawien has avoided the moving screens and the arms in the defenders back going for rebounds.  If the refs keep allowing physical play like they have so far in this tournament, we may be OK against UK.

Maybe Love lll gets some time on the floor considering their size like he was used against Texas and Baylor.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »
LOL at Mawien being one of the best ball screen defenders in the country

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 19, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
Over the past year or so, I've grown to dislike lowery more than oscar.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »

I've praised him for the same thing, that doesn't mean that he didn't have two simply awful switches last night that led to 5 late points in a tight game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
He had a block or two when UMBC could have taken the lead that may have saved the game. He's become a much better rim protector than I ever imagined.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
On the Mak train til the day I fricking die guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
He had a block or two when UMBC could have taken the lead that may have saved the game. He's become a much better rim protector than I ever imagined.
Love clutch Mak blocks. Probably one of my favorite things in life right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 19, 2018, 10:47:01 PM »
he had a rough game.  i am still incredibly strong for him.  he's going to be a dominant player for us someday. hopefully he turns it on against kentucky.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:26 PM »
Mawien is the kind of player who would like never play for huggs for two seasons because of laziness and end up pretty ok. With oscar he'll probably always be lazy.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
Also I enjoy laughing at his awful plays

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:11 PM »
I am very hopeful about Mak.  He shows enthusiasm on defense enough to warrant hope that other parts improve.  His rebounding has gotten better and that transition drop step dunk could've gone wrong so many ways I can't even describe but he threw it down with authority.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:18 AM »
There is no doubt Mawiens ball screen defense is extremely good and a big part of why this team has become so good on defense.   I was surprised our help defense did not regress in the three games without Claws but it does suffer when Mawien is subbed out.   Some posters may disagree. 

We are in the sweet 16 because of our defense.  Just held a team to 43 points. 

Lets hope Mawien stays out of foul trouble against Kentucky. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 20, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »
we are quite a bit better with mawien than without. stockard is always out of place and 1/2 step behind. really going to need mawien against Kentucky.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
this team would be amaze with curtis kelly

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 20, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »
Don't know why people are bitching about Mawein. Want to complain? Lets talk about Stockard and how he didn't even show up to get on the plane.  About Love?  Is he even on the team?
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
Regarding Mawiens offense.  He is so bad the other team has had to double him the last two games.  KU tried later in the tournament game but screwed up their doubles and he went for 29.  Surprising they put such a poor player on All Big 12 tournament first team.  Doesn't really matter, we'll have to live with him against Kentucky. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #443 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
I am glad that someone on this board is finally willing to put these "critics" in their place.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
Don't know why people are bitching about Mawein. Want to complain? Lets talk about Stockard and how he didn't even show up to get on the plane.  About Love?  Is he even on the team?

No one is really bitching, just observing/laughing. he's an incredible athlete/body but extremely lazy at times and makes some incredibly laughable plays but would still play 30 minutes/game if no foul trouble.

I mean you ever wonder why folks are talking about Stokes's shooting instead of getting mad at Brian Patrick?

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 20, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
Mawein is the crap.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
this team would be amaze with curtis kelly

I think even JO puts it into the elite tier as well
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »
It sure is a fascinating coincidence that @cat97 signed up for gE the same day that Makol Mawien committed to Kansas State. 

I mean, he generally has pretty good basketball thoughts, but they are heavily focused on Mawien and seen through the rosiest colored glasses in existence.
:adios:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
:surprised:

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile