Author Topic: So...LSU  (Read 6200 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: So...LSU
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »

Also I don't think anyone reading this thread today thinks campus rape culture is/was purely a Baylor thing.

Mir, you make some good points otherwise, but that part is semi-offensive that you assume people who disagree with you only care about a game instead of victims.

I mean the threads are still there, it's not like I'm making this up, there was plenty of "only at Baylor and Penn State" talk going on.

Siete, it's has nothing to do with who agrees with me or doesn't, and your summation is an oversimplification. There are people on this very page who have said that they cared more about Baylor than what happened at LSU. That doesn't make these people inherently bad, but it's an implication that rooting interests has infiltrated the conversation about violence against women on campus, and while this very well may be human nature, I think we can all agree that rooting interests have no place in these conversations.
I guess by extension we should spend our whole time on this board talking about the Catholic Church or the Boy Scouts then? Those are far greater problems than the Baylor/Penn St/LSU issues. Rooting interests frame what we spend time and effort caring about, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.  If someone goes out of their way to say that Baylor’s violence against women is bad, and LSU’s is less bad, that is clearly dumb, but there isn’t a rule that we need to care equally.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
i’m just here to defend lsu and condemn baylor, just like everyone else here because of course we didn’t care about the victims and only were mad because baylor beat us in a football game

this thread is a sanctimonious pile of dogshit

You seem really mad, you good?
that's not really mad or mad
what did i type that allowed you to conclude that? 

i'm sure when you constructed this thread in your mind, it seemed like a better idea than how it came across to many of us though
which is fine, happens in the life of a pro-bbs'r

My only regret about this thread is that I didn't bump posts from other people that illustrated my point, but honestly it wasn't necessary and the overall sentiment that we're more comfortable dragging a conference foe, for whatever reason, is more important. I don't care that some people are offended or annoyed or whatever.

I've certainly said some mumped up things on this board including using the R word. If someone pointed it out, then it's whatever, being criticised for what I say isn't going to bother me in the least.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »

Also I don't think anyone reading this thread today thinks campus rape culture is/was purely a Baylor thing.

Mir, you make some good points otherwise, but that part is semi-offensive that you assume people who disagree with you only care about a game instead of victims.

I mean the threads are still there, it's not like I'm making this up, there was plenty of "only at Baylor and Penn State" talk going on.

Siete, it's has nothing to do with who agrees with me or doesn't, and your summation is an oversimplification. There are people on this very page who have said that they cared more about Baylor than what happened at LSU. That doesn't make these people inherently bad, but it's an implication that rooting interests has infiltrated the conversation about violence against women on campus, and while this very well may be human nature, I think we can all agree that rooting interests have no place in these conversations.
I guess by extension we should spend our whole time on this board talking about the Catholic Church or the Boy Scouts then? Those are far greater problems than the Baylor/Penn St/LSU issues. Rooting interests frame what we spend time and effort caring about, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.  If someone goes out of their way to say that Baylor’s violence against women is bad, and LSU’s is less bad, that is clearly dumb, but there isn’t a rule that we need to care equally.

You're 100% right about that, you don't have to care equally, it's not up to me or anyone else to determine how much someone should care about something.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »
I guess maybe I’m missing your point entirely then. It seems like you’ve said we do need to care just as much about LSU as we did about Baylor?  I’m saying that the rooting interests do (rightfully) have a part in the conversation.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »
@MIR, we honestly have no clue where this is coming from. Help us! Also, who did you know in the 2003 program to negate bliss, as a side piece to the Baylor program problem that year?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2020, 08:41:51 PM »
Also, go get me a login and password over at a LSU forum and I’ll bug the crap out of them tonight vs gE. Everybody wins. Report back ASAP. Make my username: wetwille, password: Swampass69
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:10:48 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
You son of a bitch
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
 :lol: ;)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:46 PM »
I guess maybe I’m missing your point entirely then. It seems like you’ve said we do need to care just as much about LSU as we did about Baylor?  I’m saying that the rooting interests do (rightfully) have a part in the conversation.

I do think everyone should care as much, whether it's at Baylor, LSU, or San Jose State. it's not my place to tell you to do so, I'm not your father. When I said earlier that I appreciate your candor, I meant it. I think that thought process is wrong and horribly flawed, but that doesn't make you a bad person or anything. I do think it's a lack of perspective IMO, but you are certainly entitled to your thoughts and I really appreciate you being honest about it.

I do think it's funny you have more than once expressed that you do take your rooting interests into account when discussing these things and like two or three posts later people are telling me that no one does this.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 10:33:11 PM »
i’m just here to defend lsu and condemn baylor, just like everyone else here because of course we didn’t care about the victims and only were mad because baylor beat us in a football game

i'm sure when you constructed this thread in your mind, it seemed like a better idea than how it came across to many of us though

My only regret about this thread is that I didn't bump posts from other people that illustrated my point, but honestly it wasn't necessary and the overall sentiment that we're more comfortable dragging a conference foe, for whatever reason, is more important. I don't care that some people are offended or annoyed or whatever.

I've certainly said some mumped up things on this board including using the R word. If someone pointed it out, then it's whatever, being criticised for what I say isn't going to bother me in the least.
that’s fair and I’m not at all upset by this thread.
i do think it is consistent with your take all along on the baylor issue regardless of how wrong I think that you are on it.  but definitely no reason to be mad. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2020, 10:45:13 PM »

I do think everyone should care as much, whether it's at Baylor, LSU, or San Jose State. it's not my place to tell you to do so, I'm not your father. When I said earlier that I appreciate your candor, I meant it. I think that thought process is wrong and horribly flawed, but that doesn't make you a bad person or anything. I do think it's a lack of perspective IMO, but you are certainly entitled to your thoughts and I really appreciate you being honest about it.

I do think it's funny you have more than once expressed that you do take your rooting interests into account when discussing these things and like two or three posts later people are telling me that no one does this.
I’m genuinely interested in this now, and I think my point is more nuanced than I’ve successfully conveyed thus far. I would honestly like to hear more of your view on this, if I come off as sarcastic it isn’t intended, and I blame bourbon.

I think that regardless of the location, violence against women, and the institutional coverup thereof. at any school (or non-school) is equally abhorrent. That would seemingly go without saying.  I think we may be missing each other on the distinction of caring something is happening vs wanting to discuss it on gE.

I am much more interested in discussing it when it is happening in a sports program we play multiple times a year.  If it was happening in the English dept at BC, I’d think that it was terrible, but probably wouldn’t spend much time BBSing about it.  If we want to discuss large scale societal problems, I think there is a limited utility in pointing towards singular points of incidence anyway. In a pseudo-parallel, does it really matter on the grand scale if we talk a ton about Sandy Hook and Columbine, but not X school shooting? 

Are we obligated to be express our outrage about all injustice in the universe, no matter how adjacent to our own lives?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 12:10:31 AM »

that’s fair and I’m not at all upset by this thread.
i do think it is consistent with your take all along on the baylor issue regardless of how wrong I think that you are on it.  but definitely no reason to be mad.

:cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 12:45:59 AM »

I’m genuinely interested in this now, and I think my point is more nuanced than I’ve successfully conveyed thus far. I would honestly like to hear more of your view on this, if I come off as sarcastic it isn’t intended, and I blame bourbon.

I think that regardless of the location, violence against women, and the institutional coverup thereof. at any school (or non-school) is equally abhorrent. That would seemingly go without saying.  I think we may be missing each other on the distinction of caring something is happening vs wanting to discuss it on gE.

I am much more interested in discussing it when it is happening in a sports program we play multiple times a year.  If it was happening in the English dept at BC, I’d think that it was terrible, but probably wouldn’t spend much time BBSing about it.  If we want to discuss large scale societal problems, I think there is a limited utility in pointing towards singular points of incidence anyway. In a pseudo-parallel, does it really matter on the grand scale if we talk a ton about Sandy Hook and Columbine, but not X school shooting? 

Are we obligated to be express our outrage about all injustice in the universe, no matter how adjacent to our own lives?

I think we may have reached the point where the forum in which this conversation doesn't allow for the nuance we need for this conversation, that was definitely a miscalculation on my part, but let's keep trying.

I think possibly we agree more than we disagree, a large jumping off point though is the newsworthiness to this and most college football fan bases. This isn't a D3 school in Virginia, it's the defending national champions. One of the accused was the best defensive player on that team and won the Thorpe Award. Ultimately my issue with how we viewed Baylor is not that people didn't care about the victims, but for a lot of people the story was about that this was substantial enough for Art Briles (name autocorrects to crimes) to no longer be kicking our asses, for many people the victims, the crimes, and learning from what happened was tertiary at best.

Of course there will be variance to how much one would care about victims and the crime based on proximity, sports or otherwise. I guess I'm glad that now five years later the conversation has moved beyond Art Briles bad.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »
I will say I think the national CFB media isn't giving it the attention it deserves. I really only follow national CFB news via twitter and there isn't the amount of chatter compared to what you might see from everyone watching #PXIIAfterDark

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »
I think a lot of that is outside of Yahoo, a lot of sports investigative media departments have been shuttered. Without the army of investigative reporters at ESPN, the Baylor and Michigan State stories don't get the publicity they did. The Ohio State wrestling story was also fairly quiet.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2020, 05:29:42 PM »
I think a lot of that is outside of Yahoo, a lot of sports investigative media departments have been shuttered. Without the army of investigative reporters at ESPN, the Baylor and Michigan State stories don't get the publicity they did. The Ohio State wrestling story was also fairly quiet.

I think it goes beyond that, like I didn't see anything discussing it from folks like Spencer Hall and Richard Johnson which was disappointing. maybe they discussed it on their SECTV show but nothing on twitter. Plenty of tweets about Muschamp though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:41:26 PM by michigancat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »

I think it goes beyond that, like I didn't see anything discussing it from folks like Spencer Hall and Richard Johnson which was disappointing it. maybe they discussed it on their SECTV show but nothing on twitter. Plenty of tweets about Muschamp though.

No chance

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
So they are going to get away with it huh
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best