Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 45789 times)

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #550 on: April 04, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
I'd just grab all 5 right off the bat and apologize for the table not having been cleared properly prior to their being seated.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 18, 2024, 11:43:39 PM »
it's a good question.  and happening at the same time as the non-tipped wage is also increasing.

https://twitter.com/CharlesFLehman/status/1781098254341472567
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 19, 2024, 01:47:25 AM »
Stop asking me to tip at jimmy John’s you stupid machine!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 19, 2024, 02:44:19 AM »
The last few weeks have been really great. I think I have only seen 1 tip screen and smashed that "non merci" button so hard
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 19, 2024, 06:44:42 AM »
It seems like it would be in a company's interest to increase the income of its employees without footing the bill for it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 19, 2024, 09:00:16 AM »
One that seems to be going in the opposite direction of the norm:  Starbucks. 

They incentivize you to use their app via free crap every so often, birthday drinks, etc.  The app used to ask you, after every purchase, how much you would like to tip.  They took that function away a year or so ago.  So now, you pay with the app, but if you don't have cash(lol, what's that) their employees get no tip.  Kinda wild. 

I assume they found some legal reason to stop doing this and just took the option away before they got sued, but who knows.  Given the tip environment everywhere else, this one is a head scratcher.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 19, 2024, 09:24:44 AM »
it's a good question.  and happening at the same time as the non-tipped wage is also increasing.

https://twitter.com/CharlesFLehman/status/1781098254341472567
I can probably think up a dozen theories, but I do wonder if there is an actual reason.

Taking out any ulterior motives, my main theory is due to consumers’ disdain at menu price increases, so restaurants basically have customers subsidize their employees’ wages in order to keep prices down.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 19, 2024, 09:31:30 AM »
Yeah, it's gotten pretty pervasive in Canada as well. It's small tips at Tim Hortons but still, 7% for a drive through or airport coffee order? Just seems ridiculous. And yeah most tip prompts here only start at 20% and go up from there.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 19, 2024, 09:36:22 AM »
I get a coffee at Einstein on the weekends as a treat for me. Love their dark roast. If you bring your own cup, its like 2 bucks so I bring my 20oz Yeti. The screen asks for a tip. I give a buck every once in a while, but am really annoyed every time. You see, at Einstein, you get your own coffee. So not only have I brought my own cup, I actually pour the coffee in said cup. The only function they served was making the coffee initially and ringing me up. I feel like the company should pay them for those duties, not me.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 19, 2024, 09:52:13 AM »

They incentivize you to use their app via free crap every so often, birthday drinks, etc.  The app used to ask you, after every purchase, how much you would like to tip.  They took that function away a year or so ago.  So now, you pay with the app, but if you don't have cash(lol, what's that) their employees get no tip.  Kinda wild. 

I assume they found some legal reason to stop doing this and just took the option away before they got sued, but who knows.  Given the tip environment everywhere else, this one is a head scratcher.

when you are checking out on the starbucks app it has the total at the bottom and then a little button that says "wanna leave a tip?" but you do not have to engage with that button in order to complete your order.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 19, 2024, 10:07:29 AM »
all you :kstategrad: just hit the tip button!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 19, 2024, 10:24:27 AM »

when you are checking out on the starbucks app it has the total at the bottom and then a little button that says "wanna leave a tip?" but you do not have to engage with that button in order to complete your order.

When you are scanning the bar code in the drive through, that isn't there.   It used to be a pop up after they scanned your app, though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 19, 2024, 10:25:53 AM »

I get my hair cut at a local salon called Great Clips, where you can buy a card that pre-buys X number of haircuts so when you're done you just swipe the card and that's it for the transaction. The problem is that it makes tipping impossible unless you have cash cause they cannot separately charge your credit card for just a tip.

I actually find that awkward cause I know those people cannot be making much money at all if they're not getting tips. Because you see, even though you might think the highest priority at Great Clips is a great haircut, they are also very focused on making the experience affordable with a great price.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 19, 2024, 10:35:02 AM »

When you are scanning the bar code in the drive through, that isn't there.   It used to be a pop up after they scanned your app, though.

am i to understand you are placing your order when you arrive instead of ordering ahead of time so its ready when you get there?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 19, 2024, 10:37:31 AM »

am i to understand you are placing your order when you arrive instead of ordering ahead of time so its ready when you get there?
drive through  scanning app.  not pre order

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 19, 2024, 11:17:34 AM »

I get my hair cut at a local salon called Great Clips, where you can buy a card that pre-buys X number of haircuts so when you're done you just swipe the card and that's it for the transaction. The problem is that it makes tipping impossible unless you have cash cause they cannot separately charge your credit card for just a tip.

I actually find that awkward cause I know those people cannot be making much money at all if they're not getting tips. Because you see, even though you might think the highest priority at Great Clips is a great haircut, they are also very focused on making the experience affordable with a great price.

Whether it's Great Clips or any barber shop I tip fairly generously. Most make it very personal and do a great job, and especially post pandemic they were hurting for business and it's worth throwing a few extra at them.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 19, 2024, 12:50:39 PM »

JFC, you're still going to Great Clips? I hope you bring cash every single time.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 19, 2024, 01:52:06 PM »
Wife cuts my hair, honestly does a better job than great clips. Maybe I should start tipping her?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 19, 2024, 01:54:00 PM »
Is there anything your wife cannot do?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 19, 2024, 02:22:12 PM »
Is there anything your wife cannot do?
Her cello playing has really gone downhill

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: Today at 12:25:21 AM »
Wife cuts my hair, honestly does a better job than great clips. Maybe I should start tipping her?
You should. Sometimes I give her just the tip. Hey Oh!!!  jk