Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1039264 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5175 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
To be fair, truly low income families generally do not pay taxes as is. So tax credits do nothing for them. These policies have the most impact on middle class families, who can afford to have 1-2 kids and are certainly free (but should not be encouraged) to have more. I would, however, be in favor of a substantial adoption tax credit.

I think you are confusing tax deductions with credits. Deductions reduce your taxable income, and therefore have less benefit to no benefit for people with income that's already below the standard deduction. Many tax credits are "refundable", meaning the gov pays you the credit whether you have any taxable income or not, as long as you file a return. So many tax credits are a huge subsidy to poors - especially the child tax credit. Granted, there are also tax credits for rich people stuff the poors could never afford, like electric cars.

I would much prefer tax reform that replaces credits with more generous deductions.
Then quit supoorting bad reform.

What am I supporting? I don't even know what the plan will be. The only thing I can say with some confidence is that GOP tax reform would likely be less shitty for me than Democrat tax reform. That's not saying much, but I'd rather be here than with President HRC. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5176 on: October 13, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
I don't especially mind the current system because I like playing the game. It's also nice to be encouraged to put money in the stock market or donate to charitable organizations or adopt children (I noticed there is a credit for that). But I would not complain at all if the loopholes were all gone tomorrow, especially if it presumably means quite a bit more money than I was making before.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: October 13, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
I don't especially mind the current system because I like playing the game. It's also nice to be encouraged to put money in the stock market or donate to charitable organizations or adopt children (I noticed there is a credit for that). But I would not complain at all if the loopholes were all gone tomorrow, especially if it presumably means quite a bit more money than I was making before.

Can you imagine a world in which you wouldn't need an accountant, or even TurboTax, to do your taxes? That would be some crazy crap. That's what the Trumpster should be championing - it's what the people want. Instead he's getting pulled into the swamp and just trying to clean things up around the edges.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »

Can you imagine a world in which you wouldn't need an accountant, or even TurboTax, to do your taxes? That would be some crazy crap. That's what the Trumpster should be championing - it's what the people want. Instead he's getting pulled into the swamp and just trying to clean things up around the edges.

Doesn't bother me at all.  It takes me about 3 hours to do my taxes, and it's a lot easier being generous with donations when it feels like you're getting 30% extra value out of it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »

He won't do that.  Ever.

He will keep it complicated and cut taxes for the very wealthy.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

So he wants to kill jobs?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »

He won't do that.  Ever.

Grats on the tax cut buddy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: October 13, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
It should just be a curve, why eff with brackets at all

That would be great

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
If we want to use tax credits to influence society I propose the following

* Credit for not being medically obese
* Deduction for preventative dental and physical exam...oh wait, Obama tried this and people flipped out
* Deduction based on miles driven under 12k

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: October 13, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
I'm on board with all of those. But the miles driven could be tough to audit.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: October 13, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »

That would be great

Yeah. Just do a quick integral and your taxes are won.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

That would be great

Yeah. Just do a quick integral and your taxes are won.

TurboTax would be great for that
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »

* Deduction for preventative dental and physical exam...oh wait, Obama tried this and people flipped out

I would still like my charity private school tuition deduction thx

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »

I would still like my charity private school tuition deduction thx
My list wasn't inclusive...but yeah cut that one.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: October 13, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: October 13, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

He won't do that.  Ever.

Grats on the tax cut buddy

thx, we are looking forward to them.  The current boat either needs a new stereo or I need to get a new boat.  These cuts will really help me decide

The Big Train

« Reply #5191 on: October 13, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: October 13, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »

thx, we are looking forward to them.  The current boat either needs a new stereo or I need to get a new boat.  These cuts will really help me decide

Did you let your boat or stereo lobbyist know what's up?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: October 15, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
This sort of stuff really needs to be a bigger thorn in his side.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/919591555308105728

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
I phoned an old friend, a Republican former member of Congress who keeps up with what’s going on. I scribbled notes as he talked:

Me: So what’s up? Is Corker alone, or are others also ready to call it quits with Trump?

He: All I know is they’re simmering over there.

Me: Flake and McCain have come pretty close.

He: Yeah. Others are thinking about doing what Bob did. Sounding the alarm. They think Trump’s nuts. Unfit. Dangerous.

Me: Well, they already knew that, didn’t they?

He: But now it’s personal. It started with the Sessions stuff. Jeff was as loyal as they come. Trump’s crapping on him was like kicking your puppy. And then, you know, him beating up on Mitch for the Obamacare fiasco. And going after Flake and the others.

Me: So they’re pissed off?

He: Not just that. I mean, they have thick hides. The personal stuff got them to notice all the other things. The wild stuff, like those threats to North Korea. Tillerson would leave tomorrow if he wasn’t so worried Trump would go nuclear, literally.

Me: You think Trump is really thinking nuclear war?

He: Who knows what’s in his head? But I can tell you this. He’s not listening to anyone. Not a soul. He’s got the nuclear codes and, well, it scares the hell out of me. It’s starting to scare all of them. That’s really why Bob spoke up.

Me: So what could they do? I mean, even if the whole Republican leadership was willing to say publicly he’s unfit to serve, what then?

He: Bingo! The emperor has no clothes. It’s a signal to everyone they can bail. Have to bail to save their skins. I mean, Trump could be the end of the whole goddam Republican party.

Me: If he starts a nuclear war, that could be the end of everything.

He: Yeah, right. So when they start bailing on him, the stage is set.

Me: For what?

He: Impeachment. 25th amendment.

Me: You think Republicans would go that far?

He: Not yet. Here’s the thing. They really want to get this tax bill through. That’s all they have going for them. They don’t want to face voters in ’18 or ’20 without something to show for it. They’re just praying Trump doesn’t do something really, really stupid before the tax bill.

Me: Like a nuclear war?

He: Look, all I can tell you is many of the people I talk with are getting freaked out. It’s not as if there’s any careful strategizing going on. Not like, well, do we balance the tax bill against nuclear war? No, no. They’re worried as hell.

They’re also worried about Trump crazies, all the ignoramuses he’s stirred up. I mean, Roy Moore? How many more of them do you need to destroy the party?

Me: So what’s gonna happen?

He: You got me. I’m just glad I’m not there anymore. Trump’s not just a moron. He’s a despicable human being. And he’s getting crazier. Paranoid. Unhinged. Everyone knows it.

I mean, we’re in crap up to our eyeballs with this guy.

http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-unraveling-donald-j-trump-684213

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: October 16, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
I phoned an old friend, a Republican former member of Congress who keeps up with what’s going on. I scribbled notes as he talked:

Me: So what’s up? Is Corker alone, or are others also ready to call it quits with Trump?

He: All I know is they’re simmering over there.

Me: Flake and McCain have come pretty close.

He: Yeah. Others are thinking about doing what Bob did. Sounding the alarm. They think Trump’s nuts. Unfit. Dangerous.

Me: Well, they already knew that, didn’t they?

He: But now it’s personal. It started with the Sessions stuff. Jeff was as loyal as they come. Trump’s crapping on him was like kicking your puppy. And then, you know, him beating up on Mitch for the Obamacare fiasco. And going after Flake and the others.

Me: So they’re pissed off?

He: Not just that. I mean, they have thick hides. The personal stuff got them to notice all the other things. The wild stuff, like those threats to North Korea. Tillerson would leave tomorrow if he wasn’t so worried Trump would go nuclear, literally.

Me: You think Trump is really thinking nuclear war?

He: Who knows what’s in his head? But I can tell you this. He’s not listening to anyone. Not a soul. He’s got the nuclear codes and, well, it scares the hell out of me. It’s starting to scare all of them. That’s really why Bob spoke up.

Me: So what could they do? I mean, even if the whole Republican leadership was willing to say publicly he’s unfit to serve, what then?

He: Bingo! The emperor has no clothes. It’s a signal to everyone they can bail. Have to bail to save their skins. I mean, Trump could be the end of the whole goddam Republican party.

Me: If he starts a nuclear war, that could be the end of everything.

He: Yeah, right. So when they start bailing on him, the stage is set.

Me: For what?

He: Impeachment. 25th amendment.

Me: You think Republicans would go that far?

He: Not yet. Here’s the thing. They really want to get this tax bill through. That’s all they have going for them. They don’t want to face voters in ’18 or ’20 without something to show for it. They’re just praying Trump doesn’t do something really, really stupid before the tax bill.

Me: Like a nuclear war?

He: Look, all I can tell you is many of the people I talk with are getting freaked out. It’s not as if there’s any careful strategizing going on. Not like, well, do we balance the tax bill against nuclear war? No, no. They’re worried as hell.

They’re also worried about Trump crazies, all the ignoramuses he’s stirred up. I mean, Roy Moore? How many more of them do you need to destroy the party?

Me: So what’s gonna happen?

He: You got me. I’m just glad I’m not there anymore. Trump’s not just a moron. He’s a despicable human being. And he’s getting crazier. Paranoid. Unhinged. Everyone knows it.

I mean, we’re in crap up to our eyeballs with this guy.

http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-unraveling-donald-j-trump-684213

Man, those sure are some hot takes from a "Republican former member of Congress who keeps up with what's going on." Why even post this trash?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: October 16, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
 :lol:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: October 16, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »

Man, those sure are some hot takes from a "Republican former member of Congress who keeps up with what's going on." Why even post this trash?

Agree this is not news at all. You’d have to be a complete dumbass to not already think Congress feels this way about Trump.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: October 16, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
You wimps need to appreciate that KazzDub has picked his horse and is backing him 100%.

KSUW is a Trump supporter through thick and thin. 

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
No one is denying that, kdub has been tooting the trump train since the primary