Author Topic: Kc restaurant suggestions  (Read 472511 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Kc restaurant suggestions
« Reply #4900 on: June 19, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
i love westside local, great beer garden and bonus points for being next to fervere and los alamos

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: June 19, 2018, 09:19:56 PM »
how likely is it that you'll meet a member of the decemberists while there?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: June 19, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
i’d say 7.6 out of 10

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »
i love westside local, great beer garden and bonus points for being next to fervere and los alamos

We just became best friends.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Westside Local - so the corn queso app was good, the burgers were fine but nothing mindblowing.   Service was actually good.   4.5/7

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: June 21, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: June 23, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
Freestyle poké is amazing.

Saviy opens July 3rd I've heard

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Kc restaurant suggestions
« Reply #4907 on: July 07, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »
Restaurant review for most everywhere I ate/drank during my trip to KC. Been to most of these places but a few new ones.

1. Grinders
Sunday afternoon, slice of pepperoni & garlic pizza and a Grinders Lager(?).  Good flavors on the slice, floppy and foldable. Just how I remembered.  Beer was refreshing on a warm day in front of the hot pizza oven. 5.5/7

2. Double Shift
Sunday afternoon, couple of beers and a growler of the lager. The IPAs currently on tap are too aggressively hoppy and citrusy for my taste, but seem to be of a style people like. Lager was good, dunkel was good. Great atmosphere. Been there twice now and haven’t run into KCFDCat. 5/7.

3. The Brick
Monday Night, patty melt, a half dozen pale ales and some rye whiskey. Rural Grit Happy Hour is always a great time.  6.66/7

4. Arthur Bryant’s
Tuesday lunch: Brisket sandwich and fries.  While Bryant’s is wildly inconsistent anymore, when it is good it is great. Brisket on a good day is the best in the city, and this was a good day. Early in the week at lunch seems to be a more consistently good time than weekends there for me over the last ten years.  Got ribs to go which were also pretty solid.
7/7

5. Johnny’s (119th Street)
Tuesday afternoon. Met a buddy for beers and the soccer game. Don’t remember who played at the moment, but it was the game that got tied up in stoppage time so they played another half hour before the team who tied it lost on penalties. Great fun. Solid suburban sports bar. 4/7

6. Some of what we ate on the 4th, 7/7.

6. Failed attempts to go to El Pollo Rey, Tacos on Wheels and Tacos El Tio with 8mandad because apparently all the Mexican restaurants in KCK were on vacation this week. 0/7.

Gave up and went to:
7. Stockyards Brewing (new to me)
Pretty good beer. Scottish ale and pale ales we're good. Neat atmosphere. DJamer was good even if it was a weird and totally unnecessary place for one.  Glad there is at least something going on in the west bottoms.
5/7

8. Brewery Emperial (new to me)
Thursday night: Wood fired half chicken, standing in for El Pollo Rey, and it was really good. Love the space, beer is solid, bartenders were friendly. 6.8/7

9.  The Peanut on Main
Friday Lunch. I rough ridin' love this bar. The area around it has changed a lot, but it is pretty much the same. 3 Wings + Cheese Fries. Boulevard Pale Ale(s). Soccer on TV with mostly non soccer fans there which is entertaining in its own way. Wings/fries were fine. Not the best I’ve had there, but whatever. 6/7

10. Westport Saloon
Friday dinner/drinks. Steak fajita burrito was decent.  Dad’s band was playing which was fun. Beers are pretty cheap, waitresses were good, and the music was good. Smells smoky, shared AC w/smoke shop next door maybe? Fun time. 5/7.

11. Succotash (new to me)
Saturday breakfast. Egg sandwich and blueberry pancake short stack.  Way more food than I expected for $7.60, and good too. Waiter kept the coffee full. Pretty generic hipster brunch joint, but good food and good prices. 5.5/7

Diet starts tomorrow!
:adios:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: July 07, 2018, 10:43:10 PM »
Restaurant review for most everywhere I ate/drank during my trip to KC. Been to most of these places but a few new ones.

1. Grinders
Sunday afternoon, slice of pepperoni & garlic pizza and a Grinders Lager(?).  Good flavors on the slice, floppy and foldable. Just how I remembered.  Beer was refreshing on a warm day in front of the hot pizza oven. 5.5/7

2. Double Shift
Sunday afternoon, couple of beers and a growler of the lager. The IPAs currently on tap are too aggressively hoppy and citrusy for my taste, but seem to be of a style people like. Lager was good, dunkel was good. Great atmosphere. Been there twice now and haven’t run into KCFDCat. 5/7.

3. The Brick
Monday Night, patty melt, a half dozen pale ales and some rye whiskey. Rural Grit Happy Hour is always a great time.  6.66/7

4. Arthur Bryant’s
Tuesday lunch: Brisket sandwich and fries.  While Bryant’s is wildly inconsistent anymore, when it is good it is great. Brisket on a good day is the best in the city, and this was a good day. Early in the week at lunch seems to be a more consistently good time than weekends there for me over the last ten years.  Got ribs to go which were also pretty solid.
7/7

5. Johnny’s (119th Street)
Tuesday afternoon. Met a buddy for beers and the soccer game. Don’t remember who played at the moment, but it was the game that got tied up in stoppage time so they played another half hour before the team who tied it lost on penalties. Great fun. Solid suburban sports bar. 4/7

6. Some of what we ate on the 4th, 7/7.

6. Failed attempts to go to El Pollo Rey, Tacos on Wheels and Tacos El Tio with 8mandad because apparently all the Mexican restaurants in KCK were on vacation this week. 0/7.

Gave up and went to:
7. Stockyards Brewing (new to me)
Pretty good beer. Scottish ale and pale ales we're good. Neat atmosphere. DJamer was good even if it was a weird and totally unnecessary place for one.  Glad there is at least something going on in the west bottoms.
5/7

8. Brewery Emperial (new to me)
Thursday night: Wood fired half chicken, standing in for El Pollo Rey, and it was really good. Love the space, beer is solid, bartenders were friendly. 6.8/7

9.  The Peanut on Main
Friday Lunch. I rough ridin' love this bar. The area around it has changed a lot, but it is pretty much the same. 3 Wings + Cheese Fries. Boulevard Pale Ale(s). Soccer on TV with mostly non soccer fans there which is entertaining in its own way. Wings/fries were fine. Not the best I’ve had there, but whatever. 6/7

10. Westport Saloon
Friday dinner/drinks. Steak fajita burrito was decent.  Dad’s band was playing which was fun. Beers are pretty cheap, waitresses were good, and the music was good. Smells smoky, shared AC w/smoke shop next door maybe? Fun time. 5/7.

11. Succotash (new to me)
Saturday breakfast. Egg sandwich and blueberry pancake short stack.  Way more food than I expected for $7.60, and good too. Waiter kept the coffee full. Pretty generic hipster brunch joint, but good food and good prices. 5.5/7

Diet starts tomorrow!
Brewery emperial food is awesome....I can't get over something in all of their beers that keeps me from loving the beers...but it's nice to have the full bar option.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
Jarocho on Kansas Ave is to fish what El Pollo Rey is to chicken. So good

Followed it up with the Lord Kenzo at the Farmhouse this morning. Ms. Abe got the eggs benedicts

Finally got there, south location very good

Lobster bisque with grilled torta bread. Amaze

Grilled Stuffed clams good

Paella huge and very good

Grilled Stuffed fish rough ridin' amazing

Excited to go back

They also had a lobster special
Grilled for 24.99

Nothing was overdone very solid experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »
Also, Olathe is allegedly getting a peanut a mile from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: July 18, 2018, 12:05:10 AM »
shake shack is under construction

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
 :party:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: July 18, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
Where is it going?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
Plaza

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: July 22, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
I went to LC's for the first time. Their burnt ends are good but their sausage is extraordinary. Like it's the size of a small meat loaf but tastes like perfect bbq sausage, with a nice crispy layer on the bottom. I've never seen anything like it. Smashed their jalep poppers and o rings to boot. They have one sauce and it leans toward the Bryant's end of the vinegary/sweet scale but not quite that vinegary. Pretty great.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: August 02, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
Tried Aerojuice for the first time today... Just opened at 11th and grand. The panini was meh (lots of cheese) but the meat was barely there and the bread sucked.... Their juice I got is too clear to actually be just ground up veggies.... Looks like green water.

I saw there was one in Manhattan.... Is my experience typical?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:31:03 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 02, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
Tried Aerojuice for the first time today... Just opened at 11th and grand. The panini was meh (lots of cheese) but the meat was barely there and the bread sucked.... Their juice I got is too clear to actually be juice ground up veggies.... Looks like green water.

I saw there was one in Manhattan.... Is my experience typical?

I've tried it more than once and it always sucks.

Waited like 20 minutes for a smoothie once.  Got a berry smoothie another time that had no sweetness which was really weird and terrible tasting.  I'm sticking to smoothie king.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 03, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
anyone been to Freshwater yet?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: September 20, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
my heavens sakes slaps is so great (cattleman's plate obvs) and now i have a mad case of the meat naps

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4920 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
Gojo - not very good!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
Haven't ventured to Freshwater yet.  Looks pretty good just an odd location.... Great for that neigborhood though.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
Haven't ventured to Freshwater yet.  Looks pretty good just an odd location.... Great for that neigborhood though.

going tonight!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
it looks like a good place to bird/lime to

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout