Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323406 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
What are the best ways to avoid getting shin splints for an overweight Canadian friend of mine who likes to occasionally (but not obsessively) run?

Also, he is getting really good at swimming lately, do you know if he is too old to go back and try out for the Manhattan Marlins?

yeah how do i avoid shin splints? they suck ass.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
That is a lot of time out of my week. anything that takes less and doesn't require a video game system?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
my wife does zumba 3 times a week.  seems pretty great.  thinking about giving it a go.

My wife does zumba and the kickboxing class.  Really thinking about kickboxing class because guy/girl ratio is better.  I'm not much of a hip-shaker....just a fist-pumper.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
That is a lot of time out of my week. anything that takes less and doesn't require a video game system?

no. stop being fat and poor.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
squat, bench, deadlift

Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
What are the best ways to avoid getting shin splints for an overweight Canadian friend of mine who likes to occasionally (but not obsessively) run?

Also, he is getting really good at swimming lately, do you know if he is too old to go back and try out for the Manhattan Marlins?

yeah how do i avoid shin splints? they suck ass.
motion control shoes

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Long distance running is the least efficient way to burn calories. Best thing for burning calories (if you're not trying to bulk up) is doing 10 40-meter dashes. Sprint 40 meters, walk back. As soon as you get back, sprint again, walk back. Repeat 10 times. It only takes 10-15 minutes (including stretching) and burns about as many calories as running 2 miles, possibly more.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »
Long distance running is the least efficient way to burn calories. Best thing for burning calories (if you're not trying to bulk up) is doing 10 40-meter dashes. Sprint 40 meters, walk back. As soon as you get back, sprint again, walk back. Repeat 10 times. It only takes 10-15 minutes (including stretching) and burns about as many calories as running 2 miles, possibly more.

what if you run 5-7.5 minute miles  :sdeek:

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
How much chest hair do I need to maintain to trick people into thinking I am in better shape than I really am?  :dunno:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »

Benja. Is this true? Also does it mean that shin splints will be worse, better, or same? (Obviously hitting the ground fewer times but the impact would probably be way more pound-y.) And you never answered my Manhattan Marlins question. Is it because I forgot to include a "tia"? Because, tia.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
How do I improve my vertical?

Offline Lynchmobrules

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
What is the easiest way for me to be able to DOB like DOB does in college basketball games? tia.
"Wednesday if they don't come in and compete, I am going to destroy them." - Frank Martin

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:36 PM »
I play basketball MWF mornings. When I go to the gym my showering/dressing is roughly 800 times more efficient so I decided to go lift weights (or something) Tuesday/Thursday.

Please give me a workout plan. Thanks.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:32 AM »

Kettle bell swings with elastic bands. Also, jumping onto 30'' ledges (give or take 6'' on either side) in between squat sets.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
What is the correlation between caloric intake and metabolism? Some say reduce too far and metabolism drops nullifying the caloric restriction (to some degree). Others say it has to be a massive amount for that to happen.

In short, how much should I eat per day to lose weight, but not exercising and still be able to drink on the weekends. TIA.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:49 AM »
If you starve yourself your body will take all nutrients and try to convert it to fat.  That's why you shouldn't go under the minimum calories when dieting or changing eating habits.  I did weight watchers about 5 years ago and experienced this.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »
If you starve yourself your body will take all nutrients and try to convert it to fat.  That's why you shouldn't go under the minimum calories when dieting or changing eating habits.  I did weight watchers about 5 years ago and experienced this.
:lol:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »

Why would you want to do that?  Do you have really high cupboards in your kitchen?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
Do you focus more on nutrition than exercise?

Think as nutrition as the foundation and the house as the exercise. You can't build the house without the foundation.

You can get in great shape without good nutrition. If you want to look the part then nutrition is the most important piece.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »
I hate eating right and refuse to take any supplements. Change my mind on this.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
wow, chingon's "tell me what to watch" thread was roughly 642 times better.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
yeah, benja seems like the kind of personal trainer that shows up 7 hours late and drunk.  guess I'll just go hit the elliptical. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
:lol:

It does, I mean if you starve yourself over a period of time you'll lose weight but who wants to do that?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »
yeah, benja seems like the kind of personal trainer that shows up 7 hours late and drunk.  guess I'll just go hit the elliptical. 
steve dave is like my uncle, I tell him exactly what electronics/computer to buy and he goes out and buys the opposite. THEN HE COMPLAINS!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
steve dave is like my uncle, I tell him exactly what electronics/computer to buy and he goes out and buys the opposite. THEN HE COMPLAINS!!!

I bought the exact laptop you suggested  :blank: