Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106305 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
why can't snyder's coaching staff solidify playing time at the offensive skill positions

arguing who our best back of our top 4 backs is after 9 games is hilario

We haven't had one true starting quarterback for an entire season since Colleien Klein left in 2012. Think about that.

This year and 2014 the #1 QB was very clear.

And last year was pretty clear too, until injury, no?

Hubener got pulled for lack of effectiveness more than once, including the bowl game.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
why can't snyder's coaching staff solidify playing time at the offensive skill positions

We haven't had one true starting quarterback for an entire season since Colleien Klein left in 2012. Think about that.

In '13 Sams only played in Wildcat type plays and when Waters got hurt.

or when Lockett was hurt

Offline purrkatz

• Fan
  • Realist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
how great would it be to see us run the ol' wishbone in Waco?

Are you Brooks Barta!?!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
the coaches aren't worried about player attrition based upon lack of playing time so it's not like they're worried on that front

maybe they recognize that the talent gap isn't so large that playing player a and b and c isn't a risk to the team's success

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
I know injuries are a part of football, but our quarterbacks being ground into dust as part of our gameplan/playcalling qualifies as terrible longterm decision making on the part of our coaches.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »

And last year was pretty clear too, until injury, no?

Hubener got pulled for lack of effectiveness more than once, including the bowl game.
Think he was saying Ertz was the clear #1 last year before going down

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »
I know injuries are a part of football, but our quarterbacks being ground into dust as part of our gameplan/playcalling qualifies as terrible longterm decision making on the part of our coaches.

I put this in another thread but it fits here and I firmly believe it. Maybe not 30 carries, but Ertz still needs to be a big part of our offense. QB run game and option is a major part of what makes this offense go; 10-12 option runs and 8-10 QB power/leads is a must.

I agree that there are ways to reduce Ertz's carries, but the threat of QB run game (especially read option which he seems very good at) is a reason why some of the RB runs are so effective. Also, I've been very impressed with Ertz's ability to make people miss and his burst. He's not especially fast, but he's a very effective runner, shoulder injury or no. Its not like a QB with a shoulder injury is some new development with a Snyder QB.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »
Connecting on the occasional home run play would reduce the need for him to run it 30 times a game.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2016, 12:27:58 AM »
I mean, Barnes is fine but he definitely isn't a standout among the top 4 RB's.

Is he?

Barnes is our strongest, biggest, and fastest back we have.  Yes, I said fastest.  He is head and shoulders the best RB we have and he is only a redshirt freshman. 

I'm not sure, but has he had a negative play? 

Damn!  He trippin' so hard fans are gonna think he done fell off!

Fastest? If he is it isn't by much. People get frustrated by Jones because he isn't a big play RB. I don't think Alex is either.

Yes, fastest and strongest.  People get frustrated with Jones because he is slow, dances and moves laterally too much.  Barnes has not lost a single yard all year.  He has good vision, runs down hill and runs over defenders.   Over 7 yards a carry is absolutely ridiculous. 

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »
Connecting on the occasional home run play would reduce the need for him to run it 30 times a game.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ertz's arm is currently barely above KSU Cat Grant Gregory.    :dubious:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
I mean, Barnes is fine but he definitely isn't a standout among the top 4 RB's.

Is he?

Barnes is our strongest, biggest, and fastest back we have.  Yes, I said fastest.  He is head and shoulders the best RB we have and he is only a redshirt freshman. 

I'm not sure, but has he had a negative play? 

Fastest? If he is it isn't by much. People get frustrated by Jones because he isn't a big play RB. I don't think Alex is either.

Yes, fastest and strongest.  People get frustrated with Jones because he is slow, dances and moves laterally too much.  Barnes has not lost a single yard all year.  He has good vision, runs down hill and runs over defenders.   Over 7 yards a carry is absolutely ridiculous. 

I like Alex, he was great to my kids last week BTW, but these stats as a comparison is ridiculous. Jones has 98 carries, Barnes has 27. I'm pretty comfortable saying that if Barnes had 98 carries he wouldn't be averaging 7.8 ypc and would have a few rushes for loss.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
If you have a back averaging 7.8 ypc, he isn't getting the ball enough.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
He should have more but he is a freshman.

i'd bet he gets a great workload down the stretch except for passing downs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »

Oh I agree, just taking exception to the comparison

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »

Oh I agree, just taking exception to the comparison

I understand that he has less carries, but the fact that he doesn't have a negative play yet is pretty amazing and I am certain that Jones wasn't averaging anywhere near 7 ypc after his first 27 or any string of 27 carries within his 98. 

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
And here is another couple of stats on Barnes.  Not only does he have yet to have a negative play, but he has yet to gain less than 2 yards on a run.  Of his 27 carries, all but 7 of them were 5 yards or more.  20 out of 27 rushes are 5 yards or more.  He is averaging 7.8 ypc.  Jones averaged 10 last game going 7-70 with half of that coming off of one run of 35. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
Time to fire this badboy back up. Here are just a few from the Vandy game:

----In the 3rd quarter of a closely contested, extremely low-scoring game in which we were struggling to move the ball, we finally put together a good drive and get well into field goal range. It's 3rd and 11 (I think), we're on the right hash, and we decide to run a shovel pass that moves a few yards forward and not close to a first down. Field goal time.

...Oh crap, on that 3rd down we accidentally ran a play that didn't even come close to going to the strong side of the field to center the ball (or even put it on the left hash) for our right-footed kicker! Oh well, right footed kicker, right hash, weird angle...what could go wrong? Oh damn, we missed the field goal by a foot. To the right. HEY MORONS, HOW ABOUT ON THIRD DOWN YOU CALL A PLAY ON THAT GOES TO THE SIDE OF THE FIELD THAT, IF IT FAILS, WILL AT LEAST SORT OF CENTER THE BALL FOR OUR RIGHT-FOOTED FIELD GOAL KICKER? (or put it on the left hash, which is significantly easier for a right-footed kicker than kicking from the right hash?)

----Every single time we ran an option, it went for 14 or more yards. We ran it twice all game. Probably should throw long bombs instead. On a night where either our quarterback can't see/hit an open man, or, when he does, they can't catch it.

----SOOOOO many plays were called (in the first half especially) where Ertz had to throw all the way across the field to try to pick up like three rough ridin' yards. See previous point about accuracy/catching.

----I know our idiot coaches are notorious for never knowing how to ride the hot hand, but Jesus Christ. How obvious was it that Justin Silmon should've carried more in that second half? Nah, nah, it's cool, we should just keep trying to have Jesse Ertz try the repeated Collin Klein battering ram offense instead, even though that isn't working.

Dimel is an idiot and I'm like TCU 2015 levels of pissed off after this one.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:19:53 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
Oh, and our clock management at the end of the game was completely laughable. Zero urgency, which I put on the coaches, and a couple times when we either should've called time out but didn't, or called time out after letting a bunch of time run off the clock.

No idea because I was at the game...did our coaches even notice/raise a stink to the refs when, around 2:40 left in the 4Q, a play went out of bounds and they still ran :20 off the clock before the next snap? Probably not because they are all olds.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:23:32 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
Oh, and our clock management at the end of the game was completely laughable. Zero urgency, which I put on the coaches, and a couple times when we either should've called time out but didn't, or called time out after letting a bunch of time run off the clock.

No idea because I was at the game...did our coaches even notice/raise a stink to the refs when, around 2:40 left in the 4Q, a play went out of bounds and they still ran :20 off the clock before the next snap? Probably not because they are all olds.

Clock starts back up after spotting after going out of bounds when it's not under 2 minutes in a half.  Same timing rules as a first down.  They changes that rule before the 2011 season.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2017, 06:43:12 AM »
Ahh. Well that's probably what it was then. Dunno how I missed that, but :clac:

Still horrendous clock management at the end, though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:54:08 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »
They stopped us with a minute left inside the 15. There was plenty of time, we were clearly playing for the tie and overtime.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:36 AM »

Clock starts back up after spotting after going out of bounds when it's not under 2 minutes in a half.  Same timing rules as a first down.  They changes that rule before the 2011 season.
That is a dog crap rule

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »
Naw it's good
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »

That is a dog crap rule

And did anyone notice that they forgot to call the two-minute warning! Incredible!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »

That is a dog crap rule

And did anyone notice that they forgot to call the two-minute warning! Incredible!

:D buds :cheers: