Author Topic: Jermaine Whitehead out vs. KSU  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
Re: Jermaine Whitehead out vs. KSU
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
Heard from a couple of friends with extremely high FBIQ that Auburn's defense is actually more effective without this Whitehead character on the field

Wasn't happy to hear this news

Offline Denim Vest

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
Heard from a couple of friends with extremely high FBIQ that Auburn's defense is actually more effective without this Whitehead character on the field

Wasn't happy to hear this news

I'd have to double check the stats, which I won't, but I'm pretty sure we haven't allowed a point with him not on the field since 2012.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 08:40:32 AM »
Any word on how the Arby's ( :drool:) fans feel about losing this guy ?

Fairly significant loss. Filling the position with another capable player won't be as much an issue as not having his experience and leadership on the field. Holsey will likely fill his spot. Holsey was a starting safety last year before tearing his ACL about halfway thru the season. Ford and Moncrief are more than capable athleticly. Just not sure they can be leaders/directors in their first road games in that position.

It's crazy how many were saying before the season started how they didn't think Whitehead should start, and now they're raising hell about him not being there. Definitely going to hurt not having him on the field, but I'm more concerned about how our DL and LBs handle the run game, especially the QB designed run, than I am the passing attack. Most Auburn fans had conceded Waters and Lockett would have success through the air.

Its not just the loss, but the timing of the loss. The guy had practiced all week for this game and then suddenly he's not here. I'm sure you have a talented back-up, but the mental aspect of preparing for K-State and our personnel and diverse offense will take a toll. The guy will make several big mistakes, I just hope K-State is able to take advantage.

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
Two schools of thought are rambling through my head about this.
1.  The coaches can start a true freshman who is a bonafide safety but is well under the mendoza line.  This option would open things up for your QB running game no doubt.

b.  They can start the two "Star" linebackers at the Star and Safety spots.  This would be a huge help against your QB run game, but would allow for more wide open receivers streaking down the sidelines.

Either way, the defense is fracked.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
guys, good news for us. just found out auburn has a position they call the "star".

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
guys, good news for us. just found out auburn has a position they call the "star".

what a bunch of hippies

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Good post lukeshea

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
He's a highway star

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »
I'm still not sure why any sec defense would risk injury playing a 1st stringer against an FCS school. Rest those fellas for those sec offenses aka "the buzzsaw"

i love how facetious you are... acting like kansas state isn't the 7th highest ranked team left on auburn's schedule.

Valid point. Mid/late September rankings are basically a snapshot of how the final rankings are going to shake out.

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
This is the first real incident as such that I can remember happening in a while. Even then, it was between players. Not gonna lie, things were out of control somewhat in Chiziks last year. Gus has done a great job cleaning that mess up and I am glad. I come from the old school where you respect you elders and if you don't, you pay the hefty price. If in fact Whitehead was fighting with the coach, he should be cut. I do believe in second chances, so perhaps he can rejoin the team but he better pay that hefty price not only for him but the rest of the team.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
I'm still not sure why any sec defense would risk injury playing a 1st stringer against an FCS school. Rest those fellas for those sec offenses aka "the buzzsaw"

i love how facetious you are... acting like kansas state isn't the 7th highest ranked team left on auburn's schedule.

Valid point. Mid/late September rankings are basically a snapshot of how the final rankings are going to shake out.

only because so many of those teams play 4-6 games against each other while kansas state will do battle with texas tech, iowa state and kansas.