Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135470 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »
I am going to build steel offroad bumpers for my pickup.
K-K-State0
denied (assuming its done for purpose and not to be a broseidon)

Isn't the purpose off-roading in your pickup? :whistle1:
:adios:

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »

Just started peeling the wallpaper off and have about half done, should have it painted by the end of the weekend and then I can start on the cabinets while I'm off next week. Not a big woodworker so I'll probably just do the cabinet transformation seven mentioned earlier, seems like a lot less sanding and work. Will post results.
How's the wall paper going? That's also awful from my experience.

The rustoleum approach seems much better. I'd still be afraid I wouldn't get an even finish, but I'm terrible at painting.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Wall paper can be super pud if originally installed correctly.  Unfortunately,  that isn't always the case and then its worse than trying to remove your own foot with a paint scraper and without alcohol.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
Is there anyone in the world that's good at caulking around tubs/showers?  Seems impossible to be good at that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Is there anyone in the world that's good at caulking around tubs/showers?  Seems impossible to be good at that.

I hate caulking in general. Its a mess.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
Yes, I'm good at it. Lots of practice unfortunately.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
Definitely requires practice. I'm not good but I've improved my results with one of those caulk finishing tools, cutting only a small, diagonal hole at the end of that plastic tip on the tube, and keep a wet rag and bucket of water close.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »

Just started peeling the wallpaper off and have about half done, should have it painted by the end of the weekend and then I can start on the cabinets while I'm off next week. Not a big woodworker so I'll probably just do the cabinet transformation seven mentioned earlier, seems like a lot less sanding and work. Will post results.
How's the wall paper going? That's also awful from my experience.

The rustoleum approach seems much better. I'd still be afraid I wouldn't get an even finish, but I'm terrible at painting.

The wall paper sucks because it has a plastic liquid proof layer on the outside, you really have to score the crap out of it...Took me a while to get the hang of it again, the key is to score it, soak it, then peel off the top layer in one piece. Then you can soak the bottom layer and it comes right off with the scraper.

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
Definitely requires practice. I'm not good but I've improved my results with one of those caulk finishing tools, cutting only a small, diagonal hole at the end of that plastic tip on the tube, and keep a wet rag and bucket of water close.

Let's not over complicate this fellas. Get some painters tape and place the tape along the caulk line where you ideally like to have the caulk end. Then you caulk and immediately remove the tape. Voila perfect lines and looking pro-like. No need for water or any tools unless your really bad at putting down tape.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »

Let's not over complicate this fellas. Get some painters tape and place the tape along the caulk line where you ideally like to have the caulk end. Then you caulk and immediately remove the tape. Voila perfect lines and looking pro-like. No need for water or any tools unless your really bad at putting down tape.

I hate using painters tape. Even when I paint (I'm a good painter, but hate it) I never tape and just cut in neatly and carefully.

I can caulk decent, it ends up looking fine, I just don't like it and its messy. Plus there is the difference between fine, neat caulking in a bathroom with good quality silicone, and then there is exterior paint pre-caulking (or camouflage) which is just a big mess all around.

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »

I hate using painters tape. Even when I paint (I'm a good painter, but hate it) I never tape and just cut in neatly and carefully.

I can caulk decent, it ends up looking fine, I just don't like it and its messy. Plus there is the difference between fine, neat caulking in a bathroom with good quality silicone, and then there is exterior paint pre-caulking (or camouflage) which is just a big mess all around.

My recommendation was for inside. Done this w caulk on kitchen counters and it's looks perfect everytime and takes just a few minutes. Outside is like WGAF. I'll just paint it anyway.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

My recommendation was for inside. Done this w caulk on kitchen counters and it's looks perfect everytime and takes just a few minutes. Outside is like WGAF. I'll just paint it anyway.

True.

Even in the interior I still don't like taping. (Mainly because I'm lazy)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
i don't like taping either, fan.  i find that no matter how nice the tape, you're going to get better results being careful with a careful, steady hand.

my bathtub, however, looks like it was caulked by a third grader (me)

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
i don't like taping either, fan.  i find that no matter how nice the tape, you're going to get better results being careful with a careful, steady hand.

A bathtub is about 6 ft long. You're telling me you can't tape 6 ft in a straight line? Maybe you should call a handyman.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »

A bathtub is about 6 ft long. You're telling me you can't tape 6 ft in a straight line? Maybe you should call a handyman.

did not say i can't tape 6 ft in a straight line

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

did not say i can't tape 6 ft in a straight line

Its an easy way to get good results. Never had a problem with it. You should give it a try.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Its an easy way to get good results. Never had a problem with it. You should give it a try.

might have to give it a whirl for caulking, that bathtub is an abortion :thumbs:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
Let's say you get some caulk on the tape.  When you remove the tape, doesn't it pull caulk from the areas where you want caulk?  Lke, surface tension, right?

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
Let's say you get some caulk on the tape.  When you remove the tape, doesn't it pull caulk from the areas where you want caulk?  Lke, surface tension, right?

Not if you don't wait awhile to remove it. I suppose if you looked closely you may seem some of that surface tension you speak of but I've never noticed it.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Well where the eff were you last weekend lil smoky!  :shakesfist:

(For real tho,  :cheers:)

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
You guys know what one of the worst construction jobs is? The waterproofing/caulking guys.  Like maybe only pipe insulators have a worse job.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2013, 02:06:07 PM »
You guys know what one of the worst construction jobs is? The waterproofing/caulking guys.  Like maybe only pipe insulators have a worse job.

Roofers. 

Also, spray on fireproofing. 

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »

Roofers. 

Also, spray on fireproofing.

Good additions. That fireproofing stuff just LOOKS like cancer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
taping a 6 foot straight line is actually really hard

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
taping a 6 foot straight line is actually really hard

Don't get all engineer'ey on this.  You just pull the tape out, put one side down, pull it taught and lay it down slowly as straight looking as possible using surrounding lines and angles as reference.  If you don't notice the tape as not being straight with a little review once it is stuck down, you won't notice the caulk not being perfectly straight once it is installed.